Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's is yours set at?

(111 Posts)
PollyDolly Wed 06-Jan-21 19:02:58

Just curious to know what you all set your heating thermostat to?
OH is rather nesh and given half a chance would have the heating running quite high all day, I, a n the other hand, turn it down and put a woolly on.
What do you do?

Froglady Thu 07-Jan-21 09:23:53

Mine is set to come on at 7am and go off at 9am and then again at 5pm until 8pm. Temperature is set at 20C.
But I am having to put it on during the day as well these days as it's cold and, as I'm disabled, I don't do much activity during the day so I feel the cold.

tanith Thu 07-Jan-21 09:26:12

If mine was on 18* at night I wouldn’t sleep can’t abide a stuffy room.

Genty Thu 07-Jan-21 09:29:48

I have storage heaters so no stable room temperature, if I open the vents up too early in the day Ive hardly any heat at all by the evening. So I open them up a little about 10am then open them up fully around 3pm, I top the heat up with a fan heater when needed. I had the one in the bedroom removed as when its on it was like being in a toaster over night, so I bought a convecter heater to have on when needed. Im all electric and in council sheltered housing so cant change the heating and theres no gas supply.

Humbertbear Thu 07-Jan-21 09:54:11

I think it spends on your house. We have our thermostat set higher than most people on here but the house is still cold. It never actually reaches that temperature but if it went off when the hall reached 19 we would all get frostbite in the lounge. And yes, new extended the room and it needs another radiator but we didn’t think of it at the time.

pen50 Thu 07-Jan-21 09:56:06

My overall thermostat is set at 22° in the rather cold and draughty hall. However I have rather cunning radio controlled individual valve and remote programmable thermostat sets on my room radiators, so different parts of the house get heated to different temperatures different times of the day. The thermostats have an override feature so they're normally for an operating temperature at the low end of what I want and then I click them up a degree or two if I feel chilly. Works well for me!

4allweknow Thu 07-Jan-21 10:00:32

Bedroom radiators have the thermostat turned to one, bathrooms and other rooms set at medium with the room thermostat control set at 20°.

Elvis58 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:02:05

We turn it up a degree or two and leave on all day.As a child l lived in a house where my parents had it on 2 hours of an evening the house was constantly freezing.l vowed never to live in a house like that.

Gymstagran Thu 07-Jan-21 10:03:32

Notspaghetti the advice was given by our local council healthwatch and endorsed by the NHS. As I said it was a few years ago and I don't think it differs too much from the advice you have quoted. The majority of people in the room were well over 65 and most have ongoing medical conditions. Both advise that over 18° degrees may be beneficial in these cases, although mine is a bit stronger than advice. However, at night your quoted advice is that 18° may be beneficial to the over 65s or those with pre existing conditions. So as its only "may" I guess you don't need to swelter. I guess I was just a bit irritated by risks people were taking by being in a too cold home.

Flakesdayout Thu 07-Jan-21 10:04:36

I switch my heating on about 7am when I wake and will wait an hour before I crawl out of bed. The heating is set at 18.5 but I usually turn it off at 10.30 and as I work at home I tend to put on thick jumpers and a huge blanket snuggly top that comes down to my knees, which my Son bought me for Xmas. It is so warm although I look huge! The heating goes back on at 4.30 ish and set at 20 degrees. This then goes off at 9.30. If it is really cold we do have an open fire but I then get too hot. OH loves the heat and would have it on high all day.

jenni123 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:10:33

I have lived in my sheltered flat for just over 6 years and in all that time I have never put any heating on, we have naff storage heaters anyway which I find useless. I am on the 1st floor so have other flats all around me, in the past few days I have felt a little chilly so have taken to wearing a big cardi. saves on electric bills too

Purplepoppies Thu 07-Jan-21 10:10:56

I don't have a thermostat or thermostats on my radiators ?
The temperature on the boiler is not a reflection on the room temperature. I don't begin to try and understand it.....
Im in the middle of the menopause so the heating goes on and off as the flushes come and go ?
But I've only myself to please

Polly4t42 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:12:31

Comes on at 16 up to 18 when we get up, then goes to 19 when we look after young grandchildren or in the evening.

Riggie Thu 07-Jan-21 10:19:50

Ours is set at 21 in the hall but living room thermometer rarely gets above 20.
Occasionally if very cold we put heating on overnight but as Im the colder person I just pile blankets on my side of the bed and stick my cold feet on dh or a heat pad!!

Twig14 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:20:47

Had no heat on since Christmas as boiler packed up. Plumbers here at moment thank goodness installing new system. Last night thermostat highest ever sheer bliss! It’s currently-2 here so I’m very thankful to be keeping warm

readalot Thu 07-Jan-21 10:23:12

I put mine at 22 degrees when I get up. I feel the cold a lot

Theoddbird Thu 07-Jan-21 10:24:47

I don't have central heating...I live on a narrow boat. Multifuel burner keeps me warm. Thermometer usually reads around 18 degrees plenty warm enough. Bedroom is usually around 15. Colder in morning of course as burner has died down. I do as was done when young. Thick socks and warm cardie.. .

nipsmum Thu 07-Jan-21 10:26:22

Mine is set at 22 but comes on at 7.30 in the am off at 9.30 back on at 4.30 and off at 9.30 p /If I feel cold I can boost it for an hour at any time. Off at night though. I don't need it then.

janeainsworth Thu 07-Jan-21 10:36:40

Thank you Gymstagran for your post, I was beginning to feel guilty.
20C here from 6.30am till 4.30pm, then 21C till 10.30pm.
My understanding was that if you have the heating coming on in two spells eg 6.30 -8.30am then 4.30 -10pm, it actually takes more energy to reheat the house for the second time than if you left the heating on continuously.
Anyone else heard this?

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 10:37:14

Thanks Gymstagran - I think the real issue isn't necessarily the temperature that the heating is set at but the actual temperature per room and your own sctivity.

If you are fortunate enough to be busy and active I expect you are naturally happy at a lower temperature. If on the other hand your life is largely sedentary I expect you need more external heat.

Years ago I worked with families whose homes by any standard were freezing, day and night. These homes were damp, draughty and not fit to live in. The winter heating allowance would barely touch these homes.
We need decent social housing in my opinion to raise the option of affordable heating for the very poorest.

Newatthis Thu 07-Jan-21 10:44:49

41 years married and still we cannot agree. I am a very nesh person, always cold DH walks around in shorts and 'T' shirts all weather. I find it very uncomfortable to layer although don't mind an extra woolly or fleece so we agree to disagree and DH just goes into the garden when he gets overwhelmed. Fortunately he likes being outside.

sazz1 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:52:53

Overnight I set to 17C or 19C if it's below freezing outside. Usually at 19C for daytime until around teatime then up to 21C or 22C for a few hours. Gets very hot if we have the oven on or light the log burner so down to 19C again until bedtime

Helen657 Thu 07-Jan-21 10:57:02

Ours is on 6am to 9pm, set at 18 until 2pm when it changes to 19 degrees. Set at 12 degrees at night just to stop house dropping below that. Mind you I cheat by putting the thermostat in the coolest room downstairs so 18 in there is probably 20 in the rest of the house! Hubby is nesh (worked in KSA until mid December) so wears 3 layers and a woolly hat in the house! ?

Moggycuddler Thu 07-Jan-21 11:03:59

20 currently as it's very cold here. But when it's not quite so cold, 18 or 19. We can turn the individual radiators up and down as well. We've been leaving it on 24 hours recently as we get up and down in the night sometimes, and also we don't like it to get cold overnight for our cats.

beverly10 Thu 07-Jan-21 11:05:32

PollyDolly
Who in your household pays the heating bill?

Toots Thu 07-Jan-21 11:06:42

Usually 18, but at the moment between 18-20....usually timed for a couple of hours morning and evening but been on all day just lately. Never at night though as we like a cosy bed but fresh air too... in fact I always have a small window open unless its freeeeezing!