Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Podcasts?

(50 Posts)
Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 06:12:32

Finally getting organised with wireless headphones courtesy of DS so that I can listen while walking and up my daily mileage ! Any recommendations for interesting podcasts ?

dawidmalan18 Thu 15-Jul-21 07:40:51

It really depends on what you are interested in. If you are looking for more talk radio and interested in family topics, there is a newer podcast called Basically Parenting. They cover things like dealing with your kids and family adventures. They are a married couple with great chemistry. For something more business related, checkout Let’s Talk Small. They discuss topics (podcast post production services) that impact all businesses, but they focus a lot more on smaller businesses.

Hejira Wed 03-Feb-21 21:07:43

I've just discovered the Castbox app which brings together 95,000,000 volumes of audio content from around the world.

Lucca Thu 14-Jan-21 10:55:22

I don’t seem to have the option to download book at bedtime ?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Jan-21 17:05:05

Not a podcast as such but I really enjoy listening to the 45 minute back catalogue of Desert Island Discs. Passes an hour or two along very pleasantly - so many interviewees from many different backgrounds.

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 16:59:31

I’ve enjoyed stephen fry 7 deadly sins.
I’d like a good audio book to listen to. Any ideas ? Not too heavy. Fiction please. But not fantasy or sci fi !

Andrews Wed 13-Jan-21 16:49:37

What a lot of wonderful suggestions! Thanks everyone.

Shizam Thu 07-Jan-21 20:05:06

Radio 4extra do a show on Fridays at 11am called the podcast radio hour. Samples a range of them each week. Have found some gems and duds! through it.

Doodledog Thu 07-Jan-21 03:04:49

The Guilty Feminist is very funny, and Frank Skinner’s poetry podcast is really well done and interesting if you like poetry.

debgaga Thu 07-Jan-21 01:43:19

Another vote for the brilliant Fortunately with Fi and Jane . Out to Lunch with Jay Rayner is well worth a listen.

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 22:58:53

cornishpatsy

Tried older and wider but couldnt stand the way Judith Holder laughs at nothing.

I found it funny and am a fan of Jenny Eclair but Judith laughs unnecessarily.

Agree, too much cackling !

Lolo81 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:32:36

Rachel Maddow did a great podcast about Spiro Agnew if you’re into modern history. I think it was called Bagman. Similarly Slow Burn gives insight on Watergate and another series on the whole Clinton/Lewinsky debacle.

mancgirl Wed 06-Jan-21 21:40:47

Something light hearted, White Wine Question time, with Kate Thornton interviewing "celebs", Tea with Twiggy, similar, Table Manners with Jesse Wear, Louis Theroux has interesting guests.

cornishpatsy Wed 06-Jan-21 19:57:33

Tried older and wider but couldnt stand the way Judith Holder laughs at nothing.

I found it funny and am a fan of Jenny Eclair but Judith laughs unnecessarily.

Liz08 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:58:42

No Such Thing as a Fish, (that's the name, honest) is my fave of all podcasts.
It's made by four QI question setters (elves). In each episode they give us 4 facts which are both informative and amusing! There are over 300 of the 45 min long episodes. Not BBC, Apple sounds, just google it. Brilliant!

DDMorgan Wed 06-Jan-21 18:27:46

I enjoy "Hidden Brain," and there are many episodes, so you can find many topics that will interest you. Also, "Ted Radio Hour" is an hour-long podcast, each episode drawing on a few Ted Talks to discuss many topics. Very interesting - love them both!

Aprilnanna Wed 06-Jan-21 17:03:30

Hi i listen to Liz Earles wellbeing podcasts, and Dr Chattergees pod casts.

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 16:54:44

ixion

Colin Sell? ?
The victim of merciless teasing over the decades!
(Mind you, a fine musician?)

That’s him! Have met up with him again from time to time over the years and he has looked the same for years. Oh it’s radio silly me.
A nice man and very witty in his own right,

Vivvy Wed 06-Jan-21 16:39:47

Call me odd but I listen to true crime there’s certainly some weirdos out there to put in politely.

ixion Wed 06-Jan-21 16:17:39

Colin Sell? ?
The victim of merciless teasing over the decades!
(Mind you, a fine musician?)

Lucca Wed 06-Jan-21 15:28:23

Thanks everyone. Update ! Just back from 12,500 step walk propelled along by listening to Adam Buxton talking to Billy Connolly and stephen Fry 7deadly sins. Tried older and wider but one episode enough due to JH cackle!
(I love I’m sorry I haven’t a clue, specially as friend from uni plays the piano on it,)

Cs783 Wed 06-Jan-21 13:35:14

Congratulations Luca and you now have a world of interesting things to listen to - it all depends what you find interesting of course! Currently I make sure I catch some comedy, some politics, some health / current affairs. ‘How to vaccinate the world’ is my top pick right now.

BUT can anyone give me more ideas about how to keep busy while I listen? Alongside walks, housework, gardening, crafting, isn’t yet enough to catch all the fascinating stuff...

LadyO Wed 06-Jan-21 13:14:04

Another vote here for Older and Wider with Judith Holder and Jenny Eclair.... on Podcast app - very funny.

Also on the BBC Sounds app...
- If you like short plays Jenny Eclair has written 15 minute monologues, read by excellent actresses, they are so well-observed and funny.
- ‘Fortunately with Fi and Jane’ is always worth a listen.
- I loved Barack Obama reading his own book ‘A Promised Land’ - now about to start reading the book itself which I received at Christmas.

littleowl Wed 06-Jan-21 13:06:56

I love podcasts and listen to them daily.
Not sure where your interests lie but I can recommend:

Podcast From The Past - 2 guests discuss old postcards and their stories.
BBC World Service Series - Goodbye To All This - several episodes tracking an Ozzie woman whose husband has died young from cancer and how she copes. Keep a box of tissues handy!
UK Wildlife podcast - all things wildlife.
This is Love - stories about sacrifice, obsession and love.
How To Fail with Elizabeth Day- A new interviewee every week explores what their failures taught them.
Reinvent Yourself Tips and tricks for re-inventing yourself by interviewees who have taken that path.
Sleep Meditation Podcast - Soothing sounds that lull you to sleep.
Books and Authors BBC Radio 4 - Features A Good Read and Open Book - Guests discuss a recommended book each with Harriet Gilbert.
Cash Chats with Andy Webb. Sounds dull but isn’t. Money talk about relevant and interesting topics. Andy is great for even day, down to earth advice.

gangstergranny Wed 06-Jan-21 12:44:08

BBC Sounds Radio 4 & Radio 4Extra if you like a good play or factual listening. Last night unable to sleep I drifted through HG Wells Ann Veronica....excellent will catch part 2 later. I love Hercule Poirot, Dick Francis, Archers and many more. On a different note (Slimming World Member) I listen to Slimming World Podcasts which are free and very interesting...not just about diets mental health & fitness is also covered too. Happy listening smile

Taka Wed 06-Jan-21 12:24:57

Older and Wider - hilarious!