Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Volume on TV

(54 Posts)
Stoker48 Thu 24-Dec-20 08:40:55

Not sure if different sets have differing sliding volume scales, but I’m interested what volume you have your TV.
The person in my bubble seems to have it really loud. When watching TV with them, I generally wear ear plugs ( just the freebie ones) but don’t feel they are that good.
I’ve started to feel a sort of pressure in my ears all the time now. Not sure if this is related and / or coincidental.

Lucretzia Thu 24-Dec-20 08:45:21

My father used to have the TV so loud we could hear it as we rounded the corner. Does your bubble person have hearing problems?

If you're constantly being bombarded with loud TV noise your ears will become affected

When we lived close to a school I used to think I'd gone deaf in the school holidays!

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 08:49:18

Don't know what the scale means but I have mine at 34. Is that pretty average/normal with other folks?

Spangler Thu 24-Dec-20 08:52:21

One source of volume annoyance is the way that the adverts seem to automatically increase the volume. Nowadays the adverts are silent, I keep the remote handy to shut them up.

Urmstongran Thu 24-Dec-20 08:54:22

I mute the ads to Spangler! They are SO irritating.

EllanVannin Thu 24-Dec-20 09:09:44

Some programmes are louder than others and it's so annoying when you have to start adjusting the volume just when you've got it right. I'm not hard of hearing fortunately and can't bear it blasting out particularly when the adverts appear then the volume increases-----on purpose so that you'll pay attention to them.

shysal Thu 24-Dec-20 09:14:47

I have the volume quite low, but subtitles are permanently on. That way I don't have to keep adjusting.

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 09:19:32

Some channels seem louder than others as well. My husband has the volume at 12 but I have to increase it to 14 and 16 if there is a lot of dialogue. Not sure if the scale is the same for all TVs.

MiniMoon Thu 24-Dec-20 09:21:56

I find that I have to turn the volume up when I'm watching iPlayer or Netflix.
My TV is connected to a freesat box and the volume is usually set to 9 or 10.
Some films I need to turn up to 34 or more.
When I feel safe about going, I am making an appointment for a hearing check as I have tinnitus which is annoying.

Shortlegs Thu 24-Dec-20 10:23:04

Eh?

JdotJ Thu 24-Dec-20 10:26:26

It depends on how old the programme we are watching is!

Lollipop1 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:27:00

Mid 30's usually. Old films in particular I've had to shoot it all the way up to 90!!! Yes, adverts are much louder consequently apart from the news, I video everything and then just double click and race through the adverts. I do put the words on as well as my beloved has a habit of talking just at the good bit!

Franbern Thu 24-Dec-20 10:27:46

I have a soundbox with my main (Living Room) tv. I also have subtitles on for everything except the news - they are just so out of synch on that, it becomes confusing.
When I first get up in the morning and have tv on with my brekkie - I do not then have my hearing aids in. When these go in when I get dressed, I have to turn down the volume quite a lot, when I turn the tv back on.

jenni123 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:30:38

Each TV has different values, I have mine at 12 or 13 but only when wearing hearing aids, if I remove them I can't hear it at that setting. you can get something called TV Ears that you plug charger into back of TV and wear head set, this way you can have volume on TV set at zero if you want but you can still hear without upsetting others in the room.

ninathenana Thu 24-Dec-20 10:33:56

Ours averages out at about 20. As has been said it depends on the programe.

annodomini Thu 24-Dec-20 10:36:32

I couldn't make out the dialogue in a film I was watching. Turned up the sound and it made no difference. Some sound-tracks are just not suitable for the small screen.

missdeke Thu 24-Dec-20 10:38:02

Mine is on 16 - 18 for most most of the time, always at 12 - 14 on catch up and muted for adverts. The most irritating of all though is when the music, on a film generally, is so much louder than the dialogue!!

Happysexagenarian Thu 24-Dec-20 10:39:52

Ours is usually somewhere between 30 to 34, but it depends on the program some are just louder than others. Adverts always seem to be extra loud. Our AC tell us we have our volume settings higher than they do. We both have TV headphones so we use them when they visit so they can watch at a volume that suits them and we can still hear it too.

LeeN137 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:41:32

TV programmes and ads are supposed to be at the same, universal, volume... But the makers use tricks around the amount of background noise and incidental music that, effectively, make a nonsense of that.

When I watch Countdown, through Virgin, I have the volume at 24 on my Sharp TV, but when I switch to my Fire TV Stick, I have to turn it down (via the TV, as the Stick has no volume control) to around 10-12.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:41:58

At a lower volume than I would really like, as DH refuses to accept that my hearing has deteriorated a little

He reads the texts anyhow, when watching English language series, I don't being a native English speaker, which he is not.

I suspect he can't hear the TV properly either, but he won't admit that his hearing is not as acute as it used to be.

I know it isn't as he no longer hears me walk downstairs in the morning!

Quizzer Thu 24-Dec-20 10:45:15

My DH puts his hearing aids in only when there is a programme he is particularly interested in! Otherwise he turns up the volume all the time and then Imturn it down when he isn't looking!

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-20 10:45:38

I find it hard to hear films in the cinema or on TV that were originally for cinema. There seems to be a different sound recording technique/system that makes the sound too loud and it becomes blurred. Even turning the volume up does not do it. I find it most annoying!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:49:48

I am deaf, but DH isn't, so I try not to deafen him by having the subtitles on, they are funnier than some of the programmes are meant to be.
On the other TV the sound varies between 26 and 34, if thats any help

Mollygo Thu 24-Dec-20 11:00:48

Depends on the TV and the program and on the sound bar. No sound bar 20-24, sound bar on 14-19.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:11:19

I'm adjusting the sound level all the time it seems. I just keep the handset nearby. Some programmes I fear I must be getting deaf as I seem to miss so much of the conversations but on other programmes I hear every word absolutely no bother. Something about sound recording quality?