Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Recommendations food processor

(64 Posts)
Cnash Tue 08-Dec-20 10:11:47

I am looking for a processor that will chop and grind but also mix for pastry and cakes. I haven’t bought one for years so out of touch. Any recommendations from anyone who has bought one recently??

Spinnaker Wed 09-Dec-20 23:01:53

grin Marydoll

glammagran Wed 09-Dec-20 23:10:52

I got a magimix about 4 years ago. Not overly impressed as I’ve found my electric hand whisk far better at whipping egg whites. Also they are such a faff to clean and to cap it all the buttons are starting to stick. Think I’ve used it less than 50 times.

Candelle Thu 10-Dec-20 01:35:24

I love my Maximix (5200) although this model is a bit large for just the two of us. If you are a one or two person household, I would recommend a smaller model. We used to have a 3200 (I think) but several years ago I wanted a larger bowl size and when I found the 5200 was made in black, well, sold!

There are a few disadvantages:. one has to be careful when kneading bread as too stiff a mixture can damage the spindle;. replacement parts are dear (but probably are with other makes, too) and the blades and slicing discs are extremely sharp, so one has to be careful!

Having written the above, overall they are great, versatile, long-lived machines (I have never heard of a motor going wrong).

If you enjoy cooking you need a Magimix!

Whatdayisit Thu 10-Dec-20 05:11:46

I have a kitchenaid and although i love it (as an expensive ornament) i have found it a disappointment!
I do not recommend one. The cake mix doesn't seem to get picked up by the beater from the bottom of the bowl. I feel stuck with it now but wish i had bought a kenwood or magimix. I don't mean that to sound ungrateful as i do love having it but feel it is not as good as i thought it would be.

vegansrock Thu 10-Dec-20 06:13:04

I have a Magimix which is good, but I keep it in a cupboard and it’s really heavy to lug out when you want to chop a couple of onions. I use a tiny mini chopper I bought in Lidl far more.

Marydoll Thu 10-Dec-20 06:34:51

Whatdayisit , I was initially disappointed in my Kitchinaid and just couldn't get the the blades to work, without scraping the side of the bowl, so it sat for ages on the worktop. Then I decided it was a waste of money just lying there, so gave it another go. Now I use it all the time, I particularly love the dough hooks.

vegansrock I also have the chopper from Lidl, what a bargain! It is invaluable, as my RA makes chopping vegetables very difficult. However, I recently dropped it and it has a large part missing from the base. ? DH keeps suggesting a replacement, but as I've been stuck in since March, I'm not sure how I'm meant to do that! ?

You may have worked out that I like my gadgets!

AlgeswifeVal Thu 10-Dec-20 12:04:16

I’ve had my brain food processor since the 70’s. I used it yesterday it’s working fine.

AlgeswifeVal Thu 10-Dec-20 12:04:44

That should read BRAUN. Sorry

LoobbyLoo Thu 10-Dec-20 13:25:01

AlgeswifeVal. 'brain' food processor grin thought that was new make.

LoobbyLoo Thu 10-Dec-20 13:33:06

Good post, I've been looking for a new processor for a few months but couldn't make up my mind after my Kenwood give up the ghost. Will now be looking at a Magimix. smile

carolmary Fri 11-Dec-20 11:51:54

I have a Kenwood chef and only use it for making bread and the liquidiser attachment for soup.. I also have a Wilko hand held whisk and a smallish cheap Tesco food processor which grates and slices but has no other attachments. That's all I need and I do a lot of cooking. I have had fancy food processers in the past with attachments that were too fiddly to bother with. and I would never buy another one of those. Keep it simple!

Purpledaffodil Fri 11-Dec-20 12:03:05

Another Magimix fan here. Current one is c20 years old but they recently did a very good offer on a set of 3 bowls and other accessories on the grounds that the motors last for ever almost. I use it almost daily but also have a Kenwood Chef for whipping cream and meringue and making big cake quantities.
Tbh I prefer the magimix for everything apart from the above.

GrandmasueUK Tue 15-Dec-20 11:42:10

We just got a Kenwood Prospero, with lots of attachments. I've not taken it out of the box yet. I'm so excited to use it but I didn't realise that you can buy mixers that also cook, apart from the Thermomix, which also now has a friend! grin