Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do any of you play the stock market? ?

(74 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 19:49:06

I’ve never had spare money to invest in shares. To be honest I don’t really understand how it works.

I know there’s high, medium or low risk and I suppose a stockbroker does the leg work for a fee. I also know that shares can go down as well as up. I suppose it must be a bit like gambling. Don’t play with what you can’t afford to lose?

Any grans a whizz at this - or any with burned fingers?

Blossoming Thu 04-Mar-21 19:45:33

Some of my pension pot is invested in stocks as are a couple of ISAs. My financial adviser handles the details though, so I can’t say I play the markets. It isn’t a large proportion of my pension savings.

Msida Fri 05-Mar-21 19:21:39

Sometimes I just need a cuddle It's so hard to live without a loving cuddle It actually feels like pain so it must be bad for your health

Timathy Mon 14-Feb-22 00:13:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

M0nica Mon 14-Feb-22 13:05:36

DH inherited shares from an aunt who invested in the shares. They had fascinated her, ever since she learnt the basics in maths lessons at school, and when her first husband died and left her a house and a little nest egg, she began dabbling, buying, small quantities, with no more advice than the business pages of the Daily Telegraph.

She probably only ever made a couple of purchase/sell decisions a year and once she had made what was proving a good investment, she just brought more. She died in the mid 1990s, a wealthy woman and her estate was worth over half a million. Most went to charity bu DH got some shares.

He started investing in penny shares, a couple of hundred pounds at a time and did well on some, lost on others.

In my last job I got profit related pay each year in the form of shares in the company and I too bought a few shares here and there, but have done best with my employers shares.

The basic rules, apart from not investing more in one share than you can afford to lose, are to invest in shares in companies whose industries you understand. Do not invest in high tech unless you really understand the industry and who the main players are. The same would apply to more mundane industries like food production as well. Do not respond to salesmen with a good line in patter, never ever buy anything from anyone who cold calls you with a wonderful investment

Read the business pages in your daily paper assiduously and keep an eye on international affairs. For example, personally I would be wary about buying shares in a company, even a UK company, heavily invested in Ukraine at present !!

A lot of it is common sense and remember the bigger the return, the bigger the risk. You get owt for nought and that especally applies to stocks and shares.

Apart from that, tuck everything, or as much as you can into ISAs and always set a small sum aside for playing ducks and drakes with. Most of those ugly ducklings will sink without trace, but some will turn into beautiful swans.

MayBeMaw Mon 14-Feb-22 13:10:04

Msida

Sometimes I just need a cuddle It's so hard to live without a loving cuddle It actually feels like pain so it must be bad for your health

Stock Market?
confusedconfusedShares?

karmalady Mon 14-Feb-22 13:19:53

I never `played` the stock market, I went to TA (technical analysis) courses in london. I read graphs, had 3 screens and based decisions purely on the graphs. There is a lot to learn and women are often better than men. I did well, managed my husbands company pension. Buy low sell high. Only ever use money that you can afford to lose

I don`t `do` the stock market any more, it is about risk/reward and at my age, I need to minimise risk now

Teacheranne Mon 14-Feb-22 16:53:59

Smileless2012

We also have investment ISA's and our pensions are managed by an investment company.

We had to complete a questionnaire to see whether or not we liked risk. We came out as cautious but only I think because there wasn't an extremely cautious or cowardly alternative!!

My risk level is “ prefer to keep under mattress,”

Smileless2012 Mon 14-Feb-22 16:56:37

Ours too Teacheranne but for some reason, that wasn't an option!!

M0nica Tue 15-Feb-22 09:13:20

Anyone who 'plays' the stockmarket, deserves the to lose the money they lose.

Investing in the stockmarket with knowledge and a good spread of shares is a better way of getting a good return and capital growth than almost any other form of investment. Especially when interest rates aare so low.

Like anything in life from brain surgery to installing a washing machine, you need to know what you are doing.

fasderasd Wed 16-Feb-22 12:28:21

janellaphett Thu 10-Mar-22 10:33:26

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Mar-22 10:47:45

Any thread seems to bring out the spammers doesn’t it?

Kim19 Thu 10-Mar-22 12:26:00

I used to 'play', Monica, and sometimes I did indeed lose but I don't necessarily think I deserved to even any more than I did when I won. Just a bit of fun and mental stimulus for me at the time. I only do safe nowadays. Think my Mum would say I've matured at last!

harrigran Fri 11-Mar-22 08:46:56

I have never invested in shares myself but have just inherited DH's private pension. I do not need this to live on and will be leaving it to DS and DD. I have had lengthy discussions with my financial advisor and have just changed the management company. I take less risks than DH would have but I am happy with the results.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Mar-22 09:07:05

This thread makes me realise how far away I am from most gransnetters who seem in a far different economical world to me perhaps why I ve never felt I fit in

Jessi Mon 06-Feb-23 05:57:25

BlueBelle Mon 06-Feb-23 06:14:34

I wonder why you have resurrected a year old thread Jessi why not start a new one

fancythat Mon 06-Feb-23 06:17:20

It is spam I think.

Norah Mon 06-Feb-23 17:03:12

I do, suits me.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 17:15:16

No, I have an aversion to gambling.

PerkyPiggy Mon 06-Feb-23 17:15:40

We recently sold a property and have a portfolio of investments that are managed by a Wealth Management company. We have a 5 to 10 year strategy. It's early days so fingers crossed.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 17:20:37

Teacheranne

Smileless2012

We also have investment ISA's and our pensions are managed by an investment company.

We had to complete a questionnaire to see whether or not we liked risk. We came out as cautious but only I think because there wasn't an extremely cautious or cowardly alternative!!

My risk level is “ prefer to keep under mattress,”

Oh that made me laugh smile same here.

crazyH Mon 06-Feb-23 17:26:29

For those who are interested, the Coventry BS has introduced a 1 year Fixed Bond, paying 4% interest pa, which is not too bad .