Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which is your favourite poem and why?

(208 Posts)
Bakingmad0203 Wed 06-Jan-21 12:12:43

I have just finished watching Hope Gap and that made me think about poets and poetry.
I think my favourite is Home Thoughts from Abroad by Robert Browning because it makes me appreciate living here especially in the Spring, and having lived and worked abroad I know what it’s like to be homesick. I learnt it at school when I was about 11 and can still recite it word for word!

stephenfryer Wed 27-Jan-21 22:16:31

A late entry, just read it -

Galway Kinnell

www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42680/after-making-love-we-hear-footsteps

Sickofweddingcake Thu 28-Jan-21 13:32:23

Absolutely anything by Thomas Hardy, especially: 'The Going'...sad,as you can feel his grief!

GagaJo Fri 29-Jan-21 00:26:22

Poetry of Thomas Hardy was on the IGCSE Literature syllabus 4 years ago. By the time we had read the 12th poem, the class loathed him.

Alishka Wed 03-Feb-21 15:53:18

Currently, a poem I've shared many times, is the Max Boyce poem for our time "when just the tide went out"
grin

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 19:06:26

Mamardoit

I've just found the Max Boyce poem on YouTube. It was written about the first lock down so worth a listen.

Gosh, Mamardoit. What a lovely poem. I'd forgotten all about Max Boyce. My Welsh friends were always quoting him when I was at university. Haven't heard anything by him for over 40 years.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 19:09:29

May7 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:45:43

Ae Fond Kiss
BY ROBERT BURNS

Now you've done it! Gone and made me cry.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 19:36:51

0wlfred

'Death be not proud' by John Donne; helps me keep a sense of perspective. I am also very fond of Kipling's 'If' except for the last line (You'll be a man, my son).

What's wrong with the last line? Isn't the poem all about growing up and what qualities are needed to be an adult in a difficult world?

I like to bit about walking with kings and not losing the common touch. John Saxbee, Bishop of Lincoln springs to mind.