Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How many pairs of knickers do you own? Without looking, have a guess....

(117 Posts)
Stoker48 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:49:28

Had an on line conversation with a friend yesterday. She had just cleaned out her underwear draw. I did mine at the start of first lock down and had clear out.
I knew I still had quite a few pairs - assumed about 20. Just counted them and, including the pair I’m wearing and two in the washing, I have 70 pairs.
Yes, 70.
Funny thing is, I have my favorites so tend to consistently wear the same half a dozen!

Helen657 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:50:35

About 30, but in 3 different sizes to suit how the dieting/healthy eating is going. I’m currently in the largest size (only got 7 of them!) and have just ordered some more as don’t think I’ll be going down a size too soon!grin

kathsue Fri 22-Jan-21 15:53:40

I accidentally washed a white bra in a navy blue wash and it came a lovely pale blue with white straps and trimmings.

Pittcity Fri 22-Jan-21 15:55:47

I've got 7 black and 7 white/beige. Had a big clear out as we're moving. Only 7 bras. Enough for a fortnight away from a washing machine!

LadyGracie Fri 22-Jan-21 15:59:25

I must have about 50-60 pairs. Mainly black or flesh coloured M&S.

Tea3 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:59:54

Now there’s an idea GagaJo, thank you. I haven’t dyed anything in years but the thought of a batch of navy knicks may just get me going again.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 16:05:35

Maybe 20 I clear out regularly I’ve never bought ‘a set’
But now socks I do have dozens and dozens thigh length, knee length, ankle length, trainers, and trainer liners plus bamboo socks all colours I like my socks wear two pairs when it’s cold cold

Millie22 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:08:31

Probably about 80 and 95% of those are m&s. The 3 for 2 offer is now 4 for 3 though and I wish they would change it back.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 16:16:22

I am fascinated, why do people have so many pairs of pants, socks bras, etc and where do you keep them all?

biba70 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:19:17

Got loads, because most of them are too small and I live in hope ;)

kircubbin2000 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:20:15

I've so many the drawer is full. I dont know which to bin so I store the extras in a pretty carrier bag.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:21:57

Less than 20 at a guess all white and all M&S.

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:23:14

I guessed about 15. How wrong I was when I checked. At least 40 and another 15 ish from the fun past which I may as well throw out!

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:24:45

I’m with you on sizing Stoker48

Davida1968 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:27:22

About twenty. Mostly in black or "nude" colour, made by Sloggi. All worn in turn (depending on clothing colours) and all stored neatly in a drawer, in Marie-Kondo's recommended way.

gulligranny Fri 22-Jan-21 16:31:19

I have about 35 pairs, all sorts and colours, all cotton/polyester mix and now mostly washed so soft that they are like a second skin. Proper big-girl pants, none of your hi-leg or thong for me! My knicker drawer is organised into colours and all pants are rolled as you can get far more in than by folding.

trisher Fri 22-Jan-21 16:39:15

About 20 I guess, but I know one thing, some of them are past their best. I used to pick a pack up when I was shopping at my local supermarket, but I've been shopping on line since the first lock down, which means that even the newest ones are over a year old! as for the oldest I dread to think!

AGAA4 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:48:49

About 40 pairs all different colours all high leg.

midgey Fri 22-Jan-21 16:53:06

Good lord! Such a knicker wealth displayed. Why on earth would anyone needs so many?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:54:08

18 I know that for a fact as I was sorting out my underwear draw last week, so decided to count them and my bras

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 16:54:54

Davida1968

About twenty. Mostly in black or "nude" colour, made by Sloggi. All worn in turn (depending on clothing colours) and all stored neatly in a drawer, in Marie-Kondo's recommended way.

Swot!!

annodomini Fri 22-Jan-21 16:59:55

About 20, I think. Most have seen better days. The last purchase was over 2 years ago for my last visit to New Zealand. Lots of different colours so my washing in summer looks like a line of bunting.

FlexibleFriend Fri 22-Jan-21 18:03:32

Well no one asked how many we needed, we were asked to guess how many we had and yes I guessed at 100 and doubt I'm far wrong. They are kept in a cube unit and there's plenty of room. Obviously no one needs a 100 but I'm not chucking them out when there's nothing wrong with them and I do have a regular clear out. I guess the reason I have so many is multiple hospital stays and every time I stock up on new knickers, new nighties and new flannels. Yep got stacks of flannels too.

Franbern Fri 22-Jan-21 18:11:24

I have about 20 pair of knickers. I know I need to replace some, but am still missing BHS,where I used to purchase them. Some newer ones came from Sainsbury , but so miss BHS for this sort of thing.

Socks, I only wear in the winter months, autumn and spring I use ankle high stocking type things, and - as soon as it gets warmer and I am able to wear skirts and sandals I do not wear anything else on my feet.

However, I have a lot of socks as I do like to match the colour of them to the trousers and jumper I am wearing, so probably about 30 plus pairs.

I only do washing once a week, so never come close to running out of clean knickers and socks.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-Jan-21 18:12:28

I’m guessing at about 40. A few different styles but mostly flesh coloured big ones. They don’t show through anything, no VPL and are comfy.
I have about 20 pairs that are really past their best that are for holidays. In theory I am supposed to wear a pair then bin it. I can’t really work out why I keep bringing them home!
I always seem to come across washing machines so I think ‘“well no harm putting them in”.

Nortsat Fri 22-Jan-21 18:13:12

About 20, mostly M&S and I do sort them out when they get tatty.Then I recycle them in the fabric recycling bank.