Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you Park you car in the garage

(77 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 28-Oct-20 14:35:01

We all have garages round here but no one uses them apart from me. I must admit it’s easier to just go outside and go.
I find it useful when we have snow as I don’t have to dig myself out., apart from that a bit of a nuisance. What’s your view on it please.

Nandalot Tue 17-Nov-20 15:25:01

Hahaha. OP that is a joke surely. Even though we have an extra large garage, we have never used it for the car. Indeed, we have divided it into two( just timber and plasterboard so any future owners can remove easily). The inner one now houses the train set, ( sorry DH would correct me here, model railway) upright freezer and shelves. The front end, the mucky end, is gardening paint , car stuff etc.

granfromafar Tue 17-Nov-20 14:55:42

We do as a rule as it is double-sized so room for storage and tumble dryer as well. However, last week, the automatic door got stuck in the half way position, and after a lot of messing around, finally got the door open. Car is currently parked on the drive while awaiting someone to come and repair it. Luckily it was put in 4 and a half years ago so is still within the guarantee period.

Washerwoman Wed 11-Nov-20 20:17:31

Our integral garage is used as a utility room and for drying off wet dogs so no.But we do always park on our drive even if we are going in and out frequently.Unlike several of our neighbours who despite having drives constantly park on the pavements making them impassable for buggies etc.Tonight I could only just get between two cars parked opposite as it's a narrow road.An emergency vehicle wouldn't make it through.

grannie62 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:15:56

Yes I keep my car in the garage and everyone comments on how it still looks like new.

Keeping your car outside alters the colour of the paintwork after time.

overthehill Mon 02-Nov-20 19:22:32

When we moved into our house 41 years ago we didn't have a garage but room for one at the end of our garden. We built a double and directly it was done, BIL gave hubs his old car and a neighbour his old lawn mower. Hubs got rid of car by chopping it up in bits and taking it in boxes to the dump.
We always put the car in there otherwise other things would take over.
Down our road most people have turned over their pretty front gardens into off road parking so leaving no parking for visitors

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 17:43:48

Oh yes, Deedaa, how come I'm Big Yellow storage for stuff left by four boomerang kids? There's a bed, pushchair, washing machine, surf board - and entire kitchen contents from the one who moved abroad!

Deedaa Mon 02-Nov-20 17:03:49

Chance would be a fine thing! Ours still contains boxes that haven't been opened since we moved in 21 years ago! Not to mention all the stuff DS brought with him when he moved in. We do have a reasonable amount of off road parking though.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:55:41

Very few people use their garages for cars around here. They park on their drives.

I think, like here, it somehow becomes a workshop and home for abandoned projects - and stuff that 'might come in useful' - but never actually does. Everyone seems to get a skip when their house is for sale!

GrannySomerset Mon 02-Nov-20 13:55:46

1967 house and garage, 2018 smallish car = car outside and garage full of freezer, cases, gardening equipment, Christmas decorations, jam jars and assorted stuff which might come in useful. And that is after a skip full after a major clear out two years ago!

JackyB Mon 02-Nov-20 11:27:45

Ours lives in the garage. I think it's an insurance thing.

farview Sun 01-Nov-20 14:01:56

No..leave my old banger outside in the hope that someone will steal it..so then H will have to buy a new car.....

Namsnanny Thu 29-Oct-20 20:37:35

Ours was converted into a granny flat or a teenage getaway a number of years ago.

Never really got used that much, just for overnight stays for guests at Christmas etc.
So now it has boxes of junk scattered around.

Stansgran Thu 29-Oct-20 20:08:21

I put things in the garage when I can’t think what to do with them. So there is a complete set of hand made pottery which I fell in love with but now doesn’t fit in with my new 20 year old kitchen. Actually that’s my new 30 year old kitchen, then there is the filing cabinet for stuff and all the sewing stuff when I last had visitors and had to use my sewing room as an emergency guest room, then all the books the children( now in their 40ies) had grown out of,and all the holiday suitcases, and oh yes a 20 year old Alfa spider is squeezed in but I’m told I’m too fat to be able to drive it out. So once a long long time ago I showed a car restorer an old mg we had he started to cry as he said his dream was to find an ancient mg in a garage and to be asked to restore it. In twenty years time perhaps the same thing will happen with the Alfa.

NotSpaghetti Thu 29-Oct-20 18:25:53

Lollin it's no longer the case that garages are cheaper for car insurance as J52 says.

I heard from a broker that there are so many claims for scrape damage in garages that it's actually cheaper to park on a drive these days.
Maybe £20 on a £300 premium.

Even so,probably not too many claims like the one SueDonim relates!

maddyone Wed 28-Oct-20 23:41:04

The garage is far too full of husband’s junk things that he really needs, so no, I don’t put my car in it. Neither does DH. But he does keep lots of other stuff in it.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Oct-20 23:36:57

I don’t have a garage, or a drive. Good job I don’t have a car either.

mokryna Wed 28-Oct-20 23:35:08

I have a lovely vw golf as well as a big garage however, my beautiful car is parked on the outside car space because my large garage is full of my three daughters and their husbands’ ... rubbish they still want to keep.

Spice101 Wed 28-Oct-20 23:31:36

Absolutely, I want to keep the car protected from weather, vandals, and theft.

Urmstongran exactly, makes no sense to me.

Susiewong65 Wed 28-Oct-20 22:42:43

I love the thought that my little car, Wendy, is safely snuggled up in the garage against the wind and the rain.
I have always garaged my cars and when I’ve sold them I’ve always been complemented on what good condition they are in.
A few years ago I was lifting the garage door when a group of children walked past.
They pointed, laughed and commented on a car being inside. One of them then asked me why there was a car in there and when I said
‘Because it’s a garage and it’s designed to store a car’
They were all speechless!!!

SueDonim Wed 28-Oct-20 20:19:15

J52, a friend had an incident like that with his car in the garage. It’s a triple garage, although there was only space for one car.

Birds had been nesting in the garage and leaving poop all over his navy blue Mercedes, so he decided to clear away the nests in winter. He climbed a ladder, promptly fell off, knocking over sundry items like paint tins and tools, stored on shelves, and landed on the car bonnet, followed swiftly by the ladder!

It was fun explaining it to the insurers. ?

MiniMoon Wed 28-Oct-20 20:09:00

We don't have a garage. The car is parked beside the house, as close to it as I dare with room for me to open the door.

Lollin Wed 28-Oct-20 20:08:33

Always, as do a few neighbours. Many have been turned into extra room with the front garden turned into hard standing parking spaces. Love in summer it's not baking hot to get into, in winter not freezing or covered in snow and the paintwork keeps better. Also bit of a discount off the car insurance for keeping it in a garage.

If you purchase a house with a garage that cannot accommodate your car, I wonder if that might 'not fit for purpose' and so you could get a bit of money back wink

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Oct-20 20:03:57

*more not most!

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Oct-20 20:03:21

No. I don't honestly think modern cars rust so easily. I think they are fine outside.
In my mother-in-law's area where there are lots of garages it seems the older you are the most likely you are to use the garage.
Maybe I'll age into mine!

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 19:37:28

Our dogs don't exactly live in the garage but have their own sofa and their beds in there. We have sliding patio doors at the back of the garage so the dogs can go in and out of the garden when they like.