Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Present for DiL

(48 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 06-May-21 11:13:53

At the end of the month we are going to stay with my DS and DiL.
We already have something for my DS and the DGC but I would like to take my DiL something nice.
She likes nice things and a plant or flowers are not really enough. They have just moved house and I have got them a general house warming gift but I would like to give her something more personal.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Fleur20 Fri 07-May-21 11:04:45

..or a voucher for a manicure or massage after the stress and hard work of the house move....

Beanie654321 Sun 09-May-21 10:51:24

A bracelet or pendant.

Pippa22 Sun 09-May-21 11:01:55

Personally I find diffusers and scented candles trigger allergic reaction in me. I much prefer to open windows and let in fresh air. Make sure that your DIL is not similarly affected.

Nannashirlz Sun 09-May-21 11:18:44

I buy my daughter inlaw some bath bombs. You can’t get anymore personal than that. Also some candles so she can have some me time. I buy them from a company on amazon bath bombs only cost about 12 pounds in a black box and they are made with sherbutter. Daughter inlaw said that they are better than the well known brand. In fact she likes them that much she asked me to get them for her birthday too. You don’t need to break the bank.

grannyscott Sun 09-May-21 11:30:38

I bought my DIL a pure silk pillowcase from John Lewis and she absolutely loved it. Apparently they are much kinder to your hair as you sleep so you don’t wake up looking like Dennis the Menace.

poshpaws Sun 09-May-21 11:33:47

If you know whether they have a bath or a shower, I strongly recommend bath bombs or bubble bars or shower products from cruelty free brand Lush (they sell via their website as well as high street shops). They're not the cheapest but they're great for your skin and look and smell so great! Or there's the same type of fun but wonderful products also available online from The Yorkshire Soap Company.

Personally, I'd be your devoted slave ever after if you brought some of these to me as a gift!

Corkie91 Sun 09-May-21 11:33:52

Liz Earle products, cannot go wrong so good for skin

rugbymumcumbria Sun 09-May-21 11:42:42

How about some battery powered candles? There are some really nice ones available now, they aren’t cheap, so could be a lovely indulgent gift. As they don’t need a plug socket they can be used in hallways, kitchen shelf, in a bathroom etc. and are safe to leave on.
I wish someone would buy me some!

halfpint1 Sun 09-May-21 11:55:42

Problems can arrive even with 'scented' gifts. People often say they like something even when they can't stand the smell.
Unfortunately that 'smell' can be repeated year in year out in a gift. (Personal experience here)
I now give 'usable' gifts like vouchers or seasonal flower plants as ornaments and things equal 'clutter' to me.

Lettice Sun 09-May-21 13:33:02

I would buy her some beautiful, glamourous nightwear. I know many sleep in practical comfortable tee shirt-type things, but lovely nighties are special.

Hithere Sun 09-May-21 13:36:32

Doesnt glamorous nightwear usually leads to other things?

It is a pretty intimate present and a person would have to be very close to the giver to be comfortable with it

Hithere Sun 09-May-21 13:37:00

Lead, not leads...

sazz1 Sun 09-May-21 13:44:41

For my DIL it would have to be prosseco, gin chocolates and flowers
She's quite minimalist with ornaments, has v sensitive skin so I play safe at Xmas and birthdays

justwokeup Sun 09-May-21 14:08:49

There's been some research recently about burning oils, candles etc causing chest problems. I can't breathe with a popular brand air freshener in the same room and it's available from any supermarket. How about a spa voucher for her and a friend so she can have the oils in the form of a massage? Still I suppose there's been research done somewhere about the adverse effects of everything!

coastalgran Sun 09-May-21 14:43:55

A nice cushion or throw in her colour scheme, a photo frame or a gift voucher for somewhere she likes.

Nanna58 Sun 09-May-21 15:40:49

Another vote for a diffuser or some Neom oils, I got given one a couple of years ago and use it every single day.

Willow500 Sun 09-May-21 16:33:32

I've just bought my DIL a locket for her 50th (with money in a card too) - my son will be able to find suitable photos of their daughters and reduce them enough to fit in it.

Jess20 Sun 09-May-21 17:37:58

My son and also his live-with GF are very sporty so I get them both things like micro-towels and sleeping bags for when they're away competing, also big warm unisex hoodies go down well. I also made rag-rug cushions to use outdoors but they use them in the lounge. She isn't keen on cosmetics or girly things so I try and find things that work with her lifestyle.

Thistlelass Sun 09-May-21 19:41:00

I like when I can to treat my daughter and/or DIL to a little bit of jewellery. I figure they will have it when I am long gone and might pass to grandchildren. Swarowski and Pandora seem to be acceptable to younger people. How thoughtful and kind you are. I love treating people but I don't have the budget to justify.

Hil1910 Sun 09-May-21 21:55:12

A pamper day at a local Spa. If she enjoys a drink I’d perhaps choose a good bottle of champagne too.

Peff68 Sun 09-May-21 22:08:52

I think passing on a piece of jewellery you no longer wear but think she may like is a nice idea? My DiL always does little hamper boxes with face masks smellies, slippers socks can of pina colada’s, note books etc, always little thoughtful ideas I love them.

It’s lovely you’re being so thoughtful for a gift for your DiL

Autumnleaves Thu 13-May-21 22:49:08

I recently received a gorgeous box of brownies in the post as a gift and they were delicious and a lovely surprise gift.