Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where to buy Christmas Decorations on line?

(72 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-Nov-20 08:20:37

In the Great Lock Down tidy we threw out lots of old Christmas decorations and intended to go to a local garden centre which has a fabulous Christmas department.

We cant do that now so can anyone recommend an online site that sells good quality decorations?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:24:28

They will still be open until close of business on Wednesday kitty.

The White Company has beautiful ones but are slightly more expensive, Marks & Spencer’s and of course the dreaded Amazon ?

FindingNemo15 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:36:59

Just checked on Gov. website and garden centres can remain open!

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:43:32

kittylester, mask up and treat yourself to a garden centre trip. Maybe don't go today - it's still half term and will be busy. Go on a Monday and have fund

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:45:49

John Lewis always have lovely decorations.

Nana3 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:51:11

Our local charity shops have loads, but I fear will have to close next week.

harrigran Sun 01-Nov-20 09:22:58

I bought a tree and decorations online from Wayfair, they have a large selection.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:24:16

I’ve been looking at posh ones on line. Wow!

kittylester Sun 01-Nov-20 09:27:18

Where WW?

Rumpunch Sun 01-Nov-20 10:33:35

Decorations in the garden centres are all out and so you have until Wednesday to get there. The supermarkets are going to be allowed to sell non-essentials which mean you will still be able to buy from them etc. Department stores will all ready have their Christmas department up and running so you just need to shop now. They might all have offers on as they will want to clear their decorations as they will be losing 4weeks at least of trade.
Personally I would need to do this as I am often disappointed with things I see on line when they finally arrive.
Enjoy your shopping.smile

grannyteddy Sun 01-Nov-20 10:39:30

Kitty Lester, if you are prepared to go out there is a wonderful garden centre near Cold Overton called Gates and an equally fabulous Dobbies at East Bridgford. Both involve a bit of a drive but the displays more than make up for that. Your nearest The Range carries a good selection too. Online look at Matalan and Wilkinsons before trawling through the pages of Amazon. I've bought some lovely ornaments online from both of them.

Welshy Sun 01-Nov-20 10:49:24

www.notonthehighstreet.com

www.etsy.com/christmas/decor

Amazon ... eBay .... Studio Catalogue. Various stores such as John Lewis, B&Q, Homebase, Dunelm, Wilko, M&S, The Range, Next, Asda/George, Sainsbury, Tesco, Debenhams. The list is endless.

Paperbackwriter Sun 01-Nov-20 10:50:56

The loveliest Christmas decorations are available from Sarah Raven but they're pretty expensive!
I thought only shops selling 'essentials' were going to be open? Does that mean garden centres might be open but will have to shut off all their fripperies, like supermarkets in Wales? Confused of TR12.

Theoddbird Sun 01-Nov-20 10:57:31

I think people should think more about peace, caring and love at Christmas rather than spending a fortune on new decorations. Consider donating to Crisis instead.

Jaxie Sun 01-Nov-20 11:17:30

Theoddbird, Good for you, but expect some sniping from those who don’t like listening to their consciences.

StephLP Sun 01-Nov-20 11:18:35

Please do use your local shops for Christmas cards, decorations etc. if at all possible. They are struggling to much and now have to close again for at least 4 weeks.

Daisymae Sun 01-Nov-20 11:21:38

So garden centres are to remain open! Well, well.

kittylester Sun 01-Nov-20 11:24:30

Gates is where we were headed grannyteddy and will still go if we get chance before lockdown.

If it is anyone's business, I bought my cards from a charity I support, my wrapping paper and candles will come from the card shop in the village and my flowers and garlands will come from the florist in the village. Both of whom do a great job of selling on line and delivering locally.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:27:57

Theoddbird

I think people should think more about peace, caring and love at Christmas rather than spending a fortune on new decorations. Consider donating to Crisis instead.

Wanting to make ones house festive and bright is not a crime.

I will continue to donate to local charities which have seen a dramatic downturn in their fundraising since March ???

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 11:32:22

Theoddbird

It's possible to do both.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 11:34:45

Jaxie

Theoddbird, Good for you, but expect some sniping from those who don’t like listening to their consciences.

That was uncalled for.

What is wrong with making a home look cheery festive in these uncertain times?
How do you know that the OP doesn't volunteer for a charity and donate to several.

Which charities would you recommend, Jaxie?

Sadgrandma Sun 01-Nov-20 11:37:46

I will be looking to buy Christmas presents and decorations from small independent retailers on line where possible rather than the big boys like Amazon as I think they will need our help to survive.

Dillonsgranma Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:01

Garden centres staying open. I know why. Christmas trees!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:42:59

Christian charity seems a little thin on the ground as soon as a thread mentions Christmas.

marpau Sun 01-Nov-20 11:44:02

I bought some from local crafters on Facebook as they have had a tough time this year.