Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Strange things people do

(115 Posts)
tanith Sun 16-May-21 10:32:52

I suppose what I think is strange isn’t to others. Do you know someone who does something unfathomable to you?

This is what prompted my question and I do know it’s a trivial thing so ignore the thread rather than flame me.

Stood in front of my bedroom doing some exercises this morning I see my opposite neighbour was watering her garden with a hose, nothing to see here, except it’s been bloody raining for over week. Why? ?

Loislovesstewie Mon 17-May-21 12:49:46

MY DH has a shower, he goes and gets dressed then goes back to clean his teeth. He seems to be physically incapable of cleaning his teeth until he's dressed. I don't understand it!

shysal Mon 17-May-21 13:01:54

I remember Rylan Clark-Neal telling an interviewer that he always strips naked before he can go to the toilet for a 'number 2'.

tanith Mon 17-May-21 13:03:59

Weirder and weirder ?

Rosina Mon 17-May-21 13:28:30

We had friends who hired a car every year to go on holiday; they had a car, but didn't like to 'wear it out' on the motorways. I could never think of what to say when they informed us they were off to pick up the hire car - it cost them hundreds every time, and the logic of this still escapes me.

Yorki Mon 17-May-21 13:34:16

Tanith... Yes I know , crazy isn't it . That made me laugh , but yes , I too have seen similar.??

Yorki Mon 17-May-21 13:37:03

Nadateturb.... Yuk. ??

Yorki Mon 17-May-21 13:41:09

Kate1959..... That's totally weird . I would love to know why they think that's necessary. Maybe they've made some kind of strange pact with each other . Seems ridiculous to me .

HannahLoisLuke Mon 17-May-21 13:49:03

Boz

Thinking on
Another bloke with OCD tendencies built a massive sand tray on his drive so visitors cars' wouldn't leak oil on his block paving, Someone got a stick and wrote "Get a Life" in the sand.

I can sympathise a bit with that. Same thing happened in our brick paved drive and it took many hours of scrubbing with horrible, expensive cleaner which still didn’t get rid of it completely .

HannahLoisLuke Mon 17-May-21 13:52:48

dragonfly46

My parents had underfloor heating and at 9.30 every night my dad would put his PJs on the floor to warm whether they had visitors or not!

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read for ages ??

Alioop Mon 17-May-21 13:54:43

My sister's friend has to put vinegar on her ice-cream.

Tizliz Mon 17-May-21 14:00:47

Joesoap

I admit to washing the dishes before going into the dishwasher,my husband doesnt do this, he thinks I am mad,no comments please.

My husband does this and it is really annoying, all that wasted hot water and washing up liquid - I have threatened to get rid of the dishwasher and leave it all to him

HannahLoisLuke Mon 17-May-21 14:02:11

Alioop I’m tempted to try that, but with balsamic vinegar.

tictacnana Mon 17-May-21 14:04:14

I was at the Birmingham Arts Centre on a trip from college in Manchester. We went to the cafe there for lunch. There was a queue and ,when it was the turn of my friend and I , I asked for a cheese and ham sandwiches. The girl behind the counter yelped, burst into tears and ran to the room at the back of the counter. She returned, seconds later with an older woman who asked what I’d said to the girl- who was still weeping. I repeated my sandwich order and was told to watch my mouth or get out. Any ideas ?

craftynan Mon 17-May-21 14:16:17

tictacnana - I was puzzled by that so I googled “ulterior meaning of cheese and ham sandwich” and the urban dictionary threw up a result! I’m not going into detail here ??. I’m still puzzled though, surely if you’re in a cafe you can’t be accused of meaning the urban dictionary definition!

Loislovesstewie Mon 17-May-21 14:23:57

craftynan

tictacnana - I was puzzled by that so I googled “ulterior meaning of cheese and ham sandwich” and the urban dictionary threw up a result! I’m not going into detail here ??. I’m still puzzled though, surely if you’re in a cafe you can’t be accused of meaning the urban dictionary definition!

I wish I hadn't googled that!

Carooline Mon 17-May-21 14:33:11

That is so gross ?.

gran5up Mon 17-May-21 14:52:14

Lucca, my mother (to whom I was always Filthy Child, Messy Child etc) berated me for standing on the bath mat and getting it wet!
When I asked what I had to do, she replied," The bath mat stays on the floor, you put the Stander-Onner on top of that and stand on that!"-all delivered in a tone that suggested only a fool would not know that...

craftynan Mon 17-May-21 15:00:34

It’s horrible, isn’t it!

Riggie Mon 17-May-21 15:01:46

Was it a vegan cafe?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 17-May-21 15:03:24

Two things; anyone know what that café called the cheese and ham sandwiches they served)

The second is, Lucca, in Scotland when I was a child, any lady of my grandmother's generation had linen towels hanging over the terry towelling ones on her bathroom towel rail, or a bedroom towel rail for that matter.

Ordinary mortals dried their hands on one of the terry towelling towels below them, but I believe the doctor and the minister or priest were meant to use the good linen towels.

I clearly remember an elderly aunt explaining this to my mother who as a Dane couldn't be expected to know this custom, and as a doctor's wife may not necessarily have had to observe it.

I know my mother subsequently asked the local meenister, addressed by us children as Uncle David, a courtesy title, extended to all my parents friends, the ladies being auntie or aunt this or that, whether she should hang a linen towel out for him and everyone dissolving into laughter.

The tea service that was only in use when the minister called was common in most Protestant families - Catholic families didn't bother unless the priest had been bring the Eucharist to a bed-bound member of the household - then tea and some fairly substantial foods were served for the priest after he had said Mass. If the Father just came in for a chat, he was served his tea in the ordinary cups or mugs.

Chewbacca Mon 17-May-21 15:08:11

Cheese and ham sandwich shock Who knew? Every day's a school day on GN!

hollysteers Mon 17-May-21 15:27:18

An elderly bachelor friend of my late husband’s who remained alone in the untouched massive family home. The telephone he used was still by his parents’ bed.
A spinster friend who lived with her sister elsewhere, but showed me round the unoccupied for years large detached family home she wouldn’t part with. She was so proud of it but I thought it was creepy, time had stopped in the 1950s and it was frozen in time, everything untouched since her parents died.

BrandyGran Mon 17-May-21 15:44:00

I heard of someone who was expecting visitors.She cleaned the bathroom and put a note on the fresh towels- "If you use these towels I will kill you!" This of course was meant for her husband. She was so busy preparing for the guests that she forgot to remove the note and discovered the unused towels when they had gone away!

JdotJ Mon 17-May-21 15:46:47

Boz

Thinking on
Another bloke with OCD tendencies built a massive sand tray on his drive so visitors cars' wouldn't leak oil on his block paving, Someone got a stick and wrote "Get a Life" in the sand.

My dad used to do this with our old car back in the 1970s as he didn't want oil stains on the driveway. Used to put cardboard under the front of the car to catch the drips.

Aepgirl Mon 17-May-21 16:03:11

I have a neighbour opposite who rarely uses his car, but cleans it inside and out every week, and promptly puts it in his garage. The same man sometimes does backbends (not very well) on his front lawn!

My next door neighbours never open their curtains.

All very strange.