Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange things people do

(115 Posts)
tanith Sun 16-May-21 10:32:52

I suppose what I think is strange isn’t to others. Do you know someone who does something unfathomable to you?

This is what prompted my question and I do know it’s a trivial thing so ignore the thread rather than flame me.

Stood in front of my bedroom doing some exercises this morning I see my opposite neighbour was watering her garden with a hose, nothing to see here, except it’s been bloody raining for over week. Why? ?

mokryna Mon 24-May-21 19:16:40

Tizliz

Joesoap

I admit to washing the dishes before going into the dishwasher,my husband doesnt do this, he thinks I am mad,no comments please.

My husband does this and it is really annoying, all that wasted hot water and washing up liquid - I have threatened to get rid of the dishwasher and leave it all to him

I can’t bear to think of the food left on the plates standing in the dishwasher till it’s full up and next wash is put on. Since having more time on my hands now, I do the washing up by hand and let it drain dry. Funnily, after 38 years of using the machine, I find it very relaxing.

nadateturbe Mon 24-May-21 17:25:06

I just realised something odd that I do. When I buy something new I keep the label that's pinned on. I have quite a few in an elastic band. No doubt I'll bin them soon, but why?

Larsonsmum Wed 19-May-21 13:42:40

Rain or no rain I have to water a section of our garden where a long dyke trough under our three front bedroom windows doesn't get the rain no matter how heavy. My Azaleas complain by dying, if I don't water there.

Hope nobody nosey/critical and determined not to mind their own business is passing our rural dwelling and sees me, and decides to post about it.

JulieNoted Tue 18-May-21 22:02:48

My mother boiled cabbage to within an inch of its life. She always put so much in the saucepan, it was overflowing, but she'd say 'oh by the time it's cooked there'll be nothing like that much'. And indeed, there was hardly anything left at the end confused. If she were alive today she would be amazed to find that steamed cabbage stays whole and retains nearly all its volume!

My MiL used to do the saucer thing - strain the cabbage into a colander and squash it with a saucer to get all the liquid out. I tried to explain to her that if you don't overcook it, there isn't any liquid to squeeze out, but it always fell on deaf ears grin

3dognight Tue 18-May-21 21:31:01

Re the sprout mashing- mum used to boil any green vegetables then hold the saucepan at an angle and chop into them with a saucer. Very vigorously!

It was a revelation to me veg could be steamed and remain whole ?

tanith Tue 18-May-21 21:04:17

I know someone who loves fried eggs but never eats the yolk, strange man.

Ro60 Tue 18-May-21 19:07:34

Wool rather

Ro60 Tue 18-May-21 19:07:11

A friend irons Everything; bra's, pants, tights, will jumpers.
- She thinks I'm odd because I barely iron Anything?

Lin52 Tue 18-May-21 19:04:23

Redhead56

I watched Nigella making a Turkish dish yoghurt with sloppy poached egg and butter sauce on top. I felt queasy just watching it never mind eating it what a combination. All things separate ok but not on one plate not for me anyway.

A Spanish cook I watch on YouTube, puts poached egg in his soup.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 18-May-21 18:57:16

Great that the married couple kiss and cuddle before departing but odd before going into every shop, it’s lovely that they are happily married , good on them! I must admit whenever I make a second cup of tea I use a clean cup each time ??

Woodmouse Tue 18-May-21 18:50:37

I can't fathom why people live in dirty and untidy homes. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Kate1949 Tue 18-May-21 18:40:23

It's not upsetting to me Puzzled. I just find it a bit odd that if they go into 10 different shops, they do it each time and we are hanging about waiting for them to finish. Others may think it's great. Yes marvellous that they are happily married.

Marmight Tue 18-May-21 18:27:43

My neighbour recently had his lawn returfed. The day before the landscape gardeners came to rip up the old lawn he spent an hour with his favourite gadget blowing all the leaves off ?
I never have to collect my wheelie bins from the roadside. He always wheels them back into my garden as they look untidy cluttering up the pavement as it offends him ?
My Dad used to go mad about oil dripping onto his not insubstantial driveway. A couple of days before his funeral some young Aussie friends parked their camper van on said driveway leaving oil marks. I was in such a state worrying what Dad would say that I sent them out to get oil remover before the funeral and the area was scrubbed clean . They must have thought I’d completely lost the plot

Puzzled Tue 18-May-21 17:21:09

Odd that long married couple kiss and cuddle?
No!
Marvellous, we should be happy and envious not upset.

JulieNoted Tue 18-May-21 10:22:04

A woman who used to live next door to my daughter would never, ever keep anything she'd cooked until the next day. So, if she made too much lasagne, for example, she'd call over the fence and ask my daughter if she wanted some, otherwise it would just be binned. She had a freezer, and my daughter asked her why she didn't just portion it up and freeze it for later. 'Oh no, I couldn't do that' she'd say, with a disgusted look on her face, 'I have to use everything up on the day I make it, or it gets thrown out.' Even cakes - she'd make a Victoria sandwich, she and her daughter would have a slice each, and she'd give the rest away to neighbours, or bin it. confused

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 10:01:14

tictacnana

I was at the Birmingham Arts Centre on a trip from college in Manchester. We went to the cafe there for lunch. There was a queue and ,when it was the turn of my friend and I , I asked for a cheese and ham sandwiches. The girl behind the counter yelped, burst into tears and ran to the room at the back of the counter. She returned, seconds later with an older woman who asked what I’d said to the girl- who was still weeping. I repeated my sandwich order and was told to watch my mouth or get out. Any ideas ?

When was this tictac?
I'm completely flummoxed.
The 'rude' meanings for cheese and ham sandwich are a red herring.
According to Urban Dictionary, from where most of the dubious definitions on the internet originate; cheese and ham sandwich means variously oral sex, intercourse or masturbation.
None of these are in common usage or even particularly shocking.
Furthermore it would be more than commonplace to refering to and handling cheese, ham and bread in a café.
To have offended one member of staff is unfortunate and a mystery; but two? To the extent that they shriek; burst into tears, and publicly admonish you for using bad language and threaten to chuck you out???
I don't get it.

Btw, what did you end up eating op?

Shropshirelass Tue 18-May-21 09:31:22

My DH every day!! Only joking really.

Fanny. There is a pub in Gornal called ‘The Pig on the Wall’ I believe? Gornal is quite a community, someone I once met was from there as were her whole family, she used to joke saying that you had to have a passport to enter or leave Gornal!

lemsip Tue 18-May-21 08:33:18

you can buy cheese and ham sandwiches in M & S , Boots, and supermarkets. Whats the problem?

Loislovesstewie Tue 18-May-21 08:23:05

JackyB

I am not going to look up the cheese and ham sandwich, prefer to remain ignorant. My first though was that the girl must have been an Orthodox Jew. (mixing meat and dairy is not kosher.)

But ham wouldn't be used by a Jewish café/restaurant, would it?

tanith Tue 18-May-21 08:12:08

Thanks nadateturbe I’m really enjoying it aren’t folk funny?

JackyB Tue 18-May-21 08:02:22

I am not going to look up the cheese and ham sandwich, prefer to remain ignorant. My first though was that the girl must have been an Orthodox Jew. (mixing meat and dairy is not kosher.)

heath480 Tue 18-May-21 01:46:06

My Mother always had the clocks in the house set half an hour fast.Apparently it was so that we were never late for anything!

nadateturbe Tue 18-May-21 01:27:46

Yorki I get it now - the egg on porridge! Sorry I forgot about that post. I thought you were referring to display towels post. blush

nadateturbe Tue 18-May-21 01:05:02

Great thread Tanith

nadateturbe Tue 18-May-21 01:01:13

Yorki

Nadateturb.... Yuk. ??

Yorki why Yuk?