Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you Park you car in the garage

(76 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 28-Oct-20 14:35:01

We all have garages round here but no one uses them apart from me. I must admit it’s easier to just go outside and go.
I find it useful when we have snow as I don’t have to dig myself out., apart from that a bit of a nuisance. What’s your view on it please.

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Oct-20 14:49:31

I can't get my car in the garage as my ex put racking all down one side (which I must admit is useful).

grumppa Wed 28-Oct-20 14:49:38

I would love to park my car in the garage, but it's full of "stuff": ours, our late parents', etc., not to mention decorating, maintenance and gardening equipment. Fortunately, we have adequate off-road parking.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 28-Oct-20 14:50:31

It's a waste of good storage space to put a car in it, seems to me.

Charleygirl5 Wed 28-Oct-20 14:52:35

When I bought this house in London in 1996, I was grateful it had a garden shed because I could never have afforded a house with a garage, living on my own.

Oopsminty Wed 28-Oct-20 14:53:53

Same as you, grumppa

We have a lovely brick built garage, separate from the house. Nice frontage and a charming door.

Inside it resembles a skip

In fact there are 3 boxes in there that have been there since the day we moved in about 27 years ago

Filled with cups and plates/ crockery from my grandparents

I really should get them out

PollyDolly Wed 28-Oct-20 14:56:17

Our garage has been converted to a utility and storeage room. We do have a wide enough drive and hard standing to get two cars side by side so we are off the road and we always reverse into the drive. Not many of our neighbours reverse onto their drives and watching them trying to get out onto the road is quite entertaining; makes us wonder how they ever passed a driving test!

craftyone Wed 28-Oct-20 15:02:30

my garage is my workshop and storage for my 3 bikes and wood crafting equipment, it is tidy but full. If I ever move again then I would look for a house with a double garage, I would like to put my car under cover. My stands on my 2 car drive and I would like my car to be out of the weather and bird droppings

ninathenana Wed 28-Oct-20 15:05:30

I did for the first 4-5 years we lived here but DH has filled it with more and more tools and it's now his workshop

bluebirdwsm Wed 28-Oct-20 15:06:52

I have a garage which is the size of a double garage but with one door. So I have plenty of room inside for everything for DIY and the garden, a run of storage units and I have 2 crates of logs in there too.

I can also put the car in too [small car] and I do put it in the garage a lot in winter months and when the weather forecast is dire. Saves having a lot of condensation/ice to clear off the windows during bad weather.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:08:27

We had a full size snooker table in ours until two months ago when it whent to one of our AC for their games room, so we should be able to get at least one of our cars in it.

Unfortunately it is now full of lockdown sorting out grin

bluebirdwsm Wed 28-Oct-20 15:09:46

The rest of the time it's my workshop so I can do up bits of furniture and do woodwork. It's invaluable to me, or even go to anywhere with a single garage now.

Mapleleaf Wed 28-Oct-20 15:12:22

I put mine in the garage.

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 15:15:18

I Put the Porsche In the garage but leave the Mercedes and jag on the street.

3nanny6 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:15:36

Poor me ! I do not have a garage maybe one day. I do have a car it stands on my driveway. It is nice to have a driveway in my old house I had to park on the roadway.

varian Wed 28-Oct-20 15:16:41

Some planning authorities actually insist on housing developers building carports, but not garages, on the basis that people will be less likely to fill their carport up with "stuff" and so will be more likely to use it for a car!

Juliet27 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:17:36

We have a double garage and at one time had both cars in it but now we have one car which stays outside and the garage is used for storage of the ‘junk’ we’ve amassed, the unused exercise bike, and the various rubbish bins.

phoenix Wed 28-Oct-20 15:21:14

No, because we don't have one.

I was a bit surprised to get something in the post that stated "important news about your conservatory" as we don't have one of those either.

Teetime Wed 28-Oct-20 15:22:10

When we were house hunting we were looking for a new build 3 bed detached with garage. We couldn't find any in the areas where we were searching. It seems that builders are only building garages with 4 beds. Apart from saving money I cant see a logic to this. DH resisted all suggestions of sheds - he feels garage are easier to secure. Ours is used as storage - golf clubs, tools, freezer, workbench etc so we are in the process of buying a 4 bed which we dont strictly need in order to get a garage.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:22:14

Lucca

I Put the Porsche In the garage but leave the Mercedes and jag on the street.

You should put the Jag in the garage they are more prone to rust than Porsches Lucca

3nanny6 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:27:06

Friends of mine both doctors husband and wife had a single garage and then a large garage closer to the house. They always parked their cars on the gravel driveway and never made use of the garages. Their son was working in London
and he had a car so when he came home that car stayed on the drive also a daughter she was working some other place so when she came home her car stayed on the drive as well, they did not seem to like the garages at all, but they are lovely people.

M0nica Wed 28-Oct-20 15:35:55

I nurture my Toyota Yaris. She was a high mileage 5 year old car when I bought her and 12 years later she is still going strong, although now a low mileage for age car - and she lives in the garage most of the time, although she does spend part of the time outside when DH is working in the garage and when the antique stock makes its journey from shed to garage to van and back when we are doing an Antiques fair.

I am sure being nurtured as she is, is why she has never broken down in 12 years and this year was the first time,she needed work to get through the MOT

NanaPlenty Wed 28-Oct-20 15:39:12

I’m just about to move to an apartment - it has a garage and a parking space - just as well as we have 2 cars - my little baby will have to live in the garage.

Smileless2012 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:39:38

I always put mine in the garage.

eazybee Wed 28-Oct-20 15:43:31

Yes I do, all the time.
Two reasons:
1) when car is inside , particularly in the winter, it is not covered in condensation first thing in the morning.
2) It frees up my single drive for visitors, because due to all the residents who will not use their garages, which accommodate small to medium cars easily, or even their drives, the road outside is full of parked cars.

I cleared my garage of all his accumulated rubbish following departure of ex-husband, so it can be done.