Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Present for my first grandchild?

(114 Posts)
ellie22 Wed 06-Jan-21 20:11:48

My first grandchild is due at the beginning of April. We were going to offer to put towards a pushchair (goodness they are a price now!) or a cot but daughter and husband have bought both...they saved up for the pushchair and bought a fab cot second hand....she has bought quite a bit of stuff to be honest as is very organised. Relatives have bought a bouncy chair so can't buy that but would like to buy the first teddy for the baby (and have asked daughter who is all in favour)
Obviously that is not ALL we will buy...but I am very at sea these days with what is useful/good to buy for babies. I have bought bits ...book, clothes etc although holding off on that as don't want to buy too much too soon nor do we, or they, know what sex the baby is.
So...any suggestions on good (cuddly and probably washable ) teddies. Or indeed anything you bought for your first grandchild. Obviously I did think perhaps cot/pram bedding although mum in law has made some lovely blankets (not my skill!)
It's been a ray of light in these dark times to be honest...new life and all that

ss1024 Sat 09-Jan-21 12:30:03

I got my first grandson a changing table that can be turned into a dresser later on by simply taking off the top. I also got a high chair that attaches to the table for use at my home. My DS & DIL love it because he is part of the gathering around the table.

Thistlelass Thu 14-Jan-21 19:37:29

I would by a jumperoo! It wont be too long until the wee one is having a ball in it!

rubysong Thu 14-Jan-21 22:01:09

I agree with Thistlelass a Jumperoo is great. (You need to know the sound can be turned off when it starts to drive you mad.)

Mistyfluff8 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:43:46

I also ended up getting loads of nappies Disposable (her choice)and water wipes (her choice)although cotton wool and water if used Peter Rabbit is lovely to cuddle

judew99 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:17:49

We got bought our daughter a gift basket like this one -

www.thats-mine.co.uk/product/personalised-white-and-grey-baby-gift-basket-with-grey-bunny-soft-toy/

It had the essentials in - muslins, blanket, bathrobe and a toy, embroidered with my grandsons name which was a lovely personal touch and was really well received

Nannashirlz Wed 19-Jan-22 11:00:04

Hi with all my grandkids I’ve bought them a steiff year bear so you could actually buy it now. Steiff is a bear that gains value in years but mine have played with them too. It’s a nice keep sake also I got them a personality things from www.myfirstyears.com check out the web site as you can see my last one. Daughter inlaws put them in box for when adults. But I tend to ask if anything they need. I’ve got baby alarms to play mats lol just remember it’s not a competition who buys the most or the most expensive. Don’t feel pressure to go passed your means. and baby won’t noticed no different but that’s what I got my last granddaughter born our lockdown baby as she will be known as.

Daisydaisydaisy Mon 14-Feb-22 12:35:23

Hi there.
I bought My Granddaughter a Steiff Teddybear but Merrythought are nice too..Admittedly it was a cuddly bear but a Tradional bear...They can be very expensive but the one I purchased was around £80 odd pounds I think...have a look at John Lewis.
I felt that it was something that would last forever....smile

Daisydaisydaisy Mon 14-Feb-22 12:35:58

*:wasnt a cuddly bear

Greyduster Mon 14-Feb-22 12:58:05

I remember the day after my GS was born, DD asked if we would pop into Mothercare on the way to the hospital to get a couple of things she needed, and just before we got to the checkout DH picked up, on impulse, a small soft floppy teddy. He has been GS’s companion from that day, and even now, at fifteen, when other soft toys have been consigned to storage, Duncan is still on his bed (admittedly shoved under the covers of his friends are around!). I agree with those who say a savings account of some kind if you can get a reasonable rate of interest.

Kalu Mon 14-Feb-22 14:01:00

Steif bears for both GDs.
My own Steif bear arrived at the hospital when I was born courtesy of maternal GPS. He will be 72 on Friday.

GD1 received a box set of Beatrix Potter - The Complete Tales for her first birthday from her aunt, DD2 who along with her sister, loved BP’s books, unfortunately, GD1 preferred Winnie the Pooh.

Kalu Mon 14-Feb-22 14:03:26

Just read my post - GPS didn’t deliver me! ?

Grandnana Tue 15-Feb-22 09:01:14

Grannynannywanny

My grandchildren all loved these cuddly comforters when they were babies. They snuggled with them at bedtime. If they become very attached to them, as my 4 did, they need at least 2 to allow for one being in the wash. They are very easily machine washable. There are lots of brands and varieties. If you google baby comforters you’ll see them.

100% get a couple of these. Maybe something a bit simpler with just the head on the corner (not as gross as it sounds!) because he/she might well keep them for years.
My grandchildren still take theirs to bed and their ages are 6, 9 and 11 YEARS not months!! ???

Witzend Tue 15-Feb-22 18:22:00

Jellycat soft toys are very soft and cuddly. A Gdd adored her Jellycat dog.
Re Steiff, the button in ear thing always put me off - can you remove them? Otherwise I think it’d drive me nuts.

For a traditional type teddy I agree with a pp that Merrythought are lovely. A dd had a little Merrythought ted at one day old - Baby Bear went everywhere with her, into her 20s, even on a very hairy trip by horse in Siberia.