Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Recommendations food processor

(64 Posts)
Cnash Tue 08-Dec-20 10:11:47

I am looking for a processor that will chop and grind but also mix for pastry and cakes. I haven’t bought one for years so out of touch. Any recommendations from anyone who has bought one recently??

Rozzy Wed 09-Dec-20 11:17:15

I love my Magimix too which my dear Mum bought me nearly 40 years ago; it is beginning to sound it's age though. And I have had to buy replacement bowls & lids several times despite (mostly) washing them by hand...

Boolya Wed 09-Dec-20 11:20:52

Magimix 3200XL here too. I have to keep on the work surface as it's too heavy to keeping putting in and out of a cupboard. If it was in a cupboard I fear it would be a case of out of sight ..... much as I love it!

Doreen5 Wed 09-Dec-20 11:25:36

Magimix 4200 without a doubt. Had it for years and it's so versatile. Highly recommended.

jean6enie Wed 09-Dec-20 11:37:24

Get a Thermomix - nothing compares.

Harmonypuss Wed 09-Dec-20 12:41:59

KitchenAid all the way for me.
I've not long ago handed my grandmother's machine down to my son and its still in perfect working order

storey49 Wed 09-Dec-20 13:05:12

I have had my Magimix for over 30 years, would highly recommend

Gin Wed 09-Dec-20 13:08:07

I had my Magimix for forty years but last year it finally gave up the ghost. Feeling that buying a new one would be rather an extravagance as I no longer used it as much as in the past I bought a much cheaper Kenwood. The lid is impossible for me to remove it is so stiff DH has to come and help remove it! Not at all robust, I wish I had paid up and replaced my lovely Magimis.

mar76 Wed 09-Dec-20 13:23:14

I have had a Kenwood for years and wouldn't be without it. The liquidiser is ideal for soup making.

Paperbackwriter Wed 09-Dec-20 13:51:08

Another vote for Magimix. Mine's got lots of attachments but I don't bother with them - the main blade does everything from cakes/pastry to chopping herbs. I also have a tiny version which I use for making pesto and for breadcrumbs if small quantities.

Vintagegirl Wed 09-Dec-20 13:52:13

Interested in these comments. I am on second Krups in 40 yrs and feel will need replacing soon. Use for coleslaw, biscuit dough, breadcrumbs. I use a 'stick blender' for soups, cream etc and still need to use hand cakemixer. There is a liquidiser attachment but no need to bother getting it out as stick blender so much easier. Pity I did not invest in Magimix yrs ago! Another cheaper one will probably see me out.....

Ojoy Wed 09-Dec-20 13:57:16

Magimix definitely! The motor is direct drive and therefore more powerful than the belt driven ones. I’ve had mine for nearly 40 years and it’s the workhorse in my kitchen. The only thing I don’t use it for is meringues as you can’t get enough air into the mixture.

kwest Wed 09-Dec-20 14:24:09

I have a SAGE food processor. Recommended by Hestor Blumenthal. It has a 25 year guarantee. Very powerful. It seems to be able to make everything. I should use it more often than I do. I've just got out of the habit. New year's resolution..........

Quilty Wed 09-Dec-20 15:10:28

I've had my Magimix for 30 years. Not used daily but nonetheless an excellent product. Going 'off piste ' slightly. Just purchased a soup maker....absolutely brilliant!!@

frenchie3 Wed 09-Dec-20 15:12:59

I am on my second Magimix, I gave my daughter my last one, nothing wrong with it after 20 years, just fancied a new one. Have had this one 15 years. Very reliable.

LauraNorder Wed 09-Dec-20 15:21:56

Gosh Urms, I thought for a minute there you were going to let the side down and take up baking!
Why I opened this thread is anyone’s guess! Nosy I suppose.

LauraNorder Wed 09-Dec-20 15:23:33

Oh yes possible Christmas present for Orlin. Especially as he’s asked about Marydoll’s Mars bar cake recipe.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 15:31:57

You only need a bowl, a spoon and a fork for my recipe, Laura. Much cheaper! ?

LauraNorder Wed 09-Dec-20 15:45:16

Oh dear Marydoll now you’ve upset Orlin, he quite fancied a very expensive food processor for Christmas.
I’m relieved though, a nice new bowl, a pack of Mars bars, some socks and a chocolate orange it is then .

KnittyNannie Wed 09-Dec-20 17:26:02

I’m on my second Magimix and second Kenwood Chef (my first I inherited from my Grandmother). Had them both for many years. Couldn’t manage without either!

Tedd1 Wed 09-Dec-20 17:26:32

I recently bought a Cuisinart from Lakeland which seems ok. Looks like I should have bought a Magimix!

Flytothestars Wed 09-Dec-20 19:10:21

schnackie

I am frustrated (daily!) by the tiny size of my kitchen and teeny weeny amount of counter space. In fact I have a fold-out table and often open it up in the living room and put things on it, just to clean the surface counter! So does anyone have any suggestions for a version of this appliance that is very small? Thanks in advance.

I’ve had a Magimix for years then moved to a tiny house and gave my beautiful machine away. I found a baby Magimix www.magimix.co.uk/40-mini-plus and it is brilliant and great for limited storage and workspace! It does everything the big one does. Hope this helps.

Spinnaker Wed 09-Dec-20 19:45:51

Same model Magimix as Marydoll here - it's a proper piece of kit as DH would say - not that he uses it though grin. As I understand it they go in size capacity e.g. 3200/4200/5200. I've had it for nearly twenty years now and it's still in excellent nick. I bought DD the 4200 when she bought her first house and it's still going strong some years on and with the addition of family to cater for.

Also, like Marydoll have the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it's the most robust piece of equipment ever. I bought the sausage making attachment a couple of months ago but haven't yet built up the nerve to make any !

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 21:03:01

Spinnaker, I have the ice cream maker attachment and have been planning to make ice cream for the last two years! grin

lizzypopbottle Wed 09-Dec-20 21:11:21

I inherited my mother's Kenwood Chef and threw my old Moulinex away. Hasty! The Kenwood almost burst into flames! Smoke was pouring out of the motor and I had to run and put it outside! It was probably quite old but hadn't been used much. I haven't replaced it...

dragonfly46 Wed 09-Dec-20 21:56:09

I too recommend the Magimix. I have the smaller one and find it perfect.