Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do I tip or not ??

(89 Posts)
felice Wed 21-Oct-20 07:56:18

Good morning, I have my first online delivery arriving tomorrow afternoon
Do I tip the delivery driver or not?. Belgium not the UK but delivery is delivery.
I live in a basement garden flat and they will bring everything downstairs for me.

MawB2 Wed 21-Oct-20 19:46:57

Of course you pay for your delivery Suziewoozie it is factored into WR prices. There is no such thing as a free lunch!
As to couriers do you remember how GG used to give them drinks and packets of crisps or sandwiches? I thought it OTT at the time, but all the more so on learning recently that couriers are paid only £1 per parcel, so you can understand how they want to be back in their van and on their way ASAP.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 21-Oct-20 19:55:07

No

suziewoozie Wed 21-Oct-20 21:29:55

MawB2

Of course you pay for your delivery Suziewoozie it is factored into WR prices. There is no such thing as a free lunch!
As to couriers do you remember how GG used to give them drinks and packets of crisps or sandwiches? I thought it OTT at the time, but all the more so on learning recently that couriers are paid only £1 per parcel, so you can understand how they want to be back in their van and on their way ASAP.

I don’t pay extra for my delivery do I compared with going to the shop in person? Don’t be so patronising

arosebyanyothername Wed 21-Oct-20 21:56:04

I haven't in the past but since we were in lockdown I have.
I'm grateful to these delivery drivers for putting themselves on the line.
My personal point of view

arosebyanyothername Wed 21-Oct-20 21:58:50

Supermarket delivery drivers that is!

Juicylucy Wed 21-Oct-20 22:02:01

In my close during lockdown everyone left can of drinks and biscuits and cakes for the drivers in a box on there doorsteps they were gratefully received but that was lockdown,

MawB2 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:05:12

I don’t pay extra for my delivery do I compared with going to the shop in person? Don’t be so patronising

Not patronising Suziewoozie just telling it like it is.
I don’t pay extra either but until recently the minimum order for free delivery was £60 - admittedly now dropped to £40- so how many people do you think will add just a few more things to their order to bring it up to the minimum? That’s how they boost sales and consequently profits.
It’s not patronising but I really don’t think you can know all that much about retail philosophy if you think anything is free!

suziewoozie Wed 21-Oct-20 22:14:44

MawB2

^I don’t pay extra for my delivery do I compared with going to the shop in person? Don’t be so patronising^

Not patronising Suziewoozie just telling it like it is.
I don’t pay extra either but until recently the minimum order for free delivery was £60 - admittedly now dropped to £40- so how many people do you think will add just a few more things to their order to bring it up to the minimum? That’s how they boost sales and consequently profits.
It’s not patronising but I really don’t think you can know all that much about retail philosophy if you think anything is free!

You are continuing to patronise me. WR deliveries did not cost me a penny extra - I don’t care what other people did about reaching the £60 - I ordered about every 10 days to avoid that obvious trap.

MawB2 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:25:08

Well God bless Waitrose’s little cotton socks for doing that out of the goodness of their heart.
Obviously sales figures and profit margins don’t feature in their thinking gringrin

suziewoozie Wed 21-Oct-20 22:37:08

MawB2

Well God bless Waitrose’s little cotton socks for doing that out of the goodness of their heart.
Obviously sales figures and profit margins don’t feature in their thinking gringrin

Pathetic patronising post - what is the matter with you?

nipsmum Thu 22-Oct-20 10:15:15

I don't tip anyone for doing their job.I was never given a tip for doing my job.

earnshaw Sun 25-Oct-20 01:44:34

i have started home delivery with tesco since the pandemic started as we are shielding and did not want to go to supermarkets, at one time i would have never dreamt of home deliveries but needs must, as for tipping,, my delivery driver is rarely the same and I was wondering about christmas tipping, if it was always the same driver it would be different, i must say though, all the drivers are lovely, really friendly, cheerful and helpful

Alishka Sun 25-Oct-20 01:58:11

I've got a stash of those Bank coin bags and 2.00 in one of those is for my Morrisons delivery bloke. Worth every penny.
My binmen will get a 4-pack at Christmas.