Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who constantly brag

(103 Posts)
Madwoman11 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:47:26

This is not a major problem but it is becoming slightly annoying.
Someone I cannot avoid just goes on and on about what she is buying for the home, and for herself. Always top of the range things, and this is her whole conversation.
I can't avoid this person, but I am very close to saying something along the lines of " I'm not interested how much your new sofa or car cost, and I'm not impressed by peoples possessions". Or perhaps I should just yawn and say "Really "
Btw I aren't jealous I am financially secure, and have a lovely home myself.

instagran Sat 17-Apr-21 21:31:25

At a hobby group some years ago was a woman who would regale the group with news about what she'd bought in River Island sale:
"This lovely blue skirt, it was only £59 so I bought four" was a frequent typical mantra.
I once said "they must have seen you coming!"
What I wanted to ask was were her family very poor as she was growing up?

Jane43 Sat 17-Apr-21 14:09:09

Santana how terrible for you, I don't blame you not speaking to her again. I hope you are doing well now. Just before I had my lumpectomy op my sister-in-law said she hoped I’d get through it but she is renowned for saying the wrong thing so it didn’t bother me too much. Bragging is one of my pet hates and thankfully I haven't had to put up with it much but a member of our extended family is a culprit. The first time our daughter-in-law visited her with us when we came out of the house my DIL said it’s a wonder she doesn't have price tags on everything in the house.

felice Sat 17-Apr-21 13:10:15

Nightsky, I probably did not make it clear, their bragging is about my level of intelligence, 'just a cook'.
Comments about education will be rife, questions like, what school did you go to,(Grammar )° why did you not do your Highers, couldn't your family afford to educate you properly, I went to such and such a school, etc.
I am not bragging about my education to them but am proud of it, and the fact that they work in the typing pool or do not work at all, and are being nasty about my family and education I think is worth replying to.

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:33:12

Good one senryu. My prob is I can never think quick enough. I tend to just back off people like that and avoid them. Could say, our other house is bigger but I can’t be bothered.

senryu Sat 17-Apr-21 10:13:51

A UK visitor commenting on how small the houses were, too close together and built on tiny plots of land. It took 2 hours to drive around the perimeter of their land.
The response: I had a car like that.

Shropshirelass Fri 16-Apr-21 22:29:54

I have found that people who brag usually have nothing to brag about, they are unhappy with themselves and seek to surround themselves with material possessions. Things do not make you happy, people do. She is probably jealous of you and your life and is trying to compete in her own strange way, so sad.

rafichagran Fri 16-Apr-21 19:52:29

I cant say I care, people telling me what they buy does not bother me, at worst I find it boring.

V3ra Fri 16-Apr-21 19:33:47

Someone my husband knows had told him how much their new pillows had cost. He was horrified at the amount and told me.
I shrugged and said ours had cost more...he hadn't known. He was even more horrified ?

timetogo2016 Fri 16-Apr-21 17:22:17

My sister was the same until she lost everything,i can`t go into why tbf.
But she had the cheek to ask me for £1000 to pay for her bills.
Suffice as to say i said no,you should have been saving for a rainy day instead of spending so much on everything under the sun in the past.
4 holidays abroad,new cars,stupidly priced clothes,Italian dining table/chairswhich the children were not allowed to sit at.

I can`t repeat her comeback.

Puzzled Fri 16-Apr-21 17:10:03

At work we had at least two folk who had started the school for skiing up the north face of the Eiger.
One of our colleagues told me "X is an excellent Engineer. He has told me so many times"
Really they are insecure, and need to reinforce themselves.
Funnily, when things got tough, he wan't the one chosen to sort the problem!

B i L spent years boasting of his, his children's and Grandchildren's achievements. Until one day, I finally lost patience, and told him what we had both had succeeded in doing in our careers. He has been pretty quiet since!

Or you could try playing along, and say something to the effect of "Marvellous! Do tell me more" Eventually they will cotton on that you are pulling their leg.

Hawera1 Thu 15-Apr-21 21:46:19

Next time when she says how much something was take the wind out of her sails by saying the following. Gosh you've been had I saw that actual item advertised so much cheaper elsewhere. Shame you had to waste all that money.

tictacnana Thu 15-Apr-21 19:39:33

My siblings are like that. They used to brag endlessly about their possessions and cars and holidays. As a single parent I had little money to spare but took great pride in my children and what I knew they would achieve. My siblings couldn’t believe it when both my children achieved top class degrees that secured their futures. Their disbelief stemmed from the fact that I couldn’t afford the latest style of kitchen or a humongous TV . I chose what was important and I’m proud of that ... ( and DO brag a little bit if I’m allowed ! )

Elvis58 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:07:42

I had a friend like that,l felt sorry for her as it was obvious she had nothing else to fill her life.

ToniSH Thu 15-Apr-21 17:38:01

"Yes, you said", is usually my go-to.
It conveys a slight sense of boredom without being rude, and sometimes even stops the person from repeating themselves.

helgawills Thu 15-Apr-21 16:55:20

Those poor people, how low must they feel if they need to be defined by possession? I can't even understand people, who define themselves by things they have no control over, like the accident of where they were born.
Anyway, how much longer can this planet support people, who just buy stuff, go on cruises, etc. Humanity uses the resources of 1.7 planets every year.
We need to show more compassion, try and engage with culture and try and understand and support each other.
The greatest satisfaction comes from helping children learn to understand the world around them, and how they can achieve things, like growing plants, creating art or music.

albertina Thu 15-Apr-21 16:34:22

My late mother in law was one for bragging. She used to leave price tags on gifts for me and her Grandchildren and boast about it to anyone who would listen. Fair dos they were expensive gifts, but my children would have far preferred some of her time which she never gave them.

Skydancer Thu 15-Apr-21 16:15:53

I have relatives who constantly brag. I make comments like how we should all try to be more ethical in our lifestyles. It throws them a bit because consumption is all they understand.
I agree about stupid designer labels. It's far cheaper to get a T-shirt printed saying Look At Me. Then people would, which is exactly what they're trying to achieve but would cost far less.

Daisend1 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:40:54

EllanVannin
Excessive spending certainly revs up my emotions and has me in 'tears' as to what justifies all that money sad I have spent on 'A' handbag??

ayokunmi1 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:10:03

Always remind them what about the giving .Its all well and good the getting but do they give..even if its of their time.

sandelf Thu 15-Apr-21 14:20:44

Is it bragging or is she just telling you about what is occupying her mind at the moment. I think a quick That's nice, and onto something else. Just don't show too much interest.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 15-Apr-21 14:17:12

Used to work with someone like this, I found it quite amusing as in the end we used to count down and say here she comes within seconds she would be off, I bought so n so today all very expensive items, then straight after that it would be next week I’m going to such and such, this went on for years, but we did notice people would walk away as she approached, she did look down on people though, not a nice trait to have

Lorelei Thu 15-Apr-21 14:00:19

Maybe the person has bought so much bragging stuff they are piling up bags of stuff - like a well-to-do hoarder! You say you can't avoid the person, so presumably a friend, relative or neighbour - I'd be inclined to say ignore them, change the subject where you can, or find a semi-polite way to say you have other interests than the purchases of people you know and would rather talk about life, the universe etc - others have given some good potential reasons for that type of behaviour and advice on how to deal with it - good luck

justwokeup Thu 15-Apr-21 13:48:33

You say you have a nice house - perhaps she feels she has to compete. Antonia, I think, has hit the nail on the head - it might be worth putting up with, unless you just want to talk about the weather!

jaylucy Thu 15-Apr-21 13:12:08

I just feel quite sorry for them - they have so little self confidence that they think by "impressing " you with the info about their latest purchases you will realise that they are a person that is very much worth being friends with!
It often stems from their childhood and a mother that was either a snob or because their was very little money in the household, bragging about everything confirms that they can afford everything that you may not be able to!
I find the words "that's nice" a la Mrs Brown usually works or just changing the subject.

FarawayGran Thu 15-Apr-21 13:09:06

I was at a concert with someone I didn't know very well
During the break she remarked that she didn't care for Classicfm - too many adverts and it was a bit "Low brow"
Then she asked me how many people were in my team at work.
I said "no-one, I am just a minion"
I never saw her again