Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could Christmas cards spread the virus?

(106 Posts)
Rosieroe Wed 25-Nov-20 17:58:28

Most people stick envelopes by dampening the glue with a lick.

Am I wrong in being concerned that all that saliva on thousands of Christmas card envelopes is potentially hazardous, not just to postal workers but to every recipient?

I hope someone with better knowledge in these matters can reassure me that I’m worrying unnecessarily. ?

Pantglas2 Thu 26-Nov-20 07:00:52

I’ve opened all mail on receipt and either filed or binned the content then washed my hands - let’s not make a drama out of a crisis ?

Jaxjacky Thu 26-Nov-20 07:08:52

Another open immediately and wash hands here.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Nov-20 08:12:00

Another scaremongering thread
No of course not JUST WASH YER HANDS if in doubt

Shrub Thu 26-Nov-20 08:38:10

Agree with BlueBelle. I gave up worrying about the post being contaminated months ago.

harrigran Thu 26-Nov-20 08:45:42

We leave paper and card 24 hours, plastic 72 hours and try to avoid hard metal surfaces which can retain the virus for five days. Even after the time lapse hands are thoroughly washed with soap and water after handling.
Most people will think this is excessive but when you have serious health issues who wants to play Russian roulette ?

sodapop Thu 26-Nov-20 08:57:02

Agree BlueBelle hand washing is the important thing. Don't lets over think everything as Pantglas said.

Iam64 Thu 26-Nov-20 09:00:45

The information seems to have changed since the first lockdown in March when I did all the leaving paper/card/washing deliveries and shopping. It's unlikely card will hold the virus and even ordinary surfaces are no longer seen as high risk.
The key as BlueBelle and co all say, is wash your hands with soap and water, wash properly (sing happy birthday twice) then dry with a clean towel. Keep socially distanced and don't spend longer than 15 mins indoors with people you don't live with. (Christmas of course as we all know, the virus will have five days off )

Riverwalk Thu 26-Nov-20 09:01:38

I'm wondering why those who think there is a risk from mail/parcels would leave it around for days on end before dealing with it.

Isn't it best to open, discard envelope/wrappings then wash your hands and surfaces?

And how do you deal with grocery deliveries?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 26-Nov-20 09:06:11

Mixing with others inside at Christmas is far more hazardous than any remote chance of inhaling enough virus off Christmas post IMO.

petra Thu 26-Nov-20 09:11:40

Rosieroe
How do you think Hospitals, Drs surgeries, schools, businesses etc etc are working?

Froglady Thu 26-Nov-20 09:12:29

I live in supported accommodation and the tenancy support worker left me a note a couple of weeks ago to say that some of the tenants don't want to exchange Christmas cards because of the fear of the virus. I'm just playing it by ear - the ones who post a card through my door will get one back; don't want to put my neighbours in an awkward position by putting cards through everybody's door. The worker isn't allowed to say which tenants don't want cards because of the confidentiality. Does mean that I save money.

Grannynannywanny Thu 26-Nov-20 09:30:37

I open mail as it arrives and then wash hands. In the early days I was leaving it on the floor untouched for a couple of days then read that was unnecessary. That was just an occasional letter.

Considering cards often arrive in a flurry of 4 or 5 at a time they would need lifted and sat somewhere if you wanted to isolate them for a few days. So, once you’ve lifted them you might as well open them. Then wash hands and the job is done.

henetha Thu 26-Nov-20 09:55:19

It's highly unlikely. I just wash my hands after dealing with post, just in case. Use common sense.

Ellie666 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:06:06

If you read it properly she wasn't talking about the stamp.

Ellie666 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:07:55

''let’s not make a drama out of a crisis'' but you wash your hands after opening a letter? Get real for Gods sake.

Dillonsgranma Thu 26-Nov-20 10:08:18

All post is sprayed at the sorting office anyway to kill the virus. Otherwise postal workers would be endangered

icanhandthemback Thu 26-Nov-20 10:08:37

My stepfather still quarantines everything that comes into the house for at least 72 hours but you really don't need to. As someone further upthread said, the viral load is minimal and you are unlikely to catch Covid this way. The viral load diminishes much quicker than scientists first thought and the scare mongering press published. It is noticeable that all the negative aspects from the media have not been cleared up now we have more information!

Ellie666 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:09:13

harrigran. What an absolute heap of rubbish.

ImStillGood Thu 26-Nov-20 10:10:32

No way

Ellie666 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:14:49

Riverwalk. With regards to groceries, probably do what I have read some ridiculous people do, wipe every single thing before putting away and even washing every item of fruit and veg and I don't mean with just water. Give me a break something definitely wrong with people who do that.

BusterTank Thu 26-Nov-20 10:16:53

It's not just licking the envelope its being sneezed on , or being touched by an infected person . Apparently the virus can survive for 72 hours on paper and card board . I spray all my parcels and mail when they are delivered , with a disenfectant spray . Just to be on the safe side .

Nanderin Thu 26-Nov-20 10:18:04

Me too.

hicaz46 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:18:27

I still wipe down all groceries coming into the house with a Milton solution. Post is opened, wrapping discarded and hands washed. Parcels from online shopping are opened and contents left for 3 days and packaging disposed of Again ritual hand washing. Have been doing this since beginning of lockdown so why would I stop now?

curlz Thu 26-Nov-20 10:18:36

I work in a post office and I handle letters parcels money all day and neither I or any of my colleagues have caught the virus as of yet . Plus it’s taking around 2-4 days to deliver a card so hopefully if there is any virus it will be dead by then

bikergran Thu 26-Nov-20 10:23:14

Going off tangent slightly. When I am on my checkout at supermarket, some people still! out of habit wet there fingers with their mouth and count out the notes, If this happens, I get out one of the small food bags and ask them to pop it in the bag.

Also people do put their cards in their mouths whilst rooting for something, these obviously go in the pin machine, unless contactless.

One thing I have always done is wiped all my cards when home.

Using atms or any pin machine could possibly be a high risk if you start thinking deeply enough.

The girls who empty the tills are then aware of the the notes) the do wear gloves in the cash office)