Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What’s the most useful thing you can do when asked to help on house moving day!

(34 Posts)
Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:56:44

I am disproportionately excited to be asked to help DS,DIL and DGS (16 mnths) move house next week. Luckily, they are moving from a small flat in an area about to go into Tier 2, to their first house in a much quieter Tier 1 area so at the moment we will still be able to help.
I am awaiting instructions and trying to resist giving advice unless asked so wonder if any GNers have any tips about how to be most useful on the day? It may just be a case of keeping DGS entertained (and out of the way!) which is fine by me.

Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:39:41

A bottle of Champagne to celebrate when it’s all over?

PamelaJ1 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:03:28

Everyone needs a meryl when they move. Especially one that can carry a baby round on her back whilst hoovering.

Callistemon Fri 16-Oct-20 14:10:15

MerylStreep

Callistamon
Such a shame your in lockdown ? otherwise I'd be there in a shot.

I think my mum brought the wrong baby home, you must be my mum's daughter, Meryl!

Oops, can't be, I was born at home. I just didn't inherit her cleaning gene.
Ps I do do it, but don't enjoy it.

Callistemon Fri 16-Oct-20 14:11:28

Especially one that can carry a baby round on her back whilst hoovering.
And stirring a bit pot of something delicious on the stove with the other hand!

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 16-Oct-20 14:21:37

We very recently moved into a spotlessly clean, brand new house. We moved ourselves so it was exhausting and back breaking. As we moved so far away from family and friends we were very much on our own. Anyway, the point is that we were too busy to stop to make cups of tea, sandwiches, get some fresh groceries etc. By the end of the first day I was so tired I couldn't even make a decent meal. So, if all you do is make tea, sandwiches and cook a nice supper I am sure that will help masses.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 16-Oct-20 14:29:33

When we last moved house OH was working abroad. My mum helped me to pack and stayed overnight. When we arrived at the new house it was filthy. Mum got on with the cleaning. I had left our old house so clean you could have eaten off the floor! A friend brought round a delicious lunch for us. My daughter helped with the move a d a friend looked after my two sons for the day. The removal men were brilliant. In fact everyone mucked in. Maybe people felt sorry for me as OH went away before contracts were exchanged and came home three days after we moved. He couldn’t remember the address to give to the taxi driver.

Alexa Fri 16-Oct-20 14:31:44

Make up your bed in the new house.

Missfoodlove Fri 16-Oct-20 15:33:53

I have 13 moves under my belt?.
Always make the beds as soon as you can, nothing worse than bed making when exhausted!
Have a picnic lunch sorted.
Make sure you have a tool kit, cleaning kit and obviously tea, coffee, sugar and biscuits.
Good luck.