Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where to buy Christmas Decorations on line?

(73 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-Nov-20 08:20:37

In the Great Lock Down tidy we threw out lots of old Christmas decorations and intended to go to a local garden centre which has a fabulous Christmas department.

We cant do that now so can anyone recommend an online site that sells good quality decorations?

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 12:03:12

And I thought afterwards that my sparkly yarn is tat! Albeit Sirdar tat grin.

Jaxie Wed 25-Nov-20 11:39:59

Sorry, Callistemon, I missed your apology. What a pity we can’t meet in person, you would see, I think that I’m not a holy Joe, I spend much of my time, in fact, feeling guilty for my comfortable life ( except for the bl—dy arthritis pain!

Jaxie Wed 25-Nov-20 11:37:08

To Callistemon, I wasn’t preaching but I think we are pressurised by TV ads for example,to spend money on tat at Christmas when we could do without it. You don’t need to spend lots to make your home festive. I believe, as the Bible tells us, that your right hand shouldn’t know what your left hand is doing as far as charity Is concerned but if you must know I support The Salvation Army and Mencap.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 12:35:00

kitty Garden centres are open as are B&M and Home Bargains. All excellent for Christmas decorations.

Jaxie Thu 05-Nov-20 17:54:27

How nice of Callistemon to apologise for being rude & grumpy. I admit that some posts seem awfully smug & make ME respond in a rude & grumpy way. I would love to meet some Gransnetters in person, as you mostly sound such fun.

kittylester Wed 04-Nov-20 07:38:07

I have bought a couple of things from Cox and Cox and some more lights from Gates.

That's it!!

We still have all the decorations that we have had for years but have decided that we wont have a tree anymore so a mix of old and new.

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 22:35:56

What will you do with the sparkly yarn?
I've no idea! I got it out and looked at it today then put it away again. I ordered the blanket pattern too.
I thought I'd make it for one of the DGD but apparently grey is the in colour (boring).

Nana3 Tue 03-Nov-20 22:30:06

Kitty have you bought your decorations?

Nana3 Tue 03-Nov-20 22:26:17

Callistemon
Thank you for kind words, it took a while to perfect a knitted triangle, I did some crocheted ones too. They still need to be sewn on the ribbon though.
What will you do with the sparkly yarn?

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 12:25:55

Nana3 I'm sure your bunting will look lovely and will brighten up Christmas - we need cheering up.

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 12:24:55

Mine was sewn bunting and I do still like it, Nana3 smile

However, in a mad moment I ordered sparkly yarn even though I am not a sparkly person because I'd seen a lovely knitted blanket which I thought I'd make. I've gone off the idea entirely but have a boxful of this stuff now, none of it in Christmas colours.

Nana3 Mon 02-Nov-20 23:47:02

Callistemon
In the March lockdown I knitted lots of Christmas bunting. I look at it now and think I must have been really short of something to do!! I still have sparkly yarn left over!!

Callistemon Mon 02-Nov-20 14:23:54

Jaxie I apologise for being rude and grumpy.
It's all a bit fraught at the moment isn't it.

Most years I bought one new Christmas decoration but a couple of years ago I made loads, much of which I gave away and thought enough's enough, I'm not sewing any more.
However, I still have Christmas fabric left over.?

Teetime Mon 02-Nov-20 14:10:51

2 Garden centre are local to us Gates nr Oakham being one of them - unsure now are they staying open or not - I need to buy a Christmas tree. I'm going big this Christmas on decorations. Whoever is allowed or fancies coming to my house is going to have their twinkle factor accelerated by me and an abundance of fairy lights. As someone else on here said 'you can do both'.

Jaxie Mon 02-Nov-20 13:51:16

I support the Salvation Army & Mencap. I’m sorry I upset Callistemon but judging by the number of bottles I see in recycling boxes I’m surprised people can afford all that alcohol. I don’t see either why people have to buy Christmas decorations every year: most people I know have used the same ones for years. I have a ski-ing Santa I dress up in a topical garment each year to amuse the family; this year he’ll probably be Boris or Donald Trump. They’ll have to admire him on FaceTime though.

sodapop Mon 02-Nov-20 08:43:14

Nothing wrong with cheering up yourselves and your house kittylester no business of anyone else's what you do or don't do for charity etc. I agree with a poster up thread who said it would be good to support local businesses rather than the big ones. Let us know if you find what you want and post pics. I love all things Christmas.

seacliff Mon 02-Nov-20 08:17:19

Hetty I am thinking of getting some simple wooden shapes, hearts, trees etc from Hobbycraft. Then doing decoupage. Maybe with Christmas napkins.

Also going to try making felt Christmas hangings, decorated with beads from old necklaces.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 07:38:43

Thanks craftyone. I do find that making simple things from wood, knitting and other crafts is very calming and rewarding.

craftyone Mon 02-Nov-20 06:51:42

Hetty my husband made some simple wooden decorations using a scrollsaw, with open spaces. He just backed them with coloured film. I still have them for my tree. There are plenty of wooden decs in wood carving and scrollsaw books eg a simple santa, just whittled and painted. google `christmas wood carving`

Felt gnomes with tall hats and long legs, felt ovals to stitch together into a ball, stuffed and decorated

Hetty58 Mon 02-Nov-20 06:45:03

I take a look at the handmade decorations on Etsy. I like the ceramic and stained glass ones, but really I'm looking for simple ideas to make my own from wood, stitched felt or wool.

seacliff Mon 02-Nov-20 06:33:56

folksy.com/search/items?q=Baubles&commit=Search
You can choose makers just in the uk

seacliff Mon 02-Nov-20 06:27:22

folksy.com/items/7369397-Stained-Glass-Christmas-Tree-Suncatcher-Handmade-Christmas-Decoration
And I love glass hanging on the window

seacliff Mon 02-Nov-20 06:23:24

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/892772907/handmade-glass-mosaic-reindeer-christmas?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1

These are lovely, so individual. I have the little bird.

justwokeup Mon 02-Nov-20 02:47:46

Pamela I also ask where things are made before I buy. Like you I’ve fallen for ‘Designed in the UK’ Marydoll. It’s usually code for ‘Made in China’.

Theoddbird Sun 01-Nov-20 22:45:51

I knew of course that there would be sniping at me I don't like waste. I prefer recycling The thought of old decorations being thrown out annoyed me My children and their families and I have ones collected over the years that are reused whatever they look like. They hold memories My parents were the same I dislike the throw away society we live in. Rant over. Sending seasons greetings...happy fifth of November. Peace x