Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anxious time, what to do?

(69 Posts)
hollysteers Fri 23-Oct-20 11:18:15

My single younger brother in Scotland is going through a very bad time, his son is in prison, has mental issues and is on the phone to him every day affecting his health and well-being. He has a couple of trials coming up and my brother dreads him being let out next year sometime, but nothing is certain. He is a rather dangerous individual sadly and wants to return to live with my brother (his mother is dead) which would be a disaster.
My brother would like to stay with me for a break for a few days as he does in normal circumstances as we are very close, but I am in Level 3 and not sure what to do. I would love to give him a much needed break, I have plenty of space to keep our distance. Would this situation fall into vital care or similar?

grannie7 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:16:23

The OP hasn’t said she is
already in a bubble so there is
no need to worry her brother
needs help so if it were me and
I had no bubble I would do one with
my brother if of cause I had been
lucky to have one.

polnan Sun 25-Oct-20 10:22:16

I would have my brother stay with me..

only wish he was still alive..

Soozikinzi Sun 25-Oct-20 10:23:22

Yes I agree with everyone else let him come and stay as part of your bubble

silverlining48 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:27:45

Suggest your brother takes Iams good advice re contacting the prison with his concerns.

lemsip Sun 25-Oct-20 10:28:18

it's the posters 'single younger Brother who has a son'!!! NOT the posters son. re read the original post if not sure!

EllanVannin Sun 25-Oct-20 10:32:01

To save unnecessary worry for yourself and your brother, have him there with you. It's as simple as that !

Suzey Sun 25-Oct-20 10:34:11

Let him come and stay stop worrying

Esspee Sun 25-Oct-20 10:36:25

Have him visit and perhaps look into ways of him moving closer to you so that he can get away from his son.

Kseniya Sun 25-Oct-20 10:39:43

if I correctly understood the situation now.
psychological therapy is important to him! today, psychological health is no less important than physical, if it is possible for someone to do this - help him! so that his life can return to normal.
patience and strength to you!

grannybuy Sun 25-Oct-20 10:40:52

The very first post was also from the OP, saying that she is in a bubble with a son, but sees him infrequently. It was slightly confusing.

grannie7 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:46:26

grannybuy
Your right I didn’t register that post
apologies to all

Illte Sun 25-Oct-20 10:53:46

I think you should, in good conscience, ask yourself how likely it is that this action will spread the virus. It is what we should all ask ourselves every time, regardless of "rules" which cannot cover every individual circumstance.

So what you consider is what is the level of infection in his area? How much does he mix with others? How will he get to you? If the incidence in his area is low, he only goes out for food and he's coming in his car, the risk that he will add oread the virus is minimal.

Then think about his short break with you. You are in an area of high infection. How much do you go out? Will you and he go out while he is with you? Again his travel arrangements, will he mix with others? Will he be mixing when he gets home again?

Depending on the answer to these question the risk of his spreading the virus is moderate to very high.

If it's high or very high then I would suggest that the good of others trumps his need for a break and your need to support him.

Sometimes we need to use our head rather than our heart.

icanhandthemback Sun 25-Oct-20 10:58:15

Hollysteers, my daughter has mental health issues and we are allowed to have her visit. I also visit her because of her issues. My mother is also in need of my help so I have to go in and out of her house. If it wasn't me, it would be 2 different carers who were mixing with many other people. My daughter's last carer had to got when she was still partying through lockdown! None of it is ideal and I am exhausted but much needed, corona virus or not.

Craftycat Sun 25-Oct-20 11:01:34

Of course you must let your brother come to stay if he wants to.
The guidelines are just that- guidelines.
You will feel so ,much better having him rather than worrying about him all the time & I'm sure he needs the break.
Good luck with it all.

Dee1012 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:05:33

There's an organisation called "Families Outside" who offer support to the families of people in prison (Scotland). I'd suggest contacting them for advice.
Regarding your brother....of course he should stay with you for a break, while I appreciate the time we are in, I also think there are some things that are more important.

Jillybird Sun 25-Oct-20 11:06:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sooze58 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:11:47

I feel for you, but you haven’t said what tier your brother (likewise your son) is unless I’ve missed it. I think it is a welfare situation but regardless of that you both want to be safe - Covid takes no account of welfare! I would have gone but somehow one or both of you need to isolate before or after, dependent on risk and tiers. What an awful situation fir your son to be in. All the best.

Sooze58 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:13:42

Just read that back and notice my errors! An awful situation for your brother. I would have him stay subject to isolation!

Lancslass1 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:14:22

I think by now you know what to do ,Hollysteers.
Let your brother come to stay.
If neither of you is in another bubble that is fine.
If you are ,exit the present bubble and you can return at a later date as Jillybird suggests.
All the bes5 to you.

icanhandthemback Sun 25-Oct-20 11:18:43

I meant to add to my previous post, if your brother is having issues, I would not hesitate to have my brother to stay. I would recommend he had a test first to check he hasn't got Covid-19 and that he isolates for a few days before he comes for both your sakes. It's what they do before you fly or enter hospital so it seems a good precaution.
As to your brother's son, I suggest he approaches the Prison and talks to them about his release. He needs to make it clear that he cannot have his son to live with him but his son will need support for his mental health issues if he is not going to keep returning to the prison. If he hasn't been to trial yet, it might be worth contacting his solicitor to ask if your brother can be included in the pre-sentencing reports so that the court is aware of his needs. I don't know if that is possible but I do know that when my ex had reports done, they came to speak to me about what his home life would be like.

micky987 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:23:59

My concern is with the nephew who is suffering from mental health issues. If the brother stays wiTh the OP will he still take phone calls from his son? The nephew may be in prison but due to mental health he might be scared, confused, knows he does bad things but is confused because he cant control what he does. He clearly needs at the very least, emotional comfort which is probably why he calls his Dad every day.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:26:43

Have your brother to stay and then both of you can self isolate if you feel it is necessary. Good luck.?

GoldenAge Sun 25-Oct-20 11:31:01

This is definitely a welfare issue and you should invite your brother despite your bubbling with your son who you see infrequently. It makes absolutely no difference. You and your brother live alone and for a few days or weeks you could live together without endangering anyone. Indeed you could invite your brother to come and be your employee doing odd jobs and that would be perfectly OK because it would be classed as helping the economy. Frankly, as long as you can have your cleaner in your house on however many occasions a week you wish and still remain in your bubble, it's incredulous to think it would be wrong by anybody's standards to reject your brother who is in need of emotional support.

Chinesecrested Sun 25-Oct-20 11:53:31

I'm in a bubble with my bf who lives 150 miles away

TrixieB Sun 25-Oct-20 12:03:27

Family first. Your brother needs help with his mental health and I’m sure you’ll both be prudent re Covid precautions.
Good luck!