Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tesco Home Delivery Question

(28 Posts)
phoenix Wed 02-Dec-20 10:18:51

Hello all,

Hope someone can help!

I have a grocery delivery due today, the only slot I could book was 14.00 to 22.00, which is quite a window!

A recent Sainsburys one initially had a 4 hour window, but I got a message from Sainsbury's on the day narrowing it down to 1 hour.

So far, no word from Tesco, but I'm hoping they will be in touch! The way I feel at present there's no way I could stay up until then and have the strength to put the shopping away tchshock

Does anyone have a similar experience?

TIA

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Dec-20 10:40:25

They usually text beforehand, but I can’t remember how far ahead, with a smaller window.

FannyCornforth Wed 02-Dec-20 10:46:43

I'd give customer services a ring if I were you.

Luckygirl Wed 02-Dec-20 10:47:15

That's weird. I use Tesco sometimes and it is always a 2 hour slot.

B9exchange Wed 02-Dec-20 10:51:48

Morrisons and Waitrose give one hour slots, not seen longer periods, how strange!

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 10:55:46

It depends, some slots are 1 hour ones and are often fully booked for weeks ahead, the priority slots tend to be much longer as are the flexi saver ones.

You should get a text or automated phone call soon to give you a more specific time, phoenix.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:55:57

We've been using them regularly since March. They have always given us a 2 hour slot. If we go on their site and sign in on the day of delivery, it says 'your order will be delivered between 12.35 and 1.05 (or whatever). They give a half hour estimate. They've never been late.

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 10:57:18

If it's late we sometimes just put fridge stuff away and leave the rest until the next day, phoenix.

phoenix Wed 02-Dec-20 11:00:08

Thank you all, appreciated.

The only slots I was offered were the priority slots, with big windows.

Hopefully they will be in touch soon, if not I will contact them.

Doodledog Wed 02-Dec-20 11:05:01

I always get a 1 hour slot from Sainsbury's, but that is with a delivery pass. There is another type of pass that gives a wider window at a cheaper price, and (I think) another that can only be used mid-week.

I would have thought that on the day of the delivery they will have worked out the driver's route, so if you call them they should be able to give you a reasonable idea of time.

Having said that, Sainsbury's are now virtually impossible to get hold of, and you have to use the online chat rather than telephone. I really hope that this goes back to normal after Covid is vanquished. Tesco may be different, though.

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 12:08:19

The only slots I was offered were the priority slots, with big windows.
And, annoyingly they now charge as much for them as their one hour slots although the ordinary 'wide window slots are cheaper but impossible to find.

phoenix Wed 02-Dec-20 13:00:55

Callistemon

^The only slots I was offered were the priority slots, with big windows.^
And, annoyingly they now charge as much for them as their one hour slots although the ordinary 'wide window slots are cheaper but impossible to find.

Correct Callistemon! I think mine was £4.50.

Anyway, just had a recorded message, our delivery will be between 8 and 9 pm.

I think on the whole I find Sainsbury's easier to deal with, get an email quite early on delivery day advising of any substitutions, which helps.

Nothing from Tesco on that subject, so does that mean they have everything, or will I have to stand on the doorstep discussing the options? tchconfused

Marydoll Wed 02-Dec-20 13:25:22

Phoenix if you don't want the driver in your home, he will leave on the doorstep and step away.
He will tell also you what has been substituted , if you dont want the substitutions, he will take them back and your account will be credited.

glammanana Wed 02-Dec-20 13:25:58

My Christmas order from Tesco's on 23rd is also between 14.00-2200 all the slots had this delivery time when I booked there was no choice of 1 or 2 hr slots unfortunately .

phoenix Wed 02-Dec-20 14:07:31

Marydoll appreciate that, but would be good to know before the actual delivery, iykwim!

glammanana doubt if I could even get a slot that late, and tbh it's a bit "last minute"!

I've been adding bits and bobs to my usual in store shopping, but unless I get better, then Mr P will have to pick up some of the slack tchshock, but it will all work out.

glammanana Wed 02-Dec-20 14:12:10

Phoenix It was the only date available when I booked I would have preferred 20/21st but they where all booked up so had no choice.

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 15:18:49

15th is the latest date I can get before Christmas. Tesco was the only supermarket which was of any help whatsoever at the start of lockdown, now we can also get a Waitrose slot occasionally (eventually after weeks of waiting).

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:37:18

Iceland slots are easy to obtain. It depends if they deliver to your area. They sell most things. We've had them a few times.

joannapiano Wed 02-Dec-20 18:12:49

We have Priority slots and the only supermarket with such a long time period given for deliveries eg 10 to 6pm, is Tesco. We had one booked last month, I got a text to say the driver was running late, and he arrived 10.30 pm.
We have managed to book a slot with them for 22cnd Dec.
Priority slots with Sainsbury’s are 1 hour, are always available, and they’ve always been on time.
However, I’ve found all the delivery drivers very helpful and I really appreciate them during these difficult times.
Delivery prices have risen though!

grannypiper Wed 02-Dec-20 18:59:39

My Tesco is always an hour slot, i can't understand why they would give you such a wide time frame.

Marydoll Wed 02-Dec-20 19:17:51

Priority slots give a wide frame, they are usually for those registered as clinically vulnerable.
I started with wide time frame slots, but eventually managed to buy a delivery pass and have access to everything now.

Callistemon Wed 02-Dec-20 19:25:44

I should have bought a delivery pass, Mary.

The priority slots for those who are shielding used to be free, grannypiper and I presume they think we're in all day anyway.

Now they charge as much as for the one hour slots.

Marydoll Wed 02-Dec-20 19:30:18

That's why I bought a delivery pass! They were suspended at the beginning of lockdown, but suddenly became available again.
The pass has been worth its weight in gold!

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 20:14:11

I agree Mary. I'm glad we got one.

Grannynannywanny Wed 02-Dec-20 20:50:03

This might be of interest. I recently discovered that it’s possible to have a same day Morrison’s delivery via Amazon Prime. You need the Amazon Prime Now app. It says shopping picked by Morrison’s and delivered by Amazon. £3.99 delivery and free delivery over £40.

I haven’t ordered a delivery as yet as I’m fortunate enough to be able to get to the shops. Before starting this post I put it to the test. Added a few random items to basket and I could have any 2 hour slot from 7am tomorrow through till 11pm. Sounds too good to be true but I can’t see any catches.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the availability slots offered. Although it’s showing £3.99 charge that would be free if I continued adding till £40. I quit while I was ahead in case I accidentally placed the order!

No idea if it’s available in every area. We don’t have a local Morrison’s. I live about 10 miles from nearest branch.