Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

History lessons

(34 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 21-Feb-21 19:18:06

When I was at school and chose my options, I gave up history. I have no knowledge of kings and queens and yet I am a royalist. I am a huge fan of the Queen. I can never answer those questions on The Chase about kings and queens and wives of times past. I would love to study and learn. But where to start? Any suggestions? Thanks

suziewoozie Mon 22-Feb-21 11:54:21

The most important issue to address if anyone is really serious about history is ‘what’s the source of that information, who wrote it, why, is it credible, are there other sources which contradict it ?

silverlining48 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:11:51

LI had a very basic education leaving school at 15. In my thirties I started reading Jean Plaidy. She wrote many easy to read, but historically accurate, books, many relating to different monarchs over the centuries.
She might be out of print now, but this started me off and i later took A level History, but like another poster, my main interest now is social history. Go for it, it’s fascinating.

Fennel Mon 22-Feb-21 12:31:06

The BBC has made many interesting historical series .
My recent favourite was Neil Oliver on Vikings.
From which I worked out my paternal family could be descended from King Canute!
History was my favourite subject at school.

annodomini Mon 22-Feb-21 12:40:02

When I was at school, history was linear, starting with King Alfred, ending with the present day. In Sixth form we could choose a period and for the European paper I chose Greek and Roman. Nowadays children do 'topics', so my GSs know all about the Vikings but don't know what happened in 1815.

Redhead56 Mon 22-Feb-21 13:19:01

Wikipedia is a good source of information regarding Royalty. Historic.uk.com interesting info about The Highland Clearances. BBC Bitesize is very good for any subject.
The history lessons I had at school were repetitive we were never taught modern history. I started to study as an adult I did a degree and have other qualifications at 64 I am still studying it's addictive.
It has been mentioned Future Learn is a very good site. I have done numerous courses so very interesting it's kept me occuppied especially this last year. History is a wonderful subject and it's what makes us who we are today.

Alexa Mon 22-Feb-21 13:21:37

Oh yes! Bitesize is uniformly informative and entertaining whatever the topic.

Alexa Mon 22-Feb-21 13:30:19

I had to try for a credit in School certificate. I had to do 19th century. 1815 Congress of Vienna I think (!)when Europe was divided up after the Napoleonic Wars. Political history was very boring for me and most learning was by rote so I remember only two very odd facts that might come in handy if |I am ever on Mastermind. Treaty of Unkiar Skelessi 1833 anyone? I thought not.

Foxglove77 Thu 25-Feb-21 13:22:26

Some constructive ideas here, so thank you. The Dorling Kindersley books are fabulous so will see if they do one on Kings and Queens. I can combine my learning with my grand daughter.