Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dare I ask if anyone is planning outside exercise today?

(74 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 22-Dec-20 08:40:24

It's a balmy 11C out there but very dull, damp and barely light!

Oh, it's such an effort on miserable days but needs must hmm so if I can drag myself away from the breakfast table I'm going for sprightly trot around the mean streets smile

fiorentina51 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:22:50

Just back from my tree planting. Between us we planted over 60 trees. Not bad for 3 OAPs! Also ate several mince pies and some chocolate biscuits. ?

etheltbags1 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:19:21

No where to walk so I've stayed in

nadateturbe Tue 22-Dec-20 18:21:48

Wonderful Fiorentina51. What a great thing to do.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 18:22:22

I think you earned them fiorentina
?

mokryna Tue 22-Dec-20 18:24:38

I walked for about an hour in overcast weather through the woods nearby. Very muddy and slippery so had to be very careful but enjoyable to be out because I didn’t go yesterday. Not cold at all.

Blinko Tue 22-Dec-20 18:40:04

I walk most days with a friend and her canine friend. Then once a week, we walk in a local park with two other friends. So I feel lucky that I can walk most days. Not if it's bucketing down, though.

Lucretzia Tue 22-Dec-20 18:50:47

Just returned from our nightly walk with the dog. We go into local woods. Lovely at this time of year due to not seeing anyone else.

Sometimes I'd like to give it a miss but the glares and grumbles from her are too much to cope with

Patsy70 Tue 22-Dec-20 19:14:05

Yes, a lovely, if muddy, walk with my son and our dogs in the woods and fields around our village (in Kent). It wasn’t raining and the sun was shining. smile

tanith Tue 22-Dec-20 19:24:46

I walked the neighbourhood delivering a few cards then did a walk across the park it’s very flooded in parts then along a path I walk often I don’t see anyone often it’s quite peaceful.

Chardy Tue 22-Dec-20 21:15:57

Got completely wet through yesterday dog-walking. Went out this morning when it was still dark but dry-ish for fear of the same.

Lisagran Tue 22-Dec-20 21:29:10

Yes, walked today - chilly, but at least not raining. Muddy woodland walk. Try and walk every day for about an hour / health.

janeainsworth Tue 22-Dec-20 21:37:28

We went out in the late afternoon hoping to see the conjunction of Saturn & Jupiter again, but no luck.
But we did walk a couple of miles with good views of the Tyne Valley,

Soupy Tue 22-Dec-20 21:41:41

Yes, walked into town and back for some shopping then did about 3 miles a bit more rurally.

If it isn't raining I try to do some sort of walk each day, with a longer one once each week.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 22-Dec-20 21:43:14

Went out twice with DDs dog, she enjoyed it but it was wet and very muddy and slippery underfoot.
Still, better than sitting indoors all day reading books, doing jigsaws, eating Christmas chocolates that just flew into my hand....

MayBee70 Tue 22-Dec-20 23:36:23

janeainsworth

We went out in the late afternoon hoping to see the conjunction of Saturn & Jupiter again, but no luck.
But we did walk a couple of miles with good views of the Tyne Valley,

Wasn’t it annoying. Sky was clear as anything a few hours later. It was the same for the Geminids last week, although we did get a few breaks in the cloud occasionally. We weren’t going out yesterday as the weather was miserable but took a drive to the church to see the Christmas tree As we were out we decided to go for a short walk and really enjoyed it. I do have to force myself out when it’s drizzly, though.

Riverwalk Wed 23-Dec-20 11:17:07

My only outdoor exercise so far was a quick dash to buy wine & eggs when there was a lull in the rain!

I'm hoping for something more strenuous later in the day smile

sf101 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:07:20

I went swimming this morning in an indoor pool but had to go outdoors to get there!!
Also walking the dog X 3 as per usual.

Ailidh Wed 23-Dec-20 12:08:46

Walked the dog at 05:15 as usual. There was a respite in the deluge at that point. That's it for the day!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:10:21

Not today as it's chucking it down. I put the bin out and that's quite enough for now.

biba70 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:13:43

Yes, we had rain for a couple of days, but today is clear and much warmer. So out in the garden to cover the poet's narcissi I planted 1 month ago and are probably not quite deep enough. Mixed 1 bug of compost and 1 bag of woodchips in wheel-barrow I had to fetch down from the barn.

Lots of snow foerecast again, hopefully for a White Christmas, and no more gardening.

dragonfly46 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:19:38

Just got back from an hour and a half walk in the rain. It was surprising how many people were out although most of them had dogs!

timetogo2016 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:23:46

The plan was a long walk but it`s thumping down here in staffordshire, and so dull.

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:28:47

Similar here timetogo. I’ve got a novel about living in Rome, so escapism, a little cat on my lap, and DH is baking some sausage rolls to go with soup for lunch.
Little pleasures but they matter at the moment.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Dec-20 18:49:08

Weather is awful today but I’ve been stuck in the house waiting for a delivery. Beautiful weather yesterday but again had to wait in for a delivery.

Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 11:43:09

Blimey it's perishing out there!

I did an hour's brisk walk in the bright sunshine sunshine supposed to be 5C but felt much colder with the freezing northerly wind.