Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange things people do

(114 Posts)
tanith Sun 16-May-21 10:32:52

I suppose what I think is strange isn’t to others. Do you know someone who does something unfathomable to you?

This is what prompted my question and I do know it’s a trivial thing so ignore the thread rather than flame me.

Stood in front of my bedroom doing some exercises this morning I see my opposite neighbour was watering her garden with a hose, nothing to see here, except it’s been bloody raining for over week. Why? ?

nadateturbe Sun 16-May-21 10:43:03

This is only a small thing but I find it strange. My friend has a poached egg on top of her porridge.

Redhead56 Sun 16-May-21 10:53:20

I watched Nigella making a Turkish dish yoghurt with sloppy poached egg and butter sauce on top. I felt queasy just watching it never mind eating it what a combination. All things separate ok but not on one plate not for me anyway.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 10:53:49

I don't know if this is strange or not but I find it odd. Maybe you won't.
Some friends have been married over 50 years and never stop kissing and cuddling. When we visit and go for a look around the shops, if the husband goes into one shop and the wife another, they kiss and cuddle first. Every time, every shop. I suppose it's nice really but a but over the top to me.

Boz Sun 16-May-21 11:04:23

I knew someone who loved the newness of his car to the extent he rarely used it! He bought a little banger to park in places he thought unsafe for his precious BMW. No one else was allowed to drive it, of course, and he verged on a nervous breakdown if it got a scratch. Get a life.

Boz Sun 16-May-21 11:09:24

Thinking on
Another bloke with OCD tendencies built a massive sand tray on his drive so visitors cars' wouldn't leak oil on his block paving, Someone got a stick and wrote "Get a Life" in the sand.

tanith Sun 16-May-21 11:34:08

There’s nowt so queer as folks ?

timetogo2016 Sun 16-May-21 11:46:16

Someone i used to know,many years ago used to take his dog for a walk,drop it back to the house and tell his wife it`s time for his walk now.
His wife shook her head,i laughed and said i think he means the pub my friend,she laughed and said i was possibly right.

Newatthis Sun 16-May-21 11:53:20

I've got some friends who at 10pm every night get the tooth floss out and floss their teeth in the living room. I stayed with them for a week and found this very odd. Do you think that they were hinting that it is bedtime?

Redhead56 Sun 16-May-21 11:56:49

That’s disgusting I remember years ago going to Essex to a wedding. On the train there was a woman standing and trying to floss her teeth at the same time!

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 11:57:02

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 11:58:20

Don't know what happened there! Newatthis that really made me laugh!

Daisend1 Sun 16-May-21 12:08:43

As the saying goes and heard on many occasions from my Yorkshire inlaws, nowt queer as folk

Blossoming Sun 16-May-21 12:17:12

Why do people exercise in front of their bedroom windows? I don’t want anybody watching me huffing, puffing and creaking ?

FannyCornforth Sun 16-May-21 12:20:25

Personally, I don't think that this is strange, as it's something that I'd do myself, but it definitely made me chuckle.
Our house and our neighbours' houses back onto very pleasant fields and woodland.
The other day, out of the back bedroom window, I saw our neighbour holding up his little dog so that he could see over their fence into the field.
???

Chewbacca Sun 16-May-21 12:27:17

I found this unfathomable just this morning: took GC to a local park that has miles of footpaths cross crossing it for walkers, joggers and dog walkers. In the middle is a children's swing park, fenced on all sides with about 10 large notices stating that alcohol, smoking and dogs are not allowed within that area. 2 other families arrive, complete with unleashed dogs that then run around freely chasing children, whilst the adults sit on the benches smoking. We left.

Delila Sun 16-May-21 12:29:47

Fanny, I’ve done that, & my little dog gave every sign of being very interested.

FannyCornforth Sun 16-May-21 12:31:35

Delila, yes, it's sweet isn't it

tanith Sun 16-May-21 12:32:01

Blossoming I was only stretching my Achilles tendon as its been swollen and very painful but leaning on the window sill helps the stretch lol.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 12:36:03

People who feed the ducks on the canal at the back of our house (lovely) then throw the bread bag on the bank (not lovely).

StatenIsland Sun 16-May-21 13:45:43

tanith

I suppose what I think is strange isn’t to others. Do you know someone who does something unfathomable to you?

This is what prompted my question and I do know it’s a trivial thing so ignore the thread rather than flame me.

Stood in front of my bedroom doing some exercises this morning I see my opposite neighbour was watering her garden with a hose, nothing to see here, except it’s been bloody raining for over week. Why? ?

Maybe it was one of those Miracle Gro hose feeders and she's hoping this rainy spell will help wash the feed deeper into the roots of the plants. I treat my lawns with dilute Weedol from a watering can during rainy spells for the same reason. From a distance it will just look like I'm watering the lawn.

How long did you watch her for? Maybe she was hosing away cat, dog or fox poo or had done what I did once, put down some fox repellant and the smell was so awful that I went and washed it away with the hose.

dragonfly46 Sun 16-May-21 13:59:28

My parents had underfloor heating and at 9.30 every night my dad would put his PJs on the floor to warm whether they had visitors or not!

NannyJan53 Sun 16-May-21 14:01:45

Fanny There is a saying here about Gornal (near Sedgely) "Where they put the pigs on the wall to watch the band go by"

It obviously refers to the days when people kept a pig in their garden.

tanith Sun 16-May-21 14:15:15

StatenIsland I was stretching for no more than 10 mins but she was still out there after I’d had my shower dried and dressed. You could be right about any of those reasons I suppose but I’m loving reading about all these quirky strange happening.

Lucca Sun 16-May-21 14:30:10

My bloke never closes his living room windows. I find that weird.

My mother in law, a lovely lady by the way, had towels in the bathroom on a rail which were not to be used . They were “for display purposes only”..........bizarre.