Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Volume on TV

(55 Posts)
Stoker48 Thu 24-Dec-20 08:40:55

Not sure if different sets have differing sliding volume scales, but I’m interested what volume you have your TV.
The person in my bubble seems to have it really loud. When watching TV with them, I generally wear ear plugs ( just the freebie ones) but don’t feel they are that good.
I’ve started to feel a sort of pressure in my ears all the time now. Not sure if this is related and / or coincidental.

Aepgirl Thu 24-Dec-20 11:12:33

I found that I was gradually turning up the volume so went to the Dr who said I had impacted wax in both ears. I went to a private clinic and had them ‘hoovered’ out. I was embarrassed at what came out, but my hearing is so much better now.

However, I find that when there is music during a film I have to turn the sound down, and then up again when the music has finished.

libra10 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:14:16

We have a Samsung TV, and usually have the volume set between 10 and 12. I like the sound a little higher than my OH, but he generally sits slightly closer to the TV.

I find dramas difficult to hear properly, especially when actors are turned away from the screen, and background music takes over.

Adverts are always played at a higher volume, and can be annoying.

I have no people hearing people speaking when face to face. I think a lot of the problem is with flat screen TVs, which don't have good sound quality.

Froglady Thu 24-Dec-20 11:19:55

I have it a lot quieter since I got hearing aids.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 24-Dec-20 11:24:19

Ours is set at about 25 (tv is over 10 years old) although some old b&w films need it at about 35.

Kartush Thu 24-Dec-20 11:28:11

I need it loudish because after years of working with loud machinery my ears are kind of shot

tanith Thu 24-Dec-20 11:45:03

My Samsung TVs between 8 to 10 mostly but Netflix I have to to 15.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Dec-20 11:57:53

Ours is on 13 at the moment, but it does vary, dependent on the channel, age of programme. All comes through the Sky box.

Noreen3 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:00:45

have mine about 20,but have turn it up if my budgie's being noisy

Severnsider Thu 24-Dec-20 12:07:19

Sub-titles on most of the time. BBC4 sound particularly bad.
A lot of American programmes don't have sub-titles. Or, sadly some old films. So I have to resort to hearing aids!

Mohum Thu 24-Dec-20 12:13:59

We use subtitles all the time. Even when loud you can't always tell what is being said. Don't get me started on background music.

Alioop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:19:34

I got a new one and it sits at 9. If I use my recorder box or dvd it's to go up to 15. Have It's a Wonderful Life on at present at 36!

Awesomegranny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:26:47

With hearing aid in 7 and without 10. A lot depends on the channel and sort of programme , so sometimes may need to go up or down a notch. Not easy watching TV with another person if one is going deaf and won’t admit to it!

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:29:00

I have a new set which I haven't used yet. Assuming by what I read here that I will need something like 12-14 instead of the 34 I have on my current older set. Interesting..... thanks.

Annma Thu 24-Dec-20 12:51:07

Try a soundbar, we have an LG one but there are many available at allprices.Our flatscreen TVs sound is so much better.

polnan Thu 24-Dec-20 12:58:24

BBC news, usually no problem, most everything else subtitles.. wonder why!

beverly10 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:09:19

Depends on the programme but find 'news readers' are the easiest to hear.However full volume needed for the 'mumblers' they frquently interview.

Phloembundle Thu 24-Dec-20 13:14:30

My mum won't admit to being a bit deaf but keeps the subtitles on all the time! However, we do have a laugh at some of the misinterpreted words that come up.

Cabbie21 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:25:05

We bought a sound bar as the sound quality on the TV was poor. I always go to be first, but am prevented from getting to sleep as I can hear the TV. Not the actual words, but a sound like drumming. DH won’t believe me. I wish he would wear headphones, as he likes it much louder than I do.

Dianehillbilly1957 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:06:27

I find the sound goes up and down, loud music, then to hushed talking, different channels differ, it drives myself and the other half mad, it's like constantly driving the remote volume!!!

Nonogran Thu 24-Dec-20 15:12:27

A telly never needs to be too loud if your sight is OK. Just try to work out how to use sub titles on your telly.
I am very hard of hearing and wear bi lateral hearing aids but I would never inflict a loud TV on others. The volume is kept to a minimum in my house because I use the sub title facility.

MamaCaz Thu 24-Dec-20 16:39:57

My OH wears hearing aids most of the time, but also puts the subtitles on when necessary, Unfortunately, they are not available for everything, especially some films.
Then on some channels I still get deafened when the ads come on, because they haven't mastered volume continuity. Honestly, you would think that would be easy with modern technology.

Also, sound quality rather than volume is very important to him. If that's poor quality, he still can't tell what is being said no matter how much he turns up the volume (doesn't stop him from doing it though).

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:43:59

Our smart TV plays through our HUMAX so there's a volume control for both. Both are very different.

Also the HD channels are quieter than others!

AGAA4 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:49:06

I had my hearing tested recently and it was fine but on some films I can't hear on my normal sound setting and I think some of the problem is mumbling actors.
As someone else said it is easy to understand newsreaders as they speak clearly.

Hymnbook Thu 24-Dec-20 16:53:26

It depends what l'm watching. My telly is getting old now . Some programmes are fine particularly music but others the sound is dreadful l turn up the volume to 40 and l still can't hear the dialogue clearly. It also helps if they don't drown out the speech with background music.

gillyjp Thu 24-Dec-20 19:10:00

AGAA4

Definitely agree about mumbling actors and when they whisper as well I've started having the subtitles on otherwise I get irritated. I don't think it helps that I have awful tinnitus as does my OH.