Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Duke of Edinburgh.

(79 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:38:23

I've just read on Al Jazeera website, an article about the dreadful racism of Philip,.He doesn't try to offend, he IS offensive etc,giving many examples.
We have heard all this before and sometimes excused it as his sense of humour or his age.
In a way it's lucky he's out of the picture at the moment with allthats going on!

Anniebach Fri 12-Mar-21 14:53:49

He has a right on every issue

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 14:55:53

suziewoozie Actually I wouldn't. I would be hellbent on finding out why the person was allowed to be in a situation where they could commit the crime, because finding and stopping the pathway that took the assailant there is more important than the weapon. He could just as easily have used a knife or a flame thrower or all kinds of other weapons.

Obviously considerations about the availability of the weapon would form part of the enquiry, but the main enquiry I would want would be into how the assailant was able to plan something like this and be able to do it.

When the Aberfan disaster happened, people didn't go round blaming the coal tip for slipping. They did the enquiry into why the coal tip was ever put there in the first place and what was the decision making process and what were the failures in everything that led up to the slip.

If it was my child in such an incident that is the enquiry I would want, knee jerk actions and political actions that read well with the voters are often window dressing for a total failure to deal with the root cause of events.

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 14:59:52

M0nica. You are being completely ridiculous. The man in Dunblane shot 16 innocent children one after another, some of them as they were trying to crawl away. And killed their teacher who was trying to protect them. The whole argument about its not guns that kill people, its people that kill people is just so wrong.

The root cause was that the guy was a nutter and had access to weapons that could kill little children on an industrial scale. End of.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Mar-21 15:02:26

We all have the right to form our own opinions, and if asked to give them.

Not sure if it’s the time to pile-on a very sick 99yr old man who is entering his 5th week in hospital.

Redhead56 Fri 12-Mar-21 15:19:41

I don't like racism I have been on the receiving end of racism in my job as a young woman. Also from some of my husbands family because I am not their race my MIL accepted me so that's all that mattered to me.
Know one no matter who they are should make racist remarks. Prince Philip should know better maybe he should take lessons from his GS William a credit to the RF.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 15:28:33

What was his opinion?

Was it recorded verbatim or reported? and who by?

There seems to be quite a lot of difference between the two so I’d want to know what was actually said and in what context.

Kamiso Fri 12-Mar-21 15:32:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 15:35:00

Are yes Redhead but look at how William’s remarks of yesterday have been reported.

Have you spoken to your brother

Not yet, but I will.

Reported: William blasts back, He admitted has not even spoken to his brother yet. Insiders claim they have not spoken for months. The frustration in his face (covered by a mask incidentally) was clear.

You can’t trust press accounts of anything

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 15:36:45

Nor, I’m sad to say, a lot of what’s posted on Gransnet.

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 15:37:19

Alegrias that is actually what I said, but to just deal with the gun end of it, doesn't stop it happening again with a different weapon. A knapsack bomb in the same situation would probably kill more children and teachers than a gun can.

The 'nutter' who committed this outrage was out to kill, and presumably, children and teachers made an easy target. if he had not used a gun, he may well have used another weapon. It could just as easily have been a home made bomb.

The first and most important thing to do is find out how the 'nutter' came to be free to go to the school and to do what he did and make sure that no-one else like him is allowed to wander free and commit another such rampage.

Then you look at the availability of the chosen murder weapon and may well pass measures to make them less easily available, but 'nutters' ind suitable 'weapons' if they want some. I have yet to hear of a gun looking for someone to use it to kill someone.

Justwidowed Fri 12-Mar-21 15:40:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anniebach Fri 12-Mar-21 15:41:45

MOnica , as one of the people of Aberfan , thank you

Justwidowed Fri 12-Mar-21 15:42:10

Sorry wrong thread

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 15:44:13

Just plain wrong, I’m afraid.

NellG Fri 12-Mar-21 15:45:57

I honestly could not make this thread up!

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 15:56:07

I shouldn't have used the word "nutter" I know that's offensive to many and its not the kind of word I would usually use, so I apologise.

The rest of it, I don't apologise for. He was able to do it because he had access to guns. That's it.

I don't know how you identify "someone like him". Someone who snaps and murders 16 children in 4 minutes.

nadateturbe Fri 12-Mar-21 15:56:19

Alegrias1 makes a great stooge for Kirkcubbins angry personality.
A bit rude imo.

Having said that I think this thread is in very poor taste.

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 15:57:50

Och, I'm just ignoring that bit nadataturbe

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 16:06:13

The start of the thread was enough for me !

Galaxy Fri 12-Mar-21 16:10:50

Ha I am going to try to be more Alegrias, I would definitely have reacted to that.

lemongrove Fri 12-Mar-21 16:11:56

Monica and many others are spot on in my view, but if other posters want to continue with angry rants about the Duke, have at it.I really think the pandemic is affecting anger levels to an amazing degree.
The thread is in poor taste mind you, with a 99 year old Royal in hospital.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 16:13:54

Oh wel Alegrias. I don’t expect anyone’s going to splash your slip up all over the press and drag it up again in fifty years time.

So I guess realising you’ve made a bit of a gaffe is enough and we mustn’t hold it against you.

Unless, of course, you report me for a personal remark.

Oh the irony.

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Mar-21 16:21:24

Here I am again - I didn't mention any Dukes, only child murderers....

And its not the pandemic that's making me angry, its the 25th anniversary tomorrow that's doing that.

If anyone brings up my gaffe in 50 years I can guarantee I won't care about it, I'll be too busy polishing my "World's Oldest Person" trophy. smile

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 16:26:00

Just saying that the best of us sometimes make unwise remarks. Not everybody has live with being dragged up over and over again.

Mollygo Fri 12-Mar-21 16:27:51

Lemongrove, I agree the thread is in poor taste. However, posters do want to carry on with angry rants about the Duke. Some of his comments were unacceptable at the time and are even more so now, but what does ranting about the words of a 99 year old man achieve?

I do wonder how many posters have never done/said anything in the past which they would prefer not to post for others to publicly pick over until the end of their lives? Reminds me of speck and beam.