Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dare I ask if anyone is planning outside exercise today?

(74 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 22-Dec-20 08:40:24

It's a balmy 11C out there but very dull, damp and barely light!

Oh, it's such an effort on miserable days but needs must hmm so if I can drag myself away from the breakfast table I'm going for sprightly trot around the mean streets smile

MayBee70 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:06:08

Been awake all night because of the wind. Hailstorm this morning. Now have blue sky but I’m too tired to go out.

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Dec-20 12:56:01

Going for a brisk walk this afternoon and then a Christmas dip in the sea tomorrow!

GillT57 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:10:34

Just back from a very brisk walk with the dog, it is bright and sunny but the wind would take your face off. Poor dog's ears were blowing in the wind and she seemed glad to get back in to the warm. Stopping off to pick up some bread put out for the birds as I let her in!

TerriBull Thu 24-Dec-20 13:50:30

Earlier it was a sunny bright morning here and we went off for our almost daily walk in Bushy Park. Crowded today, to be expected when the weather is good, but quite a few groups of people congregating together, which isn't in the spirit of Tier 4, where we are, particularly when some seem to lack spatial awareness.

All very muddy underfoot, but at least there is an upside to masks, as it was pretty cold, kept mine on throughout, which stopped my nose from getting cold smile

Esspee Thu 24-Dec-20 13:57:43

It’s 10C on our patio at the moment. It started frosty but is now glorious blue sky and blinding sunshine.
Frankly I can’t remember a Christmas Eve like it
I’m in Glasgow.

Maggiemaybe Thu 24-Dec-20 13:58:41

Just had a muddy walk with DD2 and family round a local country park, home for a quick bacon sandwich, and now waiting for DS and family to arrive for walk number two. I’ll remember my hat and gloves this time - it’s nowhere near as warm as those bright skies promise. smile

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Dec-20 14:50:44

Walked to friends earlier for doorstep present exchange, the wind was cold, they usual pop in ours Christmas Day morning for a bacon roll and a cuppa. MayBee70 me too last night, the wind was gusty, I woke three times, beginning to feel it now!

Puzzler61 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:06:20

It’s so cold I only managed to sit in the sheltered corner of my patio, well wrapped up while my daughter and son in law were on the opposite side of the patio. We had the shortest of chats while we exchanged gifts.
I supplied Hot chocolate with a drop of Bailey’s Cream, but we still kept it short. The wind is cutting.
I don’t think it counts as exercise - but it was certainly fresh air.

grannysyb Thu 24-Dec-20 16:57:38

Went for a walk in Bushy park this morning to get away from the smell in my kitchen, DH plucking and gutting four pheasants! Nasty cold northerly wind, so didn't stay out too long, thankfully he had finished when I got back.

BBbevan Thu 24-Dec-20 17:57:09

Beautiful but cold this morning. We walked for 1 1/2 hrs along the coastal path. Lots of flooding but not many people out. The Gower across the estuary was bathed in sunlight,

Riverwalk Sat 26-Dec-20 12:23:20

What with the extra Covid and festive pounds I really needed to get up and out this morning, and I did!

I walked briskly for 80 minutes - it was supposed to be 7C but felt much colder when the wind whipped up.

I'm intending not to slob-out and eat for the remainder of the day! smile

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 12:30:19

Drizzling, now turning to rain and becoming very windy.

So much for a walk in the woods!

Maggiemaybe Sat 26-Dec-20 12:33:27

I'm intending not to slob-out and eat for the remainder of the day!

Did you mean not or now, Riverwalk? I know what it would be if I’d walked for 80 minutes!

Speaking as one who’s only exercise so far today is walking over to the coffee table to shovel yet another chocolate into my mouth.

I really must move that table closer.

Mollygo Sat 26-Dec-20 12:44:30

Walked 4.1 miles to drop off birthday presents even though we can’t call in. It’s 8 degrees here but the wind chill makes it colder. Wish I had an Oodie to curl up in when I get back. They look so warm and all enveloping.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Dec-20 12:44:37

Out at 9am onto the Downs back at 10.45. Not a breath of wind which made for pleasant walk.

Slobed out now watching The Nutcracker

TerriBull Sat 26-Dec-20 12:55:49

We're about to brave the mud and go out for a walk, hoping it won't rain till later.

Riverwalk Sat 26-Dec-20 13:11:20

Did you mean not or now, Riverwalk? I know what it would be if I’d walked for 80 minutes!

Sorry to be virtuous Maggie but I did mean 'not' to slob!

But the day is young so who knows how it will go grin

MissChateline Sat 26-Dec-20 13:17:37

Just come back from my daily 10 miles. Thought I’d get out early before the rain sets in. Bit foggy on the moors here but pleasant.

Riverwalk Sat 26-Dec-20 13:28:29

MissChatelaine how long does 10 miles take you, about 3 hours?

Nortsat Sat 26-Dec-20 14:26:24

Been for my daily one mile walk and it was cold.

The weather forecast says it’s 11c but it felt like about 5c.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 26-Dec-20 16:17:53

Went out Christmas morning for a 15 miles cycle ride with Mr Barmey. Came back and we were sat eating ur Christmas Dinner within 2 hours of getting back. Perfect day for us, a bit of fresh air exercise, a good meal and then sat in front of a log fire.

MissChateline Sat 26-Dec-20 16:36:20

Riverwalk, in one go 10 miles would be about 3 hours. What I tend to do is 3 miles before breakfast through the woods opposite my house and back through some fields. Then I walk down to town, about an hour, and have a good potter about and back up the hill for lunch. Then straight after lunch I head back through town, along the river/canal and up onto the moors. I have a circuit that I tend to do most days and listen to radio 4 on my headphones. This is about 2 hours. Once I get home the rest of the day is mine.
This routine has been in place since March when my partner and I found ourselves stuck in different countries. Having quite a strict routine kept me sane and gave the day some kind of purpose. My partner has now managed to get home but hates exercise of any description so I still go off alone every day.
I also have a walking partner and we go hiking about once a fortnight. She is a long distance hiker and has done the Appalachian trail several times as well as having walked from Mexico to Canada (over s few seasons) so we often drive up to the dales or the forest of Bowland for 15 mile hikes.
There are times when I have to force myself to go out but always feel great once I’m home. I’m very lucky to live in a beautiful area of Yorkshire with lots of fabulous walks.

Riverwalk Sun 27-Dec-20 11:59:05

My friend and I occasionally do 10 miles but this is broken up half way with a pub lunch! So three hours walking and one hour lunch smile

This morning I dragged a very reluctant body out the door and did 55 minutes - the sun was out but the air was damp and cold and I was on my own, so got fed up and came home!