Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If this were your hair what would you be doing with it? ?

(184 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 18:55:11

My hair has gone so dry and tangled these last few weeks.
OMG ?

I got Himself to take a photo of the back for me just now so I could see it. It feels so dry and tangly and I wanted to see it up close.

The first picture is from the end of October and the second one, just tonight.

No haircut in between & I can’t get to a hairdresser right now. (same for everybody I know)

What do you think I should do?
I’m thinking apply some products. Like Argon oil ? or coconut oil ? and wrap it in a turban to absorb the conditioner. It shocked me to be honest.

Any suggestions please? I’d be grateful.

Liz46 Wed 10-Feb-21 18:57:33

When I was on holiday once my hair started to suffer. A very kind lady gave me some Aussie conditioner and it helped a lot.

Lilypops Wed 10-Feb-21 19:01:38

Just use a good nourishing hair mask UG, that’s all you need to do and it will soon be nice again, don’t panic !!!

FannyCornforth Wed 10-Feb-21 19:08:18

Why / how do you think this has happened?

nadateturbe Wed 10-Feb-21 19:08:29

I'm no expert I'm afraid but I would try an oil treatment and maybe brush it for a few ninutes each day with a good bristle brush.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:13:37

No idea Fanny really. I’ve been run down with a virus (not that one) for six weeks. I’d noticed my hair felt drier, but as I’ve not been going anywhere I just washed it twice a week and pinned it up out of the way. Then last week when brushing it, it felt like a fur ball - all knotted. And today after washing it felt so dry it didn’t even feel like my hair! So I asked Himself to photo it so I could get a proper look and ... panicked!

Casdon Wed 10-Feb-21 19:13:42

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor is really good, it’s a deep conditioner that actually works, on my hair anyway, which is colored, and a similar length to yours.

FlexibleFriend Wed 10-Feb-21 19:13:45

I'd certainly do a coconut oil wrap, probably overnight and maybe repeat in a weeks time and then see if there's any improvement.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:16:48

I will try a hair mask Lillypops - what’s one of those when they’re at home? Will check Sainsbury’s? Boots?

Then continue with ‘Aussie’ conditioner - thanks Liz.

Any hairdressers amongst us?

NotAGran55 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:19:40

The conditioner that Casdon recommends is a good one .
Your hair actually looks shorter now than it did 4 months ago which is strange too ? Mine would have been at least 4cm longer by now .

Are you on Mumsnet by any chance? If so , a post on the S&B forum with a request for a hairdresser to help might be an idea.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:21:44

Thanks Casdon for another recommend for ‘Aussie’. And yes, coconut wrap Flexible - I will try that. My basket at Sainsbury’s will have different hair products.

My hair has never looked so damaged. It’s not as though I’m using hair straighteners etc. in this lockdown.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:24:00

No I’m not on MN NotAGran. But you’re right, it does look shorter! I’ve noticed a lot of hair loss (in my bristle brush) this last month or so. To be honest I was getting worried how much I was shedding.

seacliff Wed 10-Feb-21 19:27:16

It is worth trying the coconut oil, I find it better than most conditioners. I would melt it if solid, and apply liberally to dry hair. Then sleep on it, using an old pillow case. Then light shampoo next day.

If it is due to poor health you might need some extra vitamins?

LadyStardust Wed 10-Feb-21 19:31:28

Do you use a lot of styling products? These can build up on the hair and cause many issues. It can be removed with a clarifying shampoo. Then slather your hair in a deep conditioner, wrap your head in cling film, then a shower cap or turban. Leave for half an hour or so, rinse off and squeeze your hair in a microfibre towel or a cotton t shirt. Don't rub your hair in a towel, it roughens the cuticle. Hair advice is so difficult, as what works for one is another persons nightmare! Hope you find something that works for you soon.

Calendargirl Wed 10-Feb-21 19:32:56

Could you have an underactive thyroid? That can result in hair loss, and you mention having a virus?

Just a thought.

GardenerGran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:36:18

I use a leave in conditioner type stuff that goes on whilst hair is still damp called Living Proof 5 in 1 hair treatment. It’s brilliant stuff and you only need a pea sized amount. Just wash and pop it on. Marvellous stuff.

Madgran77 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:40:05

Imedeen for hair and nails as a supplement

Argan oil or coconut oil

Henna Conditioner (not henna colourant)

All good

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:43:03

So many good tips & advice here ladies, thank you so much. For instance I wouldn’t have thought to put cling film over my hair before wrapping it in a turban.

And yes CalendarGirl I think I will ask the doctor about thyroid function tests. I’ve gained a lot of weight. off to Google symptoms of an under active thyroid now .....

Although that might just be down to greediness.
?

Calendargirl Wed 10-Feb-21 19:46:50

Weight gain is a symptom.

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Feb-21 19:50:01

How tightly do you put it up and what with? I’m sure I read this can possibly damage it, but I am by no means an expert.

NotAGran55 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:53:13

I would show the before and after photos to your GP too , unless they know you very well .

I have a huge mop of hair but lost masses after having both of my sons ... you haven’t got something that you would like share with us smile

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:56:16

Hahaha NotAGran if I had I’d be sharing it with the national press at my age‼️

Ngaio1 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:56:52

I like to apply a conditioning mask or good conditioner and leave it in overnight. You will need an old pillowcase on your pillow and be able to put of with remarks such as "Hello Medusa" when you comb it through but it seems to work very well.

J52 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:57:00

Like others have said Moroccan Argan oil Mask from Superdrug. Massage into your hair and leave overnight. Gentle hydrating shampoo and conditioner such as Faith in Nature Coconut, Holland and Barrat.
Don’t rub after washing, Pat excess water out. Then with your hands rub through with Argan oil hair treatment, very small amount, from boots. Comb through with a wide tooth comb. Air dry until almost damp then gentle styling with the dryer.
Hair and mail supplements will help, but need several moths to really make a difference.
Also have a blood test.

J52 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:58:19

Hair and nail* no moths involved but months!