Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Skincare Help

(9 Posts)
shannon93 Tue 13-Jul-21 20:59:42

Do any of you still buy skincare/makeup products at our age? I am having trouble finding products that are geared towards my skin and still look good. Most try to get rid of wrinkles and I think that's a lost cause now smile

Do you buy online or in-store and how do I find out about new items? My granddaughter recommended a few but I'd like to hear what people my age are doing.... thank you!

NanKate Tue 13-Jul-21 21:48:14

Try Look Fabulous Forever which is an online cosmetic company for mature women. I buy stacks of things from them and follow their excellent videos given by Tricia Cusden.

If you go on YouTube you will find lots of her excellent advice. She is 73 and looks great.

Shinamae Tue 13-Jul-21 21:52:32

I swear by The Ordinary
,great quality and very affordable…..

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Jul-21 22:13:38

I like some of Look Fabulous Forever products like eye shadow but for skin cream prefer Clinique Repairwear and their CC cream tinted moisturiser.

Esspee Tue 13-Jul-21 23:40:35

I go for the healthy makeup free look. Takes years off you.

Nannarose Wed 14-Jul-21 08:20:56

Lucky you Esspee! But OP was also asking about moisturisers as well. My grandmother & mother never wore make-up, but they did moisturise. Indeed, for some years I used my grandmother's home-made (there's another thread!)
I hesitate to recommend a brand, but I'm going to suggest you look at Merumaya, which I have settled on - it's mid-price and only available on-line.

Redhead56 Wed 14-Jul-21 09:48:38

I use Gosh foundation Primer Anti wrinkle it’s meant to be worn under foundation but I don’t wear foundation. Its sleek slides on your skin and makes your skin feel smooth. It’s non greasy and a nice product I feel undressed without it. I get it either from Superdrug or Amazon it’s about £6 but goes a long way.

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 09:59:55

I just use moisteriser, nothing else, any moisteriser and massage plenty of it in to my face each morning. I think the massage does as much good as the cream.

After that I used to just use the same cheap brands as DGD. The problem is now that I have skin allergies and have to use organic or parabin free products, which I just google and order online. Moisteriser, foundation and mascara are organic, but the rest, blusher and eyeshadow, powder only, are from Superdrug and my eyebrows are tinted and shaped every six weeks. A lot of the time I do not bother with foundation.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Jul-21 11:02:04

I’ve used M&S ‘Formula’ range of skincare and makeup remover for years. It’s very reasonably priced and I prefer it to the Boots equivalents. Look Fabulous Forever is good for makeup but it’s pricey for skincare. M&S ‘Formula Restore’ works well for me and it’s also cruelty-free. I also use their ‘beauty balm’ (like tinted moisturiser) occasionally as I don’t like foundation. I buy online as I don’t have an M&S near me in the sticks. I wear eye makeup every day, applied with a light touch, and buy from a range of different companies. Can recommend LFF mascara and Maybelline ‘24 hour tattoo’ cream eyeshadow, they do lots of shades but I like Taupe (don’t be put off by the name, long lasting and nice on older eyelids). Also LFF lipstick if going ‘out out’, otherwise a tinted lip balm (Christian Dior Lip Glow is lovely, pricey but lasts for ever). I don’t read magazines, if I want something I search online and look at the reviews. It was through searching for a sweat-proof eye pencil recently that I discovered Marc Jacobs eye pencil which is everything-proof and the best I’ve ever found. Just a tiny bit along the roots of my lashes makes a huge difference. I’m afraid the no-makeup look adds years to me Espee, you’re obviously much luckier than I am!
By the way if you buy something from LFF and find it’s not for you you can return it for a full refund.