Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Miss, Ms or Mrs

(230 Posts)
Lucyloo12 Thu 10-Dec-20 08:16:53

I sent a Xmas card to a newly separated lady the other day and received a very curt text telling me off as I had put the incorrect title. She said I should have written Miss and not Ms.... I on the other hand have been widowed for 12 years and hesitate when asked what my title is. I am not married so object to Mrs but feel that Miss is also wrong as it denotes never married. Ms just sounds too hard feminist to me so I hesitate over what I am. Can we just forget titles and call people by their name, it feels such an outdated thing to do and really it means nothing apart from putting us in outdated boxes. What to you do or think?

buylocal Mon 14-Dec-20 12:00:24

Mostly pronounced the same as 'miss' in my experience.

M0nica Tue 15-Dec-20 10:17:21

Whether you keep your name depends on when you got married. Back in the 1960s I wanted to keep my name and investigated it as well as I could.

I was told, erroneously, that, legally, I had to have my married name on my passport and that it could cause problems and confusion doing anything as a married couple (mortgages etc) if we had diferent surnames.

In the end the problems seemed so insurmountable I gave up and went along with changing my name. Although i always thought that if my marriaage ever ended, and it hasn't, I would immediately revert to my birth name.

AmberSpyglass Tue 15-Dec-20 11:07:49

I’m married but I use Ms most of the time if I have to use a title at all. Although I did get a Christmas card from my sisters in-laws addressed to “Mrs and Mrs AmberSpyglass” and my wife and I have “Mrs and Mrs” mugs which always make me smile.

Esspee Tue 15-Dec-20 13:33:50

That’s my Christmas cards posted. As a result of this thread everyone is addressed by Christian name and surname, nothing else. I never realised it caused so much angst.