Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Freebies

(119 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 07-Jul-21 12:36:09

How many of you would have paid for the covid jab?
I am grateful, very grateful , to the scientists who brought it to us so swiftly, but really shocked when I wonder how much its all cost!
If there'd been a box for donations at the venue I'd gladly have contributed, though the cost of administering the offering would probable outstrip the amount collected.

Riverwalk Wed 07-Jul-21 12:40:51

Nothing free about the vaccinations - paid for with our taxes via the NHS.

Aveline Wed 07-Jul-21 14:13:09

I'd happily have made a financial contribution.

Kim19 Wed 07-Jul-21 14:15:35

Our kind of 'free' is an indirect and additional incentive to comply.

yggdrasil Wed 07-Jul-21 14:44:51

Riverwalk

Nothing free about the vaccinations - paid for with our taxes via the NHS.

Plus the profit the manufacturers made, from said taxes

M0nica Wed 07-Jul-21 14:58:43

Why shouldn't the manufacturers make profits? A lot of it is spent onresearch and development www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9877

Blossoming Wed 07-Jul-21 15:44:53

Perhaps you’d like to donate to the NHS ExDancer? I have done this during the pandemic.

www.nhscharitiestogether.co.uk/

Ironically, I’d been heavily involved in fund raising for the purchase of the MRI scanner that helped to save my life following my brain injury.

Abuelana Sat 10-Jul-21 10:33:59

Simply yes if needed

Janetashbolt Sat 10-Jul-21 10:34:39

yes, all my family (6 of us) would have paid

Shirlb Sat 10-Jul-21 10:35:06

No and it’s not really any good against the changing virus ??but like the masks something to make people think government is doing something!!!

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Jul-21 10:36:27

Blossoming, I could be wrong but thought you couldn't actually donate to the NHS? I thought it had to go to one of the NHS charities?

Shirlb Sat 10-Jul-21 10:37:06

Remember the virus is not that bad unless your in hospital or already have life threatening issues! No one can live for ever ?

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:38:49

Of course, goes without saying

Happilyretired123 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:40:42

We have paid through income tax. People seem to forget that the NHS is free at the point of delivery but funded by income tax.

Blossoming Sat 10-Jul-21 10:41:40

NotSpaghetti

*Blossoming*, I could be wrong but thought you couldn't actually donate to the NHS? I thought it had to go to one of the NHS charities?

You do seem to enjoy pulling me up notSpaghetti!

If you click on the link that I provided you would have seen that it links to the The Association of NHS Charities, operating as NHS Charities Together, a federation of over 250 charitable organisations that supports all the devolved National Health Service (NHS), their staff, volunteers and patients, in the United Kingdom.

DaisyL Sat 10-Jul-21 10:42:17

Your statement that the vaccination is 'not really any good against the changing virus' Shirlb sounds pretty pessimistic. What what are you basing this information on? In my area local hospital had two Covid wards and ICU all full during the last wave - at the moment there are only 4 patients who have tested positive and no one in ICU with the virus. How ha this happened if the vaccination isn't working?

Janiepops Sat 10-Jul-21 10:47:04

Yes would pay, and probably double it to cover someone that couldn’t pay, just for gratefulness I was born in the Western world ????????????

jocork Sat 10-Jul-21 10:48:46

The Astrazeneca vaccine has been produced on a 'not-for-profit' basis. The other vaccines have cost rather more. Once the initial phase of dealing with the pandemic are over I'm sure the companies will increase their prices significantly. Apparently the companies that have made the most money are those supplying the glass vials etc!

Personally I'd be happy to pay a small extra amount on my taxes if it ensured that the NHS remained 'free at the point of need'!

granbabies123 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:52:18

Janiepops that was such a lovely thing to say. Sometimes too many negatives on Gransnet. Well said

Classic Sat 10-Jul-21 10:53:28

And despite the costs of all the free testing and inoculation being covered there will still be politicians telling us the government hasn't spent on the NHS

Cossy Sat 10-Jul-21 10:54:25

I think what is meant by “free”, is “free at point of service” Most of us pay taxes for all sorts of things - many don’t use those things, we are indeed very fortunate with our NHS, many of us have had far more out of in that we paid yes.

Yes, I would have happily paid for vaccines !

Suziemarie Sat 10-Jul-21 10:54:37

Yes I'd definitely have paid

Lin52 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:55:07

jocork

The Astrazeneca vaccine has been produced on a 'not-for-profit' basis. The other vaccines have cost rather more. Once the initial phase of dealing with the pandemic are over I'm sure the companies will increase their prices significantly. Apparently the companies that have made the most money are those supplying the glass vials etc!

Personally I'd be happy to pay a small extra amount on my taxes if it ensured that the NHS remained 'free at the point of need'!

Absolutely , so would I.

Joesoap Sat 10-Jul-21 10:55:56

Yes I would have paid

Classic Sat 10-Jul-21 10:56:57

ShirlB, I am amazed to find the molescom contagium lump and my verucas, both viral, are actually reducing in size, hopefully to clear up completely since my covid jab, that's some pretty effective vaccine