Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

With all the discussions about noisy neighbours,

(56 Posts)
Lollin Mon 03-May-21 20:19:50

Why do current gardening programmes insist on encouraging things like building garden bars?

And house programmes encourage televisions on walls which are on the party wall and hot tubs etc?

Okay if you don’t live in the standard homes in UK. Moan over.

jaylucy Wed 05-May-21 11:57:22

After over 2 years of tolerating my neighbour's diy just about every week and weekend, last week I finally had had enough when the drilling they were doing (I live in a semi) sounded as if they were trying to come right through the wall! My pictures were vibrating on the walls and I could even feel vibration along the floor.
I knocked on their door and asked them if they were trying to enlarge their house to move into mine and pointed out that the noise from their almost constant drilling and hammering went above and beyond the fact that I had said that they were ok to make a bit of noise when they first moved in!
I have just had the most peaceful weekend since they moved in but just have to wonder how long it will last!

moorlikeit Wed 05-May-21 12:06:47

Lollin, my thoughts exactly. A garden should not be an "outside room" - that is a recipe for more anger, frustration and mental ill health. I am often thankful for our more miserable weather that keeps people inside and my garden, the tranquil sanctuary that it should be. Consideration for other people seems to be the last thing on many people's minds in these noisy times.
Is anyone here worried about the effect drone deliveries will have on the quiet enjoyment of our homes?

Redhead56 Wed 05-May-21 12:10:53

I agree Purplepixie I can’t understand paving over back gardens as I love trees shrubs flowers and wild life. I have my veg patch which I adore working on it’s raised beds.

Our neighbours are ok different ages some have hot tubs I think this craze is horrid personally. I don’t like footballs bashing against a fence though. My garden is lovely to potter in with little sitting areas for lunch a drink and bird watching. I like hearing people enjoying themselves nice weather helps too.

It was nice to hear the children in the school field when they finally returned. It reminded me of my two when they were little attending the same school.

Jane43 Wed 05-May-21 12:19:57

Our house is situated in the middle of a row of three detached houses. The young couple to the one side started a child minding business three years ago after her maternity leave for her first child came to an end. They converted their garage into a play room and have a play house, slide etc in the back garden. We did wonder at first what impact it would have on us but she is only allowed to have two children at the most and most days she only has one plus her own two children. DH said the other day that he loves to hear the children playing when they are in the garden and I agree with him. They are a lovely family and we hope they stay for years. The houses in this development are about 20 years old and most people seem to be around our age or in their fifties so there aren’t many children, just visiting grandchildren. We did consider a new build when we moved here 8 years ago but I’m glad we didn’t as there do seem to be more problems with large new build developments, daughter-in-law works for an estate agent and warned us against a new build on a large development.

nipsmum Wed 05-May-21 12:28:23

I think if you live in rented accommodation you have to learn tolerance to neighbours. Most people don't live silent !Ives and noise is part of everyday life. I am not being flippant I lived for 17 years in a rented flat surrounded by the neighbours from hell.

4allweknow Wed 05-May-21 12:33:56

Can't understand this current fashion of bars in gardens. Think it says a lot about the mentality of some people in that they need an area to consume alcohol. Hot tubs are fine as long as they are not a party venue. Some houses beside me have them but they are discreet, a couple are sunk into the ground. If maintained properly there are no health issues. As for paving gardens all over front or back, this should be banned, just horrible.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 05-May-21 12:57:33

Paperbackwriter

I don't understand the craze for hot tubs. I'm not over-picky, hygiene-wise generally, but aren't those tubs just a pool of fermenting bugs? I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't want to get in one!

I agree,I read recently on some health page that hot tubs have about a tablespoon of faeces floating about in them, even with filters,
I’m afraid I think they’re horribly naff anyway, along with garden bars and plastic grass.

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 05-May-21 13:20:53

Oh I play the bagpipes ?

I could very easily get right up my neighbours noses but, being a thoughtful chap, I take myself off to the woods and fields, only about ten minutes walk away, where my tunes are far less disruptive and only disturb the dog walkers who, almost to a person, love them and think they cheer upon their own walks.

Whilst dead easy to do, Consideration and thoughtfulness is about as common as common sense!!

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 13:29:12

We rarely see our neighbours because of all the trees but hear the young man next door from time to time with his homemade knife honing. We have a pool but it is just us two now and we only swim up and down in the hot weather. Being as we don’t get much hot weather these days because of global cooling, it doesn’t apply. Haven’t had a decent Summer in years.

Ngaio1 Wed 05-May-21 13:39:27

3Nanny6. If I were your daughter, I would be more than tempted to put large and heavy flower pots on my parking space!

Azalea99 Wed 05-May-21 14:06:56

@3nanny6. I fully agree with you.
Furthermore, I’d be inclined to park across the back of her car, but suspect your daughter would be unhappy about it.
As for people not wanting the garden to be an outside room, I’m afraid I disagree - woe betide anyone who dares to throw a cigarette butt onto my garden. It is to be treated with just as much respect as my house, & is the ‘room’ upon which I lavish the most love, thought & time. ?. (As you can probably tell I’m also incredibly lucky to have very considerate neighbours so don’t have to hide away indoors)
Just seen Ngaiol’s post - brilliant idea! … and nicer than mine!

GreenGran78 Wed 05-May-21 14:29:52

Parking places on the road outside houses are just that. They do not belong to a particular house, even though many people behave very possessively about them.
If someone is blocking your driveway it’s a different matter. My next door neighbour doesn’t have a car, and is perfectly happy for someone else to park ‘in her space.’ If she has a visitor they just find a nearby spot.
Many families, these days, own several cars, which can cause parking problems. People should just try to be as considerate as possible.

GreenGran78 Wed 05-May-21 14:32:05

Sorry. My comment was addressed to 3nanny6

MerylStreep Wed 05-May-21 14:46:24

GreenGran78
I have one of ‘those’ neighbours. I don’t know how many times I’ve told her she has no ‘right’ to park outside her house.
She has even been known to confront people who do.

jocork Wed 05-May-21 15:54:02

Try living in a road by a school! I came home today to find the only space was at the far end of the road so I duly parked there and carried my shopping bags back to my house. As I did so the car parked outside my house departed, so having dropped the shopping inside I moved the car to avoid that 'Where's my car? Has it been stolen?' feeling the next day. If I come home between 3pm and 4pm I know there will be nowhere to park but I wasn't expecting it at 1pm.

Apart from the school parking shenanigans I'm lucky to have good neighbours who are mostly fairly quiet. The occasional football over the fence from the next door boys doesn't bother me much. At our previous house we had neighbours who wouldn't let our son have his back 'until later when I have time' despite the fact that their boys used to kick a ball over our way regularly when younger. I just left the gate unlocked and said come round and get it if it comes over, don't bother to ring the bell to ask!

Being neighbourly is about give and take and consideration isn't difficult but some people don't seem to be considerate at all. I think myself very lucky at present. Next door is currently 'For Sale' though so I hope the next neighbours are as amenable. Previous next door neighbours the other side used to have noisy parties and the wife had a very loud cackling laugh, but it wasn't too often and I just used to turn the TV up to drown out the noise. Other than those odd occasions they were great neighbours!

GrannyHaggis Wed 05-May-21 17:08:57

One of our neighbours has just offered the room above his garage to a band to use for practice sessions. This morning the drummer was there for over an hour. I didn't make a fuss, as it was the first time, but if it carries on I shall be knocking on neighbour's door. No doubt we shall have the other musicians turning up at some point. I tried sitting in the garden, but the noise was too much. It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd come and told us what he was doing, but not a cheep! Needless to say, the garage is some distance form his house and the windows face the other way....towards us!!

3nanny6 Wed 05-May-21 17:41:10

Thank-you for some nice replies and sensible ones at that.

Ngaiol ; that is a good idea and I would buy the largest flower pots I could buy and have them planted up and put at my DDs house if I could get her to agree. As for the friend of the nextdoor neighbour parking right out-side of my daughters front door I thought it really rude considering their was space on the other side which they had put cones on in wait for the neighbours partner to come home from work.

Azalea99 Your idea is good as well and once the neighbours own mother parked in the same place and I parked across the back of her car my daughter said I should park in another spot but the women came out and wanted to go so when she went I parked in the space.

GreenGran78: yes you are correct that spaces on the road can be used by anyone and no one has the right to tell you to move.
In my daughters case these are quite new build and not even on the road way. The houses are built in an area where there are spaces directly outside the front of your own home, and there are some other spaces over to the back because as you say some families do have 2 cars . Like I said the neighbours did not ask if it was okay for anyone to use her space directly in front of her home they just do it and on occasions have even put the big football net out the front by my DDs kitchen window and proceeded to kick the football
which at times hit my daughters window, until I went out and moved the football frame and net myself and told them keep it in your own area.
Some people are just inconsiderate and do not care although I am well able for most but once again it is not my house but my daughters.

ILE35 Wed 05-May-21 18:03:58

Well I bought one of those “tacky” hot tubs last year to see us through lockdown since we couldn’t go anywhere except our gardens, no hols etc and I love it! And I’m waiting on half my garden getting paved over with a bit more privacy added this year so I can set it up nicer and get back out in it. I’m not noisy though and don’t have parties. I go out normally an hour before sunset when all my solar lights are starting to come on and lie with low music on, a glass of wine or a large jug of water and watch the sky, absolute bliss. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. The sleep it gives me is unreal. There are germs everywhere and as long as you keep your chemical levels balanced and clean them regularly they’re no worse than going to a swimming pool. It’s not killed us yet! My paved area will get spruced up with pots n plants. My neighbour doesn’t like me anyway and it wouldn’t matter if I was sitting knitting in my garden, pottering away with plants or indulging in my tack she talks about me regardless lol ?

Chapeau Wed 05-May-21 23:11:50

Septimia I have midges the size of jumbo jets so I use Avon Skin so Soft as a repellent. Fantastic stuff. I gather it's popular with Canadian lumberjacks grin.

Loislovesstewie Thu 06-May-21 05:40:50

My backyard is paved because I don't have what you would think of as a garden. It is just a backyard;however it does have a huge number of pot plants with shrubs and trees as well as flowers, so I think it would give some gardens a run for its money. We can sit out in it and still attract birds, bees and butterflies in large numbers. No hot tub, but it's still a pleasant place to be IF the weather warms up!

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-May-21 08:09:50

3nanny6 - I’m slightly confused- Is this car-parking piece of land on your daughter’s deeds as her own or is it a communal area outside (say) a row of front doors?

Lollin Thu 06-May-21 08:38:41

notspaghetti it sounds to me like specific allocated parking area/bay which is stated in the sale of some homes and therefore the deeds. It is quite common for some new builds but when I say new builds it has been common for some homes for at least 30 years from what I have noticed. 3nanny6 may however tell me in this instance I have it wrong.

biglouis Thu 06-May-21 09:43:50

I have elderly neighbours who go to bed at 9pm and get up at 6am. Thats their privilege but they somehow expect the neighbourhood to creep around so as not to disturb them.

When I first moved here I was renting the house and the neighbour told me off over the fence for putting "noisy" rubbish in the bin outside at 10 pm because it disturbed them. Another time she whinged because my friend took up "her" parking place outside her house and woke them when she left at 11pm.

I told her these are normal household noises so you will have to get used to them or get earplugs. I was still renting at that time so she snitched to my landlord. Landlord said "These are private matters between you and none of my concern. I dont like tattle tales."

I bought the house when my LL went abroad and now we rarely speak. I have cctv so I can see its her at the door and I dont open it. As for going to bed at 9pm, there are tenants in the HMO nearby who have car alarms going off at midnight but I doubt she has the nerve to say anything to them.

I hate bloody neighbours!

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-May-21 10:30:05

I’m only asking, Lollin as when my son moved into a new build with an allotted space (it was on record as his) he did look at one where there was an obvious parking spot outside his front door which was actually a “free for all” even though it at first glance seemed to belong to the property. This other property was entirely paved across the front doors of the short terrace with a sort-of footpath delineated in the block paving so you didn’t park right up to the house doors.. The paving was in addition to the actual road. It was designed so that the cars drove forward towards the properties but could actually fit more cars than houses (because of the width of a house).

3nanny6 Thu 06-May-21 13:26:29

NotSpaghetti : and Lollin. I will try to make it clearer as it can be confusing.
Firstly my DD does not own the property as she is not in a position where she can afford to be on the property ladder.

The homes were built for the purpose called the Regeneration Scheme through the areas affordable homes for everyone. The area has a long waiting list for affordable homes and thankfully she got to the top of the list after a seven year wait.
Where the homes are there are just 8 of them in a line terrace. The actual place was originally council garage site but it was bought and built on. To drive into where her house is you come down a short slip road and you are off any main driving roads. It may sound odd but in there they have made two large areas for large bins and then over by the high fence are some parking spaces and the area that has the electricity fenced off bit.
My daughter's house is an end one and at the side she has the pathway and her entrance to the side gate to her rear garden. There are parking bays at the front of each house but there are no separating bars on these bays which is what my son has at his house which makes it clearer that each bay is for each house. To be honest they are rather nice homes,
there are no front gardens just some square greenery rather small that the landlords planted with a few shrubs and lavender and then of course the part for parking.
It all seemed to be working well in the beginning and whenever I went there I could park outside of my daughters but now the neighbours are parking outside of her home as well as their own and they seem to have a bit of a cheek.
Sorry a bit long but a bit difficult to explain.