Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone started Christmas nibbles, indulgences and other such loveliness yet?

(80 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 24-Dec-20 11:56:00

It's a bit early for a drink but it is Christmas Eve so as soon as I've had a bit of a tidy-up I'm going to have a little platter of tasty morsels, hors d'oeuvres, bits & bobs or whatever you want to call special bites.

I think I'll graze all day and not have proper meals, something I never do, and eventually have a G&T followed by wine.

Accompanied by Phil Spector's Christmas album.

tchsmile

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Dec-20 14:07:40

We had a lovely seven hour roast lamb with roast potatoes and carrots last night. This morning I had mince pies for breakfast, picked up a gingerbread latte from Starbucks and we’ll be snacking on party food later before we open stocking presents and watch a film.

ninathenana Thu 24-Dec-20 14:11:09

Off to polish my halo.
Apart from a couple of puff pastry mince pies a neighbour gave us on Saturday, we have had nothing Christmassy

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:15:00

Just about to put some sausage rolls in the oven ??

TerriBull Thu 24-Dec-20 14:20:23

My husband wanted to open the smoked salmon to make a sandwich at lunchtime, but I vetoed his request, only l packet this year, just us, nevertheless it still has to stay in tact for Christmas breakfast, which is smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and Bucks Fizz. However I've told him he can start on the Christmas cake this afternoon tchsmile

Grandmadougal Thu 24-Dec-20 14:20:27

Yes, started on Christmas chocolates yesterday! luckily I have more stashed away smile

Merry Christmas to all!

shysal Thu 24-Dec-20 14:30:01

I slow cooked a ham this morning, so tested a slice in a roll for lunch, followed by some of the Christmas cheese and biscuits. I baked a small Pavlova base, but will leave the cream and fruit filling until tomorrow to stop me eating it today!
I am spending the holiday alone, so I shall eat what I want when I want - even if it is Pavlova for breakfast smile.
Have a good time everybody, whatever your arrangements are.??

GillT57 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:14:37

Can report that the sausage rolls are excellent.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 15:20:38

It's the only time I eat sausage rolls; the sausage meat is still in the freezer so I may have to make some on Boxing Day.

Meanwhile - cook the ham, finish the trifle, finish icing the cake.
There seemed to be no sense of urgency this year.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Dec-20 15:23:02

We’ve already eaten the tin of our favourite Quality Street. I made sausages rolls the other day and half have gone. As we speak I am drinking a large martini. At 4 pm I am zooming my granddaughter and reading her a Christmas story.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Dec-20 15:43:32

Nothing for me, but DH has had a mince pie and a hero..drinks at 5.

phoenix Thu 24-Dec-20 15:46:49

Mr P is now on to his eighth tub of cheeselets tchshock

He does this every year, I buy 2 or 3 in November, but the seem to somehow "dematerialise" tchconfused

Next year I will find a good hiding place for them!

Nell8 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:49:34

I've had a rather stressful session of last minute present wrapping. Trying to remember where I hid things, wondering if I even bought them or did I decide not to in the end. Getting distracted after wrapping a parcel, coming back to stick a label on then writing the wrong name on it.

I thought I'd unwind with a cuppa and a slice of the tiny Christmas cake DH bought for himself and himself alone, as I'd said I wouldn't want any. I got such a filthy look I had to back off, knife in hand, before he went for my ankles! Now I'm lurking in the lounge waiting for the chance to make a fresh assault when he leaves guard duty in the kitchen to go upstairs.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 15:53:14

As my lunch consisted of the thin top of the of over-done Christmas cake and a piece of sharp cheese I'm feeling a bit peckish again.
tchhmm

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 15:54:38

I have hidden the cheeselets, they will be opened this evening when we’re watching the Christmas Eve spooky movie. I think it’s going to be ‘Alien’ unless OH changes his mind tchgrin

AGAA4 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:59:57

I have been given a box of chocs from Hotel Chocolat so have been dipping in.

Yiayia4 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:26:35

Just having a pineapple margarita and smoked mackerel
Pate.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Dec-20 16:35:52

Yes on my second bottle of ginger wine and finished off a bottle of Baileys and I rarely drink ???

AmberSpyglass Thu 24-Dec-20 16:36:02

I have mulled wine and chocolates to nibble on until dinner...

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 16:36:48

Oh Phoenix I'm so envious of Mr P I love cheeselets and always order six a couple of tubs at Christmas. This year none available from my usual source and other suppliers charging an extortionate amount of postage. tchsad

Roses think I may have to join you with the Gaviscon after eating hot sausage rolls and a mince pie.tchgrin

NotAGran55 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:03:20

Mr NAG has eaten his body weight in mince pies ? during the week and I have had one stollen slice .

Grandma11 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:06:49

We have just had a slice of Pork, Duck, and Apricot pie that arrived from our Local Butcher as part of our Meat hamper, very nice it was too! DH has spent the afternoon raiding the Christmas Choccy, his first Choice was a large tube of Smarties left over from packing the Grandchildren's stocking fillers, he's ate the lot!

We enjoyed some very nice Patisserie Cakes with our morning coffee, with nice fresh fruit toppings of Mandarin Oranges, Strawberries, Raspberries, and Black Cherries, needless to say, they did not last long!
I will prepare most of the vegetables tonight and leave in Cold water, the Turkey Crown just needs a couple of hours to roast as it's only a fairly small one compared to other years, I will make the stuffing in the morning.

NfkDumpling Thu 24-Dec-20 17:06:58

Christmas in our house starts on Yule with solstice celebrations to welcome the return of the sun! That's my excuse anyway.

Alishka Thu 24-Dec-20 17:17:59

NfkDumpling we used to have a Solstice Party!

vampirequeen Thu 24-Dec-20 17:35:35

I cooked a gammon today and we had it for tea with jacket spuds and peas followed by a Luxury Yule Log (well not all of it but it's so lush it won't last long).

BBbevan Thu 24-Dec-20 17:49:15

DH bought 4 Packets of P in Bs. There will be only us two for lunch !!!!!
Quality street opened plus French stuffed prunes. DH hates them so they are all mine. Just had a mug of mulled wine and walked into the end of the bed Ouch !