Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Present for DiL

(47 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 06-May-21 11:13:53

At the end of the month we are going to stay with my DS and DiL.
We already have something for my DS and the DGC but I would like to take my DiL something nice.
She likes nice things and a plant or flowers are not really enough. They have just moved house and I have got them a general house warming gift but I would like to give her something more personal.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Grandmabatty Thu 06-May-21 11:16:14

A hamper of smelly stuff that she likes? Or a voucher for afternoon tea with champagne? It's difficult when things are only just opening up.

cornishpatsy Thu 06-May-21 11:51:14

Depends on how much you want to spend. A Jo Malone candle is my go to gift or something from Hotel Chocolat.

Lucca Thu 06-May-21 11:53:23

What have you got for DS?

All I would say is don’t choose some kind of ornament for the house. If she doesn’t like it, it will be embarrassing for her.

Does she wear scarves? Earrings?

Hithere Thu 06-May-21 11:55:28

What are her hobbies?

FannyCornforth Thu 06-May-21 11:56:20

Does she collect anything eg Emma Bridgewater?
Do you know her taste?
I like Lucca's ideas (because I like earrings and scarves ?)
A vase maybe?

FannyCornforth Thu 06-May-21 11:58:14

Can you ask your son what she likes?
Is he a reliable source? ?

FannyCornforth Thu 06-May-21 11:59:56

Hope that you are feeling better btw Dragonfly

Doodledog Thu 06-May-21 12:02:15

Without an idea of a budget it is difficult to know what to suggest.

Maybe a voucher for something local? I have been given vouchers for afternoon tea at a local outlet, which were very welcome, and also vouchers to use at my hairdresser. If you can do a bit of research into what is available locally to her, you might find something she would like.

Jaxjacky Thu 06-May-21 12:04:28

Does she garden? I’ve just bought a newly moved friend a gardening journal, you can note what comes up when, planting plans etc. It’s also quite a pretty book.

Blossoming Thu 06-May-21 12:30:02

Spa products.

dragonfly46 Thu 06-May-21 12:39:26

I don't really have a budget. DS's present is an expensive bottle of whiskey I bought for Christmas but couldn't send.

Fanny I am feeling much better thank you.

A vase is a possibility although I thought something more personal. I think she likes essential oils. I have asked my son and he has said he will think about it which probably means he will ask her. That may not be a bad thing as she has particular tastes.

Redhead56 Thu 06-May-21 12:49:02

I ask my son if DIL needs new perfume or makeup I know the brands she uses. I do the same for our SIL it saves them laying out the money and it’s getting them what they like. I did used to buy random presents but prefer something personal now.

Soozikinzi Thu 06-May-21 12:58:15

Those Neom oils are lovely and quite expensive so not something you’d buy for yourself.

annodomini Thu 06-May-21 13:22:39

DS sent me Cowshed toiletries for Mothers' Day. They were new to me and I love them so much I'm paradoxically reluctant to use them up. The fragrances are gorgeous and the body lotion doesn't fade during the day.

Amberone Thu 06-May-21 13:29:51

I wouldn't buy any ornaments unless you know for sure what she likes. Perfume is nice if you know what she uses. Earrings and scarves also, as Lucca said, although it helps if you know what colours she wears.

If she likes spa products and soaking in the bath what about a luxe bathrobe to curl up in. Or an atomiser for her essential oils? You can buy chargeable ones now that she can take in the bathroom for her essential oils.

NotAGran55 Thu 06-May-21 13:36:45

Something from Neals Yard would be my suggestion if she likes essential oils .

Organic , cruelty free and British www.nealsyardremedies.com/about-us/our-brand.list

Purplepixie Thu 06-May-21 13:40:46

How about a gift voucher for a pamper afternoon at a local health spa. Maybe she has some hobbies and get her a gift voucher for Colmans? Try asking your son for some ideas.

timetogo2016 Thu 06-May-21 13:46:41

My Dil`s love Boots vouchers and tend to spend them when they go on holiday.

Amberone Thu 06-May-21 13:49:14

Or something like a slim neck chain in gold or silver, that she can wear everyday. I have a lovely silver one that I only really take off when I want to wear something special for an occasion.

harrigran Fri 07-May-21 07:08:23

When I first went to stay with DD who lives abroad I bought a selection of Molton Brown shower gels, hand-wash, handcreams and candles.

Katyj Fri 07-May-21 08:00:18

If she likes spa products she may like a electric diffuser with a selection of oils. Neom , or the white company both do them.
Does she like bracelets, a nice silver one with a personal charm, or a charm related to a hobby could be good.

dragonfly46 Fri 07-May-21 09:24:20

Thank you ladies - I am going with the Neom oils!

Daisymae Fri 07-May-21 09:31:03

Have you thought about a diffuser that can burn the oils? I had one as a gift last year and I like it a lot!

dragonfly46 Fri 07-May-21 10:56:41

Thank you Daisy I think that is something I will ask her about before I buy one but yes.