Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do I tip or not ??

(89 Posts)
felice Wed 21-Oct-20 07:56:18

Good morning, I have my first online delivery arriving tomorrow afternoon
Do I tip the delivery driver or not?. Belgium not the UK but delivery is delivery.
I live in a basement garden flat and they will bring everything downstairs for me.

Happysexagenarian Wed 21-Oct-20 13:20:06

No.

Lindaylou55 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:26:34

I do not tip my food delivery drivers, but I do give a present to my "regulars" at Christmas, I also give the coalman, postman and bin men a box of beer at Christmas. We have had a few heavy items delivered in the last few months and tipped the drivers of those.

sodapop Wed 21-Oct-20 13:30:51

Seems odd to me that most people generously tip their hairdresser but think it inappropriate to tip anyone else.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:44:08

Would you usually tip for a service like this in Belgium?

We wouldn't in Denmark, so I think you should keep to local custom.

jenni123 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:50:20

I always do, whoever is delivering.

travelsafar Wed 21-Oct-20 13:53:02

I think i would at Christmas time, especially if it was a regular person. We always use to put money in an envelope for our postman with a card thanking him, now we never see our postman as he calls at all times of the day, sometimes at 7pm!!!

Astral Wed 21-Oct-20 13:59:29

I only give tips for takeaway deliveries, I think those are usually low paid. I don't think delivery drivers in general are paid based on the expectation of a tip.

Because people in the restaurant industry are often paid on the expectation of tips I like to be safe.

Lizzytut Wed 21-Oct-20 14:04:07

We always tip our ocado man £5

felice Wed 21-Oct-20 14:07:31

They get the living wage here, 1560€ per month a friend was a manager in one of the stores and DD asked him.
They deliver to 4 floors here automatically so down one is normal.
As I said I have never used this service before, the only online I use at all is for an online Toy shop called Dreamland and they use Bpost, our Royal Mail.

Largolass Wed 21-Oct-20 14:12:21

I only tip my Sainsbury's delivery driver at Christmas but I ask if they would like a bottle of water when I'm handing back the empty crates and most accept.

Rowsie Wed 21-Oct-20 14:20:33

No need to tip.

Nightsky2 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:26:44

One delivery man from Tesco told me that they were not allowed to accept tips. I don’t tip my hairdresser as I think he charges enough, I’m in and out in 20mins and he charges me £45 for a cut and blow dry and he’s the owner of the salon. We always tip our Postman and newspaper delivery man at Christmas and always tip in restaurants.
A few weeks ago we had a man in to do some work in the kitchen and my husband gave him £20 as a thank you, he was self employed by a company who paid him £120 a day which isn’t a lot and he was a very nice man and he did a good job.

diygran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:39:54

On a previous thread on this topic a few months ago, I said I always tipped our Asda/Tesco delivery drivers £5 during lockdown.
Now I'm not tipping. Dont use cash when shopping on high street so its difficult to get change for a tip.

felice Wed 21-Oct-20 14:50:19

`£45 for a cut and blow dry,,, I am 'finally' going on Saturday, cut and colour 45€.
SIL goes nearby for a gents cut in a posh shop 52€
DD is sick of telling him, my one has won awards his is a chain one.
Mine will not accept a tip as I am disabled and 'old' his words not mine.
As he is 57 and I am 66 I was not amused, but he and his partner are really good hairdressers.

Theoddbird Wed 21-Oct-20 14:56:01

No.

Kseniya Wed 21-Oct-20 14:57:19

usually not. but why not leave - if he pleased you, delivered quickly, was friendly, helped with big delivery, and so on. that is, it's up to you

Greciangirl Wed 21-Oct-20 15:02:24

Surely most deliveries are now contactless.
A quick ring of the doorbell and they are of.

I certainly don’t want to hand my delivery person anything.
Just a quick thank you will suffice.

suziewoozie Wed 21-Oct-20 15:08:24

Greciangirl

Surely most deliveries are now contactless.
A quick ring of the doorbell and they are of.

I certainly don’t want to hand my delivery person anything.
Just a quick thank you will suffice.

Online supermarket deliveries may involve more than that - for example, we have nowhere to leave the goods or we may want to say which subs we want. We don’t hand anything to anyone btw - when we see the van arriving, we put the envelope under a stone by the gate for him to pick up

Craftycat Wed 21-Oct-20 15:35:21

I'd have a job! Our local delivery man rings the bell & is back in his van before I get to the door! I might add I move very fast too!
I see they are suggesting that they collect parcels from us now too so he may have to slow down a bit.

StoneofDestiny Wed 21-Oct-20 18:42:49

No - never, it's a service you pay for and the delivery staff are paid to do. Just say thank you

Glenfinnan Wed 21-Oct-20 18:50:04

No don’t tip

craftyone Wed 21-Oct-20 18:55:00

No tip. They are doing a job for which they get paid

Eloethan Wed 21-Oct-20 19:10:59

A minimum wage is a poverty wage. It's up to people what they do but I generally tip most people because so many workers were having a really difficult time even before Covid.

Aepgirl Wed 21-Oct-20 19:12:09

No, of course not. You have already paid for delivery.

suziewoozie Wed 21-Oct-20 19:38:01

Aepgirl

No, of course not. You have already paid for delivery.

No I haven’t / WR deliveries are free