Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A trivial but genuine dilemma

(81 Posts)
Aveline Sat 15-May-21 11:00:43

I'm due to have a hip replacement in July. In preparation I'm wondering what to do about my feet. At this time of year I generally have a pedicure before 'getting my feet out for the summer'. My dilemma is whether I should go to a beauty salon for a pedicure (my poor feet have been immured in boots all winter and spring and could do with a treat) or to a chiropodist/podiatrist for a more serious tidy up. I don't want nail varnish so beauty salon might not be appropriate but neither are my feet in serious need of eg corn or hard skin treatment by a podiatrist. I know I'll have big problems after my op as I believe you can't bend more than 90° for a while so toe nail trimming would be a problem. It could be useful to be on a podiatrists books then.
So I just don't know. What do Grans think?

Aveline Tue 18-May-21 20:28:21

Thanks Puzzled.

Cathymac Tue 18-May-21 20:44:30

Aveline. 4.5inches off your waist is amazing. All the best to you when your op comes around. flowers

grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-May-21 10:52:48

After her hip replacements my mother preferred longish skirts and no underpants. She found it much easier when going to wee.

You may want to consider getting a raised toilet seat in advance, I mean one that is higher up, not one that has been left up by someone else and a wall handle to facilitate getting on and off the toilet.

Or you could invest in that useful invention the "she-wee" if you don't already have one and obviate the necessity of sitting down to wee.

Hope everything goes well.

coast35 Thu 20-May-21 10:56:33

Chiropodist is your best bet. You will be in pain for a while after the op so it would be good if your feet were not causing problems too. Oh and chiropodist’s like to be called podiatrists now!

Crazygran Thu 20-May-21 10:59:46

I am 66 and have had both hips replaced .My biggest problem was sleeping on my back. You have to do this no option so I suggest you start now if you sleep any other way .
Big knickers , joggers and by cycle gloves helped my hands when using crutches.
Good luck.

coast35 Thu 20-May-21 10:59:55

The hospital will kit her out with a Mowbray probably. It’s a raised toilet seat with arms that you can hold to help you rise from the seat. Also bath/shower board if required.

leeds22 Thu 20-May-21 11:00:31

I find chiropodists to be a bit over zealous, cutting nails too short for comfort and drilling a hole in a big toe nail, to mention two experiences. I’d stick to a good pedicure. Good luck with the op.

Alioop Thu 20-May-21 11:00:55

We have a little spa/ salon in my town and you can go and get your feet all sorted, all the filing, creams massaged in, etc and you don't have to get polish if you don't want it. Maybe see if there's somewhere like that near you.

ElderlyPerson Thu 20-May-21 11:09:13

As you are going to have an operation, it might be that your doctor would refer you to an NHS podiatrist free of charge.
Maybe, maybe not. Worth asking?

HannahLoisLuke Thu 20-May-21 11:20:31

JackyB

I think you are supposed to remove nail varnish before an operation (I read it Gransnet once). It would be a shame to spend money on a nice pedicure and then have to take it all off again.

So check this with your doctor. Maybe treat yourself afterwards?

Yes you do have to remove all nail polish before an op. It’s so that if there’s a problem with your oxygen or heart they can see straight away as your nails go a bluish tinge.

Taka Thu 20-May-21 12:02:35

If you have a Margaret Dabbs salon near you then I would definitely recommend their Medical Pedicure. Podiatry and pedicure combined, expensive but your feet will feel wonderful. Nail varnish is not included, but can be done separately in the salon if you decide you’d like it after your operation. Good luck!

Barrygirl Thu 20-May-21 12:03:13

Love my regular appointments with chiropodist - feet feel so good afterwards.

Sueki44 Thu 20-May-21 12:10:58

We have a lovely chiropodist who comes to the house. She spends about 1/2 an hour on my husband’s feet and it’s £30.

Bazza Thu 20-May-21 12:33:32

You definitely can’t have nail varnish when having surgery. I speak from experience! Why not have a pedicure in a salon and have your nails polished instead? I often use a buffer thing that has different sides, and with a bit of elbow grease make a nice shine so it looks like a clear varnish. You’d need to check a salon has these. Good luck with the op. I went down the no knickers and maxi dress as it was summer. Very liberating!

Aveline Thu 20-May-21 12:50:07

I do know that I won't be having nail varnish as I said in the OP!!
A medical pedicure sounds like the way ahead for me.

Nanananana1 Thu 20-May-21 13:02:06

No nail varnish is allowed when having an anaesthetic as oxygen levels in the blood can be spotted/measured in the nails and someone keeps an eye on that during the procedure

Kayteetay1 Thu 20-May-21 13:24:03

Pamper yourself. However you will probably have to remove any nail polish prior to hospital admission.

reelashosser Thu 20-May-21 13:32:35

I had a very successful hip replacement in the October of 2019. I found elasticated trousers very useful, and recall that you are not supposed to bend down to your feet for some time after the operation. Therefore I was unable to trim my toenails or massage body cream into my feet as I normally do, and was absolutely desperate for a luxurious pedicure by January! My feet and lower legs were uncomfortably dry by this time. It was all worth it, though. Good luck.

sandelf Thu 20-May-21 13:37:09

Find a podiatrist who will do reflexology massage too. Explain you want a maintenance (ie not very short or fierce) nail and skin session, to be followed by a massage. That should set you up. Recently I found this lactic acid treatment that gives you smooth skin without work - it might be worth you trying. www.ameliorate.com/?thg_ppc_campaign=71700000065574345&adtype=&product_id=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8B9LYXD9nx53VLdgh1Ya8D3N8iNFkTvQTUwFV2ml6HBuOzohkSpG2QaAjLzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Caro57 Thu 20-May-21 13:44:08

Podiatrist before so your mobilising post surgery is not compromised by any corns etc then a pamper pedicure after

Aveline Thu 20-May-21 13:44:22

I KNOW you're not supposed to wear nail varnish and exactly why not to!!
reelashosser and sandelf thanks for your suggestions.

Nannapat1 Thu 20-May-21 14:31:29

I'm 4 weeks into recovery from a hip replacement. I've been having monthly pedicures at a salon for some years now as I can't reached my feet! Prior to my operation I had a pedi and a mani but no varnish of course. My beautician is very thorough with cleaning and clipping the toenails and removing hard skin so it was a simple decision for me. I guess it depends on what sort of condition your feet are in now. Good luck on both scores!

RosieJ18 Thu 20-May-21 14:40:26

Podiatrist pre op then to cheer yourself up after a visit to the beauty salon is worth the treat ?

Nannapat1 Thu 20-May-21 14:47:21

Crazygran, the sleeping on my back is driving me mad! I endorse the big knickers plan and the things I've found most useful are a raised toilet seat, a leg lifter for bed and car and a grabber!

Babs758 Thu 20-May-21 15:48:20

I had a hip op nearly three years ago. I treated myself to an eyemask with built in speakers using bluetooth and found that I could drift off to sleep by relaxing and listening to plays etc. Sleeping on my back was tricky but I got used to it! I got a device which was a long stick with a sponge on the end for cleaning between toes. Only about £6 and brilliant for using when seated in the shower!