Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fridge freezers downsize or not?

(33 Posts)
Matthewscornwall Sun 06-Dec-20 08:49:37

Downsized house this year and I’m about to refit the kitchen, currently I have an American fridge freezer, but now it’s just the two of us I’m wondering if I can down size! An integrated FF would fit better into the kitchen but the freezer looks tiny let alone the fridge and I’ve not got a utility to put another freezer. What’s everyone’s experience and any regrets? Thank you

Auntieflo Sun 06-Dec-20 08:55:39

Personally I wouldn't downsize if the new kitchen design will take it.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Dec-20 08:56:03

I wouldn’t downsize with this awful Brexit thing a lot of our food comes from Eu so you might be glad of a big freezer

Elusivebutterfly Sun 06-Dec-20 08:58:48

I got rid of a huge chest freezer and large built in fridge when downsizing. Whilst I don't want another chest freezer, I have ended up buying a second small freezer. I would like a bigger fridge as well.
If you can easily nip to the shops for anything you want it should not be a problem but with lockdowns and Brexit I'd rather have more space.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Dec-20 08:59:56

I’ve got two fridge freezers, one in the kitchen and one in the garage.
This was a happy accident. The original kitchen one appeared to be not working. We ordered a new one & moved the old one into the garage to await removal.
Then before the new one came, it magically started working again.
So we kept it, thinking it would be useful for when the family came to stay.

In fact I don’t know how I would have managed without it in the early days of the first lockdown, when getting an online supermarket delivery involved getting up in the middle of the night to nab a slot as soon as they were released.

It really depends how much you use your freezer & what you use it for. In mine I have stewed plums from the tree in the garden, cartons of blackberries that we picked in September, casseroles, left overs and home-made bread, cakes and scones. I also have a monthly delivery of fresh fish from a local supplier which goes in there too.

MiniMoon Sun 06-Dec-20 09:25:06

No, do not downsize your freezer. Mine is tiny below a decent sized fridge. I wish I had the space for another one, but I haven't. There are only two of us, but the freezer is full to bursting.

MrsThreadgoode Sun 06-Dec-20 09:26:46

I have an integrated fridge in the kitchen and it’s a pain to keep getting on my hands and knees to fish things out, so I bought an American style one, so much better! I can stand up and get everything, so the under fridge is just used for drinks.
Plus a small freezer in the garage, for frozen picked fruit and veg from the garden etc.

tanith Sun 06-Dec-20 09:26:57

If your current large fridge freezer is pretty full most of the time then I’d keep it if not downsize it. I’m on my own and have a 70/30 split fridge freezer and for me on my own it’s plenty big enough for me but I do have shops in walking distance if I run out of anything.
I have space for spare portions and Friuts I’ve picked in the Summer.

Charleygirl5 Sun 06-Dec-20 09:31:10

I personally would not downsize- you would regret it later, If you have space, keep what you can.

kittylester Sun 06-Dec-20 09:53:12

In my opinion you can never have too much fridge/ freezer space.

We have an American fridge freezer in the kitchen, a drinks fridge in the utility room plus a fridge freezer and a freezer in the garage.

mokryna Sun 06-Dec-20 10:12:50

If there is room, keep what you have. I am on my own but I use the freezer a lot, especially through the lockdown. I have always had the freezer on a separate motor to the fridge but the fridge is stacked on top of the four-drawer freezer. This allows the fridge to be switched off when I go away for a long time.
Best keep the old appliances as news ones have such a short lifespan these days.

annsixty Sun 06-Dec-20 10:24:57

No definitely do not do it.
I downsized to a f/f and it was just ok because I could get to the shops easily.
Now I can’t , it is so stuffed sometimes I can hardly close the door and horror of horrors I some times don’t have ice for G&T.
As soon as Christmas is over I am making space for a new separate freezer.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Dec-20 10:41:26

No, I wouldn't downsize a fridge/freezer. Even with just myself , to be able to store frozen food, made-up meals, baking etc in case there comes a time when you can't get out for whatever reason. Sometimes what I've got isn't big enough but it's a family sized ff so I make do now.

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 10:49:10

We replaced two medium size freezers with one taller freezer plus we have a fridge/freezer.
We use both, filled to capacity as we freeze home-grown food as well.

horror of horrors I some times don’t have ice for G&T.
Sometimes I've had to take the bottle cooler and large ice cube container out to make room shock

I'd like a fridge/freezer that dispenses cold water and ice.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 06-Dec-20 10:53:30

We had an integrated FF in the kitchen when we bought the house from new. We have no garage so no room for a separate freezer. When it packed in earlier this year it was a nightmare trying to replace it as doors have to fit exactly to the units. We replaced it with a freestanding FF which has more space, and would never get another integrated.

MayBee70 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:01:57

I was going to replace a large upright freezer with a fridge freezer as the fridge in the kitchen is tiny but I’m so glad I didn’t. I now freeze everything as part of my zero waste policy. Even milk if I think I have too much. It does concern me how much energy those large American style fridge freezers use up, though, especially as they’re kept in warm kitchens. I keep my freezer in a unheated utility room. I assume they’re well insulated though.

Georgesgran Sun 06-Dec-20 11:08:18

Only an integrated larder fridge in our kitchen, so it only holds what we are currently using and there’s no icebox. There’s an upright fridge/freezer in the garage - the freezer stores breads, puddings and sweet stuff while the fridge is stacked with milk, spare butter, cheeses and yogurts, plus all vegetables that can be kept there. A matching tall freezer alongside holds meat, fish, frozen vegetables and a few ready meals and pizzas. There’s only 2 of us, but I think I’d never be away from the shops if I downsized.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 06-Dec-20 12:00:21

Crikey Georgesgran that is a lot of food. You may be laughing after Brexit! We only keep enough food in our freezer for about 2 wks. Freeze bread and milk from weekly supermarket delivery so that takes space. We are not going into shops, and there are only two of us with no visitors at the moment sad

Whitewavemark2 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:02:31

MiniMoon

No, do not downsize your freezer. Mine is tiny below a decent sized fridge. I wish I had the space for another one, but I haven't. There are only two of us, but the freezer is full to bursting.

We have a table top freezer in one of our spare bedrooms, which has been worth its weight in very little gold?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:03:12

Greeneyedgirl

Crikey Georgesgran that is a lot of food. You may be laughing after Brexit! We only keep enough food in our freezer for about 2 wks. Freeze bread and milk from weekly supermarket delivery so that takes space. We are not going into shops, and there are only two of us with no visitors at the moment sad

Yes definitely wait to see what Brexit will be doing.

travelsafar Sun 06-Dec-20 13:03:18

I find it hard without a larger freezer, especially this time of year and during the summer when i have a surplus of soft fruit from the garden. But as there are only two of us and i shop weekly i do manage for the rest of the year. I keep a good store cupboard and have tinned fish and meat so if necessary we could ruzzle up a meal from there. If you do a lot of entertaining then i would defo stick with the larger freezzer but bear in mind the running costs of larger appliances if you are on a budget.

JackyB Sun 06-Dec-20 14:29:46

Well I must be in the minority because although my fridge is full to the brim when I've just been shopping, most of the time it is half empty.

I have to keep reminding myself to use up stuff in the freezer - such a faff.

My mother had a chest freezer in the kitchen and another in the garage. She never used any of the stuff in the garage and we finally decommissioned it and had to throw out most of the contents. The kitchen one was full but only the top layer ever got used.

You fill the space you have, but if you have too much space, much of the stuff gets forgotten and never used.

If there are only 2 of you I would downsize.

But as I say, I am in the minority.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Dec-20 15:12:06

We are two people. When we had a new kitchen fitted 5 or so years ago we had a fitted fridge freezer in our kitchen. Its tiny, hardly room for anything so we ended up buying another for an outhouse.
Wishing i hadnt given away our small Chest freezer.

Pantglas2 Sun 06-Dec-20 15:13:38

I gave away a small chest freezer kept in the garage a few years ago as it was rarely full and managed with just the FF in the kitchen.

However this year, due to COVID and only shopping once a fortnight, I have felt a bit fidgety about not having enough food!

We bought a new FF for the kitchen and have moved the old one to the garage where the fridge holds drinks and I went OTT in Asda and Tesco and stuffed the freezer with enough food to last til Xmas!

I have a drawer for bread etc, one for meat, another for fish and I am very good at doing a weekly menu plan so that I use stuff in rotation (they’re all movable feasts if we change our minds and eat out) - there’s no danger of something lurking for years past it’s edibility!

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 15:26:05

JackyB I suppose it's also dependent on how near you are to the shops and, at the moment, how comfortable you feel going shopping.

Also whether or not you grow and freeze your own produce.