Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Alexa

(33 Posts)
nannyH Sat 26-Dec-20 16:10:46

We have been given an echo-dot as a surprise Christmas present. Just wondering what Alexa can do for us apart from music and are there any pitfalls to be wary of? Advice from GNs before I switch it on, please!!!

mokryna Tue 29-Dec-20 20:49:00

Alexa in Germany helped to convict the murderer last week. The recording of his voice proved his presence

Sallywally1 Tue 29-Dec-20 20:59:38

I mostly use mine for radio or random music, but she is good for information too, such as travel info. My daughter has a lightbulb linked to Alexa and can tell her to turn on the lights ?!

annodomini Tue 29-Dec-20 22:04:29

DS1 has Alexa in kitchen and bedrooms and on his smart TV. I use mine in my bedroom and it plays me to sleep. I tell it to stop playing after 20 or 30 minutes by which time I am usually asleep. If I have to be up early, it's also my alarm but normally I listen to the morning news broadcasts.

Shrub Tue 29-Dec-20 22:26:43

I ask her to play Ocean Sounds, it puts me to sleep beautifully.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Dec-20 22:44:03

Do you stipulate how long to play them for Shrub or are the waves still lapping the shores when you wake up?

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 05:20:34

Hello Urms you can stipulate how long she does / plays anything - radio, book etc.
Just say 'Alexa, stop playing after 30 minutes' or whatever. She'll repeat your instruction back to you so that you know she understands, and then just do it.
She's amazing. I love them!

nadateturbe Wed 30-Dec-20 06:24:01

Thanks FannyCornforth I'll try that (stopping after a time)
I think I am limited as I can't download the Alexa App. Even my new laptop tells me it is incompatible. So am unable to get much info on what my Echo Show can do.
But I am enjoying music, a much wider variety than usual, radio and audible and building playlists on youtube. As I have a screen I can watch as well.
I feel I should be saying please and thank you. It seems rude not to. I did say thank you and Alexa answered You're very welcome!