Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Improving with age

(70 Posts)
honeyrose Sun 07-Feb-21 15:22:41

This may seem a bit light-weight, but I was wondering who you think has improved with age, looks-wise? Male or female. For me, I’d have to say Gary Barlow. He’s now 50 and although he’s always been good-looking, I think he looks even better at 50. He was on the Graham Norton tv show a few weeks ago, and I was impressed with his personality and sense of humour too, but I couldn’t also help thinking that he’s ageing very well. Still young really - at 50 (and young enough to be my son!).

Millie22 Fri 26-Feb-21 21:12:30

Going back to Felicity she has that cat look about her that happens after a bit of botox. She must be 75ish.

Calendargirl Fri 26-Feb-21 21:18:19

Don’t agree that Anne Robinson looked ok after her facelift. They all seem to end up not able to open their mouths properly, seem to talk out of the side somehow.

MissAdventure Fri 26-Feb-21 21:22:11

I sometimes think the girl next door type women must keep tweaking their looks a tiny bit.
Amanda Holden, I hadn't seen her for about 18 months, and genuinely couldn't place who she was.

muse Fri 26-Feb-21 21:27:35

Definitely Sigourney Weaver. (71) She puts it down to a vegan diet.
Diane Keaton (75).

Martin Shaw - yummy
I'm sure Goldie has.

Much can be hidden with good makeup.

I try to keep away from mirrors but very difficult as I put contact lenses in every day hmm

Puzzled Tue 02-Mar-21 11:00:41

Age brings experience, and the ability to make better judgement and the skills to do things better.
We have learned to appreciate the good things, and better how to avoid the bad.

trisher Tue 02-Mar-21 11:44:57

I think it's difficult. Jane Fonda at the Golden Globe awards looked very sleek and well groomed for her age. It's obvious she has had work and you could say she looked very good. On the other hand Mary Beard who hasn't had anything done and is just so natural has in my opinion a vibrancy and enthusiasm which make her attractive in an unconventional way.
I wonder if that is why men are seen to be more attractive as they grow older because women see character more than looks?

Poppyred Tue 02-Mar-21 12:02:59

All celebrities now have a perfect set of whiter than white teeth and professional hair and make up done , this goes a long way in helping to look younger.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 02-Mar-21 12:09:46

David Ginola & Lulu & Raquel Welch

Puzzler61 Tue 02-Mar-21 14:15:43

Nigel Havers has lots of hair and hardly looks different to how he did a decade ago. Slim too. It’s as if he has stopped ageing at 60.

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 14:21:54

We just saw Bonnie Tyler on the lunch-time news and I thought she has improved with age. She has just learnt to swim at age 69!

DH obviously thought she looked good too because he kept exclaiming "My word, doesn't she look good for nearly 70!"

Yes, all right, I know I have lockdown hair and no makeup but there's no need to go on about how good she looks hmm

Kate1949 Tue 02-Mar-21 17:27:31

She hasn't improved with age but I think Joan Collins looks amazing. She's 87.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Mar-21 17:45:40

I saw Bonnie Tyler on the news too---absolutely amazed at the fact that she's in her 70th year. Loves her champagne so it must be that.
I have a friend whose only drink is champagne and she looks good too in her 73rd year.

I wish I liked alcohol grin

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 22:27:27

I didn't realise that champagne is the answer - cheers!

??

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 18:00:58

So haven't I drunk enough of it? Who knew? Bring on the Bolly!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 18:28:35

I think that's why it's called being "pickled". smile

Nansnet Thu 04-Mar-21 05:33:55

I think Meryl Streep always looks amazing, she has such great skin, and always has such a lovely smile, and looks so happy. Also, Sally Field, Susan Sarandon, Helen Mirren all look fabulous. And, for the younger ones, Julia Roberts, and Jennifer Aniston have both grown into their looks as they get older. They don't look plastic, and fake, like so many celebrities seem to. As for men, I think definitely Martin Kemp, and also Robert Downey Jr, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrell and Brad Pitt, are all improving with age!

CanadianGran Thu 04-Mar-21 06:32:42

Julie Louise Dreyfus always looks good, and hasn't embraced the plastic Hollywood look.

CanadianGran Thu 04-Mar-21 06:39:13

Julie Louise Dreyfus always looks good, and hasn't embraced the plastic Hollywood look.

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 11:17:15

Just seen Peter Egan (from Unforgotten). He looks good for 74.