Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone know if *Iam64* is ok?

(259 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 06:30:11

I can’t remember seeing her posts for quite a while now.

I have pmd her but no reply

MerylStreep Wed 30-Jun-21 12:25:29

Jacqrose
You say GN is a bit ‘cliquey’
It’s a bit difficult not to appear friendly when you’ve been exchanging views / opinions/ likes/ dislikes for ( in my case) over 10 years with some of these posters.

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 12:26:25

I'm just noting the irony of posters who are worried about posting, being told off for not posting grin

At least we don't often have the "xxx is a new poster, I believe" any more.

Galaxy Wed 30-Jun-21 12:38:29

I wish Iam64 was on this thread she is always very calming grin

seacliff Wed 30-Jun-21 12:46:20

Whilst we are thinking of absent posters, I hope another long term member, Phoenix, is doing OK. I know she was rather poorly a while ago. Best wishes if you see this Phoenix.

jacqrose Wed 30-Jun-21 12:47:30

I do understand where you are all coming from, especially you marydoll. Just wanted to give a little insight from a new member, thanks for the replies.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Jun-21 12:50:30

Jacqrose I’m relatively new and it took me some time to ‘join in’, but similar to others, particularly in lockdown, I’ve found this site helpful and supportive. I accept some posters have been on here far longer than me, some have made good friends and met up in reality, a bit like pen pals used to many moons ago, or some on Facebook and other social media.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 12:56:23

When I first plucked up the courage to post a long standing member PM'd me and took me under her wing so to speak. I shall never forget her kindness especially as she herself was going through the most dreadful time.

Thank you Anniebach

Blossoming Wed 30-Jun-21 13:01:21

I was new not so long ago jacqrose. It’s always a little strange being new in an established group but for the most part Gnetters are welcoming. I may have made one or two booboos along the way grin. It isn’t always easy to read mood and tone online, so I tend to assume goodwill on the part of the poster. Perhaps comment on one or two threads that interest you, and Soop’s Kitchen is always a warm and welcoming place. Fellow Grans have held my hand when I’ve been worried and frightened, comforted me when I‘ve been hurt or sad, and celebrated with me when I have had good news. No, we don’t always agree about everything but that can make for ‘interesting and robust’ discussions grin

I would say “Jump right in, the water’s lovely”.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:01:22

jacqrose

"FannyCornforth" no, of course not, freedom of speech and all that but it often seems that about a dozen or so posters are on all the threads just talking to themselves. Just saying smile

Difficult to talk to someone we don’t know exists????

Lucca Wed 30-Jun-21 13:01:38

I don’t think it’s cliquey but I do think some posters are very quick to take offence and claim that there are cliques ! I’ve noticed a few new voices recently which is great, long may it continue.

Good to hear Iam64 is ok.

TerriBull Wed 30-Jun-21 13:08:14

I wish Iam64, Urmston, Phoenix, POGS, Gillybob well and anyone else I've forgotten. I do hope they are able to return in the future, when they feel up to it.

jacqrose Wed 30-Jun-21 13:20:49

I am not worried about posting and have posted a few times on different threads but mainly on the contentious subject of the royals. I can see though that many people have been posting for a long time and have gained a lot from it.

Doodledog Wed 30-Jun-21 13:33:11

I'm just noting the irony of posters who are worried about posting, being told off for not posting grin

Isn't it more that it's difficult to follow the logic that says people are worried because they aren't in a 'clique' of people who know one another because they aren't posting to get to know others?

Spinnaker Wed 30-Jun-21 13:57:33

Along with those mentioned in Terribull's post, who I also wish well, has anyone heard from EllanVannin recently ?

NanKate Wed 30-Jun-21 14:10:10

Yes as Mary said I was in touch with Gillybob last year. She said a few times that she was thinking of returning but it sadly never happened. I wrote her an email a few months back but received no reply so I must respect her wishes not to return.

She was still getting great pleasure from her little granddaughter and she had managed to keep her business afloat.

nanaK54 Wed 30-Jun-21 14:19:03

Please all regular posters do not stop posting, what would others like me have to read? grin
I read everyday, but only contribute sporadically (really dislike the word lurker though)

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:18:54

GillT57

While we are on the subject, and before this thread gets shut down, has anyone heard from Gillybob? I have sent her a PM but had no reply. Glad to hear that the others on the roll call are ok!

I think someone on the Good Morning thread is in touch with gillybob, GillT57, at least she was a while ago.

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:21:58

Sorry, NanKate I should have read the whole tht0read before responding!

Yes - where is EllanVannin? Perhaps she's taking a break too; I hope she's ok.

That's the problem, people do leave for various reasons and in the main we never know if they are all right or not.

Casdon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:40:02

I’ve wondered about paddyanne, she was a very regular poster, supporting the independence for Scotland cause but on lots of other threads as well, and she suddenly disappeared a couple of months ago. Hope she is okay too.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Jun-21 15:41:13

Callistemon
I think that a good idea is to swap email addresses with at least one other person

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Jun-21 15:43:47

nanaK54

Please all regular posters do not stop posting, what would others like me have to read? grin
I read everyday, but only contribute sporadically (really dislike the word lurker though)

Thank you nanaK !
It's good to know that we're not boring everyone silly!grin
You are right - 'lurker' is horrible. It sounds almost troll-like

Callistemon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:44:26

Probably a good idea, FannyC, at least you might know if they decided to leave GN.
However, it could still be worrying if contact suddenly just stopped.

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:44:39

I think paddyanne had had enough of the continual nit-picking about her chosen career, and vocal complaining about her posts. She said on one of the threads that she was going to stop posting, and she did.

Casdon Wed 30-Jun-21 15:47:29

That’s a shame Alegrias1, but at least it sounds as though she is okay - I must have missed that post as I didn’t realise she had said she was leaving.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Jun-21 15:48:59

Suziewoozie is not on a warning blosoming she has personal reasons for not posting