Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Roberts radio

(27 Posts)
Parky Mon 16-Nov-20 11:00:28

I want to buy hubby a Roberts radio for Christmas. He is always talking about the blue radio he got with an inheritance in the 60s.

Now question is on looking on line there are 3 different blues. I don't remember what colours were available then, but don't want to disappoint with wrong shade. Any ideas please?

moggie57 Mon 16-Nov-20 11:03:27

Casually show him the three pictures say its for a friend and you want to get the right vintage one.would he know what colour to get

kittylester Mon 16-Nov-20 11:04:46

Google it.

moggie57 Mon 16-Nov-20 11:04:57

Or get one and keep receipt. Should be a month in which to send it back if wrong colour

BlueBelle Mon 16-Nov-20 12:23:58

I wouldn’t go for Roberts I really wouldn’t I set such store by the name but mine went wrong within a year I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they exchanged it, within 6 months the new one went wrong it was a fault in the plug itself this time, which was a sealed unit and which you couldn’t change or do anything about They reluctantly after going and fro at head office sent me another and within a year it had gone again
I have a second hand unnamed one from a charity shop which is going strong now but I went totally by the good name of Roberts and would never buy from them again

MrsThreadgoode Mon 16-Nov-20 12:26:30

My Roberts radio is a bit flaky, something wrong with the electrical cable connection and the knobs aren’t at all precise, I really wouldn’t spend so much on one again, but it does look nice!

travelsafar Mon 16-Nov-20 12:27:08

I agree with BlueBelle. I was bought one when i retired. About a year to 18months later all the covering on it started to peel off. Although it still works as a radio it looks awful. It was a lovely bright red one and i had always wanted one and am very disappointed with it.

seacliff Mon 16-Nov-20 12:30:48

Same for me, they are not what they were sadly. I have wondered about getting an Amazon echo, as apparently you can listen to stations all over the uk just by asking Alexa.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Nov-20 12:51:02

Oh it’s nice to know it’s not just me I really felt I was just the unlucky one but I was not impressed with their customer help either they really were very reluctant to help and I felt were blaming me, but the little radio had only ever sat in one place never moved around never taken anywhere

NotAGran55 Mon 16-Nov-20 12:55:55

Have you thought about a vintage one ?
This one on eBay as an example.

You may have to bide your time until a good one comes up for sale though.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Retro-1960s-Roberts-Transistor-Radio-R200-Working-Blue-Leathercloth/233765988716?hash=item366d89e96c:g:0D4AAOSwmCxfktVn

Farmor15 Mon 16-Nov-20 12:59:46

Roberts radios are definitely not as good as they used to be. We've had bad experiences with 3 in recent years! They were quite expensive previously but quality has dropped along with price!

Sparklefizz Mon 16-Nov-20 13:01:19

My Roberts radio has been brilliant. No problems at all.

Rosiebee Mon 16-Nov-20 13:09:42

I have a small Roberts Radio, not the traditional one, but you can plug it in to recharge its batteries. Love it too bits, so easy to carry round from room to room. Mine came from Amazon but I've seen them for sale through Radio Times as well. Depends on if your DH wants a particular style or not.

Chewbacca Mon 16-Nov-20 13:21:26

I've got the Robert's Retro in red leather and it's been going strong for about 10 years now with no problems at all. touch wood, but if I was starting afresh, I'd go for the Pure DAB radio.

GrannySomerset Mon 16-Nov-20 13:29:56

Yes, agree that the Pure DAB radios are excellent - we have two and like both the look and the sound quality. Not cheap, though.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Nov-20 14:06:52

chewbacca I don’t think it’s the old ones that are a problem I also had a Roberts for years which is why I went for Roberts again this time it seems to be the more recent productions of Robers that are causing problems I wonder if they ve been taken over but kept the name

lemongrove Mon 16-Nov-20 16:17:07

I have a Roberts in just about every room in the house, we listen to radio a lot.The most recent one was bought two years ago, and so far so good.The oldest one is about 15 years old.
We go for standard types, silver coloured, not retro or fancy.
To the OP....whatkitty says, google the old shade of blue to get the correct one.Good luck.

Alishka Mon 16-Nov-20 16:30:49

BlueBelle

chewbacca I don’t think it’s the old ones that are a problem I also had a Roberts for years which is why I went for Roberts again this time it seems to be the more recent productions of Robers that are causing problems I wonder if they ve been taken over but kept the name

I wondered this toohmm

Oldbat1 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:31:13

We have 2 Pure Radios which were expensive but in all honesty we now use Alexa’s or listen to the radio through the tv. The sound quality is good plus you have access to many many more radio stations.

Casdon Mon 16-Nov-20 21:00:47

I’ve got a Roberts radio which is three years old, and I’ve had no problems at all with it. I was intrigued so I looked it up, they are made in the U.K., and haven’t been taken over, the company is a subsidiary of Glen Dimplex apparently, which is Irish. The company will repair also.

welbeck Mon 16-Nov-20 23:38:48

i bought some retro -styled DAB radios from Aldi a few years ago.
apart from taking a while to understand the digital controls, which would be the same with any modern radio, they are excellent. Lidl also do similar, once or twice a year in their weekly specials. good price too.
i have discovered some fascinating stations, eg Angel vintage, songs from 1920s to 1960s.

Chewbacca Tue 17-Nov-20 01:21:44

I've got that one too welbeck and think it's equally as good as the Roberts one. And for less than £30 I think, it was a bargain. Looks good too.

Parky Tue 17-Nov-20 07:55:57

Thank you all for your comments am beginning to have doubts, although Haddon has helped put my m8nd at rest. Will have to trot down to Currys and have a proper look.
Sorry folks we are not locked down here.

Newquay Tue 17-Nov-20 09:00:32

A friend was telling me about the hassle she had recently when the aerial on hers broke recently. I thought about getting one but then realised I just use my iPhone and out it in my pocket (or bra if no pocket!) and “she shall have music wherever she goes!”.

Happygirl79 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:50:04

My Roberts radio lasted about 8 months then died
I would never recommend the brand
I should have returned it as still under warranty but didn't so that part is entirely my fault