Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A trivial but genuine dilemma

(81 Posts)
Aveline Sat 15-May-21 11:00:43

I'm due to have a hip replacement in July. In preparation I'm wondering what to do about my feet. At this time of year I generally have a pedicure before 'getting my feet out for the summer'. My dilemma is whether I should go to a beauty salon for a pedicure (my poor feet have been immured in boots all winter and spring and could do with a treat) or to a chiropodist/podiatrist for a more serious tidy up. I don't want nail varnish so beauty salon might not be appropriate but neither are my feet in serious need of eg corn or hard skin treatment by a podiatrist. I know I'll have big problems after my op as I believe you can't bend more than 90° for a while so toe nail trimming would be a problem. It could be useful to be on a podiatrists books then.
So I just don't know. What do Grans think?

Aveline Sun 23-May-21 22:06:08

I'll go to our local chiropody practice. I don't mind paying. It's well worth it to me and no more expensive than a pedicure.

effalump Mon 24-May-21 15:33:42

Do whatever makes you feel good.

Nell8 Mon 24-May-21 20:02:01

If you're looking to top up your supply of big comfy knickers, Aveline, you could look at Damart. I bought some of their pure cotton bloomers with soft loose "cuffs" which don't dig in. Not exactly Agent Provocateur but raised a laugh when I met my very handsome young surgeon.

A friend who lives on her own used a backpack to carry a flask of coffee and snack from kitchen to lounge.

If you have to wear compression stockings after the op remind your helper that when any wrinkles need straightening out only the stocking should be twisted not the whole blooming leg! (DH got a bit carried away at times.)

Aveline Mon 24-May-21 20:32:43

Am off to check the Damart website! DH is an expert with compression stockings after my TKRs

Buttonjugs Tue 08-Jun-21 12:46:16

Odette52

Looking for recommendations for leggings.. material, sizing, comfort etc...
Many thanks❤️☘️

Boden leggings are the best on the market imo. Made from viscose I think, and they last forever, don’t wrinkle at the knee. Except the grey ones for some reason, don’t buy the grey ones.