Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grey hair

(74 Posts)
honeyrose Sat 15-May-21 16:15:18

This seems so flippant, but I can’t decide whether to colour my grey hair! My last hair colour (retouching of my roots) was in March 2020 and now all the colour has grown out and I’m as grey as a badger! It’s quite a nice iron grey, with different shades of grey in it (maybe not 50 shades though!). Grey hair really suits some people, but I don’t know whether it suits me. I feel really old now! I am 66 so no spring chicken, but now feel I look even older. Just got my state pension and a bus pass which is great, but adds to the feeling of growing older! Has anyone successfully coloured grey hair to be a natural looking light brown colour, probably highlighted and low lighted as I like hair to not look like one colour but subtly different shades. I want to look and feel a bit younger. Call me vain if you wish! Maybe I’m just lacking in confidence and have a fear of growing old. Am I being a silly old (ish) woman?!

WishIwasyounger Thu 20-May-21 10:32:47

Another vain one here so still colouring. If I didn't it would be in that inbetween stage which is awful.

Shinamae Thu 20-May-21 10:36:05

cornishpatsy

I have just had different shades of grey highlights, slate, silver, smokey and metallic. Blends well but looks modern. The pic is not me but shows what I mean.

My hair is white but I certainly might consider having this done I think it looks great ?

CocoPops Fri 21-May-21 02:44:20

I got fed up with the time and expense involved with hair colouring and decided to go grey. I actually prefer it and feel quite liberated! It's varying shades of grey which I like. I have it cut every 5 weeks.

Jillybird Fri 21-May-21 06:45:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBertha1 Fri 21-May-21 06:51:42

I colour my hair to its natural brunette as going or in my case white just makes all my anxieties about growing old worse. Like you I feel and look better with my hair coloured.

Daisymae Fri 21-May-21 08:49:14

I had a mix of lowlights for years but decided to give up about 18 months ago. I do use light make up every day, makes me feel better. Just a tinted moisturiser, eye pencil and a lip gloss, or salve. I must be 100s of pounds better off but more than that it was the time taken up every other month.

Theoddbird Fri 21-May-21 10:37:08

I am lucky to have silver hair. I have put a metallic silver on it in the past but not for months now. I don't think grey hair makes you look any older. I will never go back to putting ash brown on it. Get used to your grey hair....maybe have silver highlights put in it to lift it.

cc Fri 21-May-21 10:41:03

I use a dark blonde semi-permanent, which is really a light brown. It's a little too dark immediately I've done it, but fades wash by wash. I like warm tones so occasionally use a copper wash-in colour from Superdrug as my colour starts to fade, to make the greys tone in more. I suspect that if your hair is different greys you may find that it looks high/low lighted anyway. The only problem would be if your grey was very colour resistant and wouldn't take a semi, as a permanent colour gives the same colour all over so more flat looking.
Semi permanent dye colours vary, I prefer Casting to others which are often a darker brown.
To be honest I think I do the colour better than my hairdresser where I often had a pink tinge which I didn't like.

Moggycuddler Fri 21-May-21 10:45:55

Yes, some people do look fantastic with grey or white hair. But sadly, not me. I'm 64 and I have tried to let it go grey a few times but it looks awful, patchy, mousy in places, and the hair itself looks wiry and dry and in poor condition, no matter what I put on it. It looks so much better when I dye it, better condition too. And I definitely look younger. I use Olia medium blonde. On me it produces a dark blonde/light brown colour which I like.

cc Fri 21-May-21 10:46:58

I should add that my hair is now white in streaks but still pretty dark in patches and the semi ties it all together without making it look all the same and "flat" like a wig!

Glenfinnan Fri 21-May-21 10:57:36

I grew out my roots during lockdown and went grey! I keep my hair short and sharp (trimmed every 4/5 weeks) every third shampoo I use a ‘Blue’ shampoo. I put it on dry hair for 15 mins before washing hair. This keeps away the yellow tinge especially in the summer. Also now wear deep jewel colours to compliment hair colour. Just a scarf next to face works.

Yammy Fri 21-May-21 11:04:31

My hair had been blond all my life until my 50's when it started to go dark. I had foils once every 6 weeks pre covid. With home cutting they have disappeared, when I catch a look of myself it just doesn't look like me. Though family have said they like it and what looked like grey eyes now look blue on Facetime. I am getting it cut shortly and wonder what the hairdresser will say.
Thinking about it I have changed my makeup to more pinky and the clothes I buy are more colourful. In my mind I know I do not want to go through the whole growing out process again

Alioop Fri 21-May-21 11:05:59

I'm in my mid 50s and a redhead, but I find my roots getting darker, with an few odd greys, so I get them retouched every 6 mths. All of my friends are still dying their grey hair, but my hairdresser told me a few of her clients have decided against colouring since lockdown as they got used to the grey. I think I would feel older with grey hair, but that's just probably me being vain and thinking I'm still a wee young thing confused

Esspee Fri 21-May-21 11:18:20

cornishpatsy

I have just had different shades of grey highlights, slate, silver, smokey and metallic. Blends well but looks modern. The pic is not me but shows what I mean.

I was just about to say you look amazing for your age cornishpatsy.

honeyrose, I think the cut is especially important with grey hair. It can make you look stylish instead of old. So instead of spending money on colouring just get it cut well, and often.
You might also want to rethink the colours you wear while you are at it. What looks good with brown hair might not work with grey.

pce612 Fri 21-May-21 11:41:54

I have been waiting for my hair to go white all over but it doesn't so I bleach the front and random stripes going towards the back. I don't use foils, just a balayage technique) bleach just painted on) which gives gentle blending.
It looks like an expensive colour job and gets lots of comliments.

SparklyGrandma Fri 21-May-21 11:49:54

I stopped having mine dyed since March 2020. I have considered dying it again but have decided that a sharp cut, regular (paid for) blow drys and a change in wardrobe colours, mean I can look good in another, smarter way.

Plus the saving of the money it cost to have it dyed in the salon.

Besides, my silver hair goes better with my twinkly blue eyes!

nipsmum Fri 21-May-21 12:12:37

I started going grey in my mid 20s. I used to get streaks put in until my forties, then decided it was becoming too expensive and have had totally white hair since I was about 45. I'm 80 now and even with white hair still don't look my age. Grow old gracefully is what I say.

Meggymoos Fri 21-May-21 12:15:59

I'm 47, always had highlights..During the lockdowns it all grew out, and I noticed several greys coming through. Well, as I've been fair, it's actually white,which looks rather nice ! I also hit early menopause at 44, so did feel a bit old before my time . I'm noticing though that many younger women are actually paying to colour their hair this colour !!

rosieod1 Fri 21-May-21 12:34:32

I've been colouring mine bright pink for a few years now. I'm 67 . Get lots of compliments from young people which is nice,strange looks from older ones but I don't care. My hair and I'll do what I like with it

Silvertwigs Fri 21-May-21 12:49:09

What about a new hair cut and style, that can me as modernising as a new colour?

I’ve been grey for years but have foils done silver and pale brown, not as stripy as the picture but I do like that!

Willjac123 Fri 21-May-21 12:52:30

I dye my own hair ( won't/ can't pay salon prices). Superdrug own brand, natural,medium blonde £3.99, roughly every 8 weeks
It's barely more trouble than just washing my hair and covers my grey nicely!

Nanananana1 Fri 21-May-21 12:57:26

All that time in the hairdressers for the next twenty years or more? All that money? Oh no, not for me!

Get yourself a great modern haircut, condition your hair, slap on the lipstick or dusky eyes and add colour to your wardrobe. Add a spring in your step and laugh a lot!

Years off, more fun and a lot cheaper!

Mistymoocake Fri 21-May-21 12:57:34

Shelflife

I use nice and easy. Most high street stores sell it. Used it for years when I had short hair well before I started to go grey. But can be used on full grey. Went back to long hair in my forties and have stayed that way so used a mobile hair dresser but with the lock down have gone back to doing it myself and went back to the trusted dye. Still as good.

Paperbackwriter Fri 21-May-21 13:04:46

I still have my hair coloured but after so long in lockdown I decided it would be highlights only (half a head) and the base colour would be left natural. I think it's a good compromise and a lot cheaper as the growing-out is quite 'blurred' because half of it is your natural colour. So these days, I'm a half-blonde, not a whole-head one.

JakeysGranny Fri 21-May-21 13:05:35

I’m glad I stopped dyeing mine during the first lockdown (March 2020 was my last colour - same as you), I’m 59 and ready to embrace being grey.
Have a good modern cut, get it in tip-top condition (show your hairstylist some style pics you like) and don’t forget that wearing different colour clothes makes a huge difference - as does a nice lipstick.
I’m not willing to go back to dyeing mine every 4 weeks and covering roots in between...go for it xx