Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If this were your hair what would you be doing with it? ?

(185 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 18:55:11

My hair has gone so dry and tangled these last few weeks.
OMG ?

I got Himself to take a photo of the back for me just now so I could see it. It feels so dry and tangly and I wanted to see it up close.

The first picture is from the end of October and the second one, just tonight.

No haircut in between & I can’t get to a hairdresser right now. (same for everybody I know)

What do you think I should do?
I’m thinking apply some products. Like Argon oil ? or coconut oil ? and wrap it in a turban to absorb the conditioner. It shocked me to be honest.

Any suggestions please? I’d be grateful.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 19:16:40

Lettice

The only times my hair got tangled and fuzzy at the back like that was after indulging in some rather vigorous sex. Urmstongran, could this be the issue ? lol

That made me giggle Lettice.
My lips are sealed of course.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 19:14:10

Greciangirl

P.s,
It does look as if it needs a good brush out.

Ditto GrecianGirl. ?

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 19:13:33

ExaltedWombat

Looks like it could do with a good brush. I doubt 'products' are the answer.

❤️ your comment ExcitedWombat!
I wish.
?

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 19:12:39

Your hair looks lovely Mercedes55! Shiny and healthy. I like the blunt cut at the ends too.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 19:09:51

Isn’t it funny dorcas how we imagine other posters to look? I bet anyone who joins in ‘meet ups’ is surprised at times.

Yes you’re right though. I’m naturally a brunette. Well mid brown. I have brown eyes.

In the last few years I’ve become addicted to blonde. Started with highlights and it progressed from there. Hairdressers did tell me once you start ...
?

dorcas1950 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:57:17

My hairdresser swears by Argon oil. I don't know why but I thought you were a brunette Urmstongran!

Kate22 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:30:40

Try not to worry although that’s easier said than done, you’ve noticed and you’re doing something about it. It still looks a good shape and I don’t think it’s any shorter, just tangled. I would recommend using hair oil to smooth down the hair cuticles, not using any straightening tools or even a hair dryer, don’t tie it back with anything and / the most difficult thing of all- letting the colour grow out- it’s very often bleaching that causes dryness. I’d let all the damaged hair grow out and then start again. Good luck , it will look lovely again soon

Greciangirl Fri 12-Feb-21 17:48:26

P.s,
It does look as if it needs a good brush out.

Treetops05 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:42:12

I wouldn't panic about the length, if your hair is tangled, and twisted that will take up some of the length x

Greciangirl Fri 12-Feb-21 17:42:08

My hair has become thin and stringy lately.
It looks greasy, but isn’t.

Colour is now fading also and it looks a complete mess.
It’s usually an ear length bob with a nice shape, but now it just hangs. Can’t get to hairdresser either and am utterly fed up with it. Maybe it’s the extremes of weather and central heating. Not good.

Mercedes55 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:27:33

The one thing that comes to my mind is that as hair grows at such a slow rate, I think it's about ½in 6wks, it's strange how your hair has changed so much in such a short time, so to my mind it's not so much what is going on inside your body but what you are doing to your actual hair if that makes sense.

I am another who uses Olaplex, although to be honest I haven't noticed the huge improvements that they extol on their blogs. I also use a Redken mask on my hair every week, have a silk pillowcase and have softened water, so no build up of hard water.

I haven't had my hair cut for a year now and it's hard work when you have fine coloured hair to keep it looking healthy. I will try to put a pic on of how mine is now, not terribly happy with it as it keeps breaking but I have had blood tests done and my thyroid is normal and so was everything else!

ExaltedWombat Fri 12-Feb-21 17:15:57

Looks like it could do with a good brush. I doubt 'products' are the answer.

Susanne123 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:12:23

I agree with with J52. Is your hair coloured? If so I recommend you do a weekly treatment on it. Wash your hair in a gentle shampoo either a moisturising shampoo or even baby shampoo then put a treatment on and leave it for as long as you can. When you rinse off gently towel dry and leave to almost dry naturally before you style it. I recommend you use a heat spray on before you put heat on it. You can actually buy a leave in finishing argon oil. But only a few drops as it looks like your hair is quite fine. I would not recommend brushing it. Use a wide tooth comb

Susieq62 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:43:39

Argon oil is great for a once a week pick me up. I leave it in after washing and wrap my head in a warm towel so that it penetrates. I also use a product called Elvive Dream Length No Haircut Cream . I ordered it online from Boots and it has helped my tangled mess as well. My other half trims my fringe!!

Sickofweddingcake Fri 12-Feb-21 16:25:57

When my hair was similar, apart from weeding out medical causes...none!... I was left to sift through a myriad of very helpful advice. I took away these two pieces: Olaplex...and, I feel, coupled with it,the thing that worked, and still does, is the fact that I religiously sleep on silk. I toss and turn throughout the night and the friction that it caused made me look not too dissimilar to Rick Mayall in 'Drop Dead, Fred'!
The silk calms the static, which stops the hair from 'tatting' .
I know others have mentioned sleeping on silk, I just wanted to reiterate to you that,for me,at least, it really works.

Jaye53 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:12:07

Looks seriousyou may need GPsadvice .and or trichologist.

Rowsie Fri 12-Feb-21 16:07:53

Maybe the central heating is having an affect on the dryness. I hate what lockdown is doing to our hair. Last year I went through stages of looking like Bernie Ecclestone, Trump and Camilla Parker Bowles before I was allowed to have a haircut again! This time I have actually bought some hairdressing scissors but am too nervous to use them as yet!

Lettice Fri 12-Feb-21 15:47:07

The only times my hair got tangled and fuzzy at the back like that was after indulging in some rather vigorous sex. Urmstongran, could this be the issue ? lol

grannygranby Fri 12-Feb-21 15:35:33

deciem.com/brand/hif?gclid=CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253W7ATBPauPnR9_bvcDBEHplpr-O1HEHA8nH5OcWwEowx6HPwC49EcWBoC5oEQAvD_BwE

grannygranby Fri 12-Feb-21 15:31:36

Well, if you can find it, wash your hair in HIF ( hair is fabric) not cheap but has made my hair which was getting like candyfloss into proper hair with curls and weight. I used to kept it short because of its poor condition and now at last I can let it grow and it’s great. My daughter buys it for my birthday and Christmas, it lasts a long time but is about £30 a tube. I’ll find a link if I can

Harmonypuss Fri 12-Feb-21 15:26:42

Try only washing your hair once a week and use a good conditioning mask, these are a quick, temporary fix.

Also take a Biotin supplement, it helps your hair and nails, it'll take a couple of months to see real changes but it'll have longer term results.

Nitpick48 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:08:22

You don’t actually need shampoo when you wash your hair, just wash it with conditioner. Try it!

theprovinciallady Fri 12-Feb-21 15:04:23

just chiming in to say Good Housekeeping did a test on hair supplements recently so you could google that if you were thinking of buying one.

Helenlouise3 Fri 12-Feb-21 14:46:27

Wash you hair with a gentle shampoo, then slather on some coconut/Argan oil. Wrap it in cling film and leave it for a few hours. Never brush your hair when it's wet, always use a comb. Let it dry naturally, not use a hairdryer until the condition improves.

HazelGreen Fri 12-Feb-21 14:22:04

Sorry I have not read thru all pages here. Just thought to post about very dear friend many years ago who attended a consultant over her hair. She was a natural blond but it was very fine. She was rather cross given expense and trouble of seeing him, to be given advice of olive oil as a conditioner and fairy liquid as a shampoo.

Yes definite seasonal shedding of hair and perhaps linked to new growth. But I once had dramatic loss after several of antibiotics.