Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fridge freezers downsize or not?

(34 Posts)
Matthewscornwall Sun 06-Dec-20 08:49:37

Downsized house this year and I’m about to refit the kitchen, currently I have an American fridge freezer, but now it’s just the two of us I’m wondering if I can down size! An integrated FF would fit better into the kitchen but the freezer looks tiny let alone the fridge and I’ve not got a utility to put another freezer. What’s everyone’s experience and any regrets? Thank you

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Dec-20 15:32:52

We’ve just had a large integrated f/f fitted, our old, smaller one has gone along with the under counter small separate fridge and freezer. I think we’ll be ok, the smaller fridge tended to be for Christmas beer and soft drinks, the freezer I used to fill as I felt I ought to. As I’m not a baker, only two if us and good local shops I hope so.

Deedaa Mon 07-Dec-20 21:42:26

I wouldn't downsize. Even with only two of you you never know when you might need the space. It's so frustrating to suddenly find that you haven't got the fridge or freezer space that you need.

Iam64 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:46:03

No, don't down size.

SpringyChicken Mon 07-Dec-20 22:59:31

My friend hates her integrated FF. Very little storage. Next time, she wants a freestanding model in the same spot and it will be much cheaper than an integrated model.

Nansnet Tue 08-Dec-20 07:48:28

We have an American style fridge/freezer plus, until recently, we had another fridge, which was for drinks. We still lacked space in the freezer, so have replaced the smaller fridge with another large fridge/freezer. For some reason, both of my freezers are now full to bursting! There is only two of us now at home! Do not downsize!

JackyB Tue 08-Dec-20 08:45:55

Callistemon

JackyB I suppose it's also dependent on how near you are to the shops and, at the moment, how comfortable you feel going shopping.

Also whether or not you grow and freeze your own produce.

Perhaps you're right, Callistemon. However, I don't live near the shops and have to drive there, and, as I have explained before, here in Germany, the supermarkets don't do food deliveries. Out in the sticks where we are, there is no independent delivery service either, such as Ocado. I do organise my menus and shopping so I only have to go shopping once every 10 days to 2 weeks. Now in winter, I can keep stuff in the garage. So far we haven't had any mice at it.

I have a reasonable sized fridge in the kitchen and a freezer with 9 drawers. If I had less, I reckon I could manage.

Froglady Tue 08-Dec-20 08:49:27

I bought myself a small chest freezer recently as I was due to go to Spain for Christmas and was concerned about maybe having to quarantine for 14 days when I got back (the break was cancelled anyway). I am still so pleased that I got it as it's keeping me supplied with food without having to shop every few days.

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 14:28:17

Our freezer has 7 drawers and I have to get a stool to get to the top two proper drawers! The very top one has a pull down flap.
The other one is fridge freezer with open shelves and door space.