Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should E Scooters be banned?

(70 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 13:01:55

These are being trialled over the country and it looks like the government is going to approve them despite adults and children being injured by them and their use for criminal activities. They are unlikely to mean less cars on the road and those using them are not getting any exercise unlike those who cycle or walk.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Jul-21 13:05:51

Why should they be banned? People use cars for criminal activity and they hurt people too. Should cars be banned?

What an odd post.

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Jul-21 13:18:59

I see your point 25Avalon,but i also see AmberSpyglasses point.
Iv`e seen someone hit by one of those E Scooters,but iv`e also seen many car accidents and my dh was knocked into by a mobility scooter and had rather bad bruising.
Bacially,it`s down to the person driving/riding these vehicles.
IMO the scooters/mobility scooters should have a minimum MPH limit,ie:no more than 10mph.

Namsnanny Sun 18-Jul-21 13:33:22

Yes they should.

Im glad you posted this.
How on earth can it be sensible to put yet another vehicle on the busy pathways/cycle paths/roads?

No insurance, no training, no age limit. Seems so stupid to me.

They're illegal on pavements, cycle paths, roads at the moment, even though the Police dont enforce it. So the law has to be changed to accommodate them.

The batteries take resources away from other electronic devices, and the people who mine these have an awful existence.
Why make this commodity more scarce by using it in a poor excuse for 'reducing global warming'?

It's not an odd post at all. In fact it's odd to say so.

Lollin Sun 18-Jul-21 13:34:54

Yes, but they won’t be

Gransooz Sun 18-Jul-21 13:37:01

No. I’d love one!

eazybee Sun 18-Jul-21 13:42:18

I think they should; they are a danger to pedestrians and cannot cope in fast traffic.

Katie59 Sun 18-Jul-21 13:46:15

Much more convenient than a bike for commuting, easier to keep secure, my son has one.

Chardy Sun 18-Jul-21 13:53:05

I walk the dogs along the prom first thing. They've been a nuisance since well before the March 2020 lockdown. They're illegal except on private land, and because they're illegal there's no-one to service or insure them. If you were hit by one, it would break a bone.
The police stop them, 'educate' the rider and let them carry on!
At this very moment, the prom is full of families, old people, disabled people, little kids in buggies, on little scooters and small bikes, parents carrying babies in the arms and in baby slings. I guarantee they'll be escooters too, weaving in and out.
Another example of 'what I want is more important than your safety'.

Namsnanny Sun 18-Jul-21 13:56:10

I dont think the convenience should outway the safety etc.

Even if it is convenient for some, should the vast majority have their convenience (safe walking bike riding ect) ruined?

Namsnanny Sun 18-Jul-21 13:58:26

Gransoz go buy one and use it on private land.

Namsnanny Sun 18-Jul-21 13:59:56

I would ask if they weren't free everywhere, would people even bother to buy them.

The public is being 'groomed' to like them.

Galaxy Sun 18-Jul-21 14:02:23

Grooming is a fairly strong word, presumably they are encouraged to reduce car usage in town centres, in the same way bus lanes arent grooming, cycles lanesarent grooming, park and ride arent grooming.

Polarbear2 Sun 18-Jul-21 14:07:33

I’d love one. They look great fun and an easy way to do a short commute. No different to cycles imho. In Sheffield they’re building a dedicated route right through the City from the suburbs - not always on roads - a special path. Some minor roads are being closed tho to allow it. It’s the future I’m afraid. We can’t carry on using cars as we do. They’ll become for leisure or long journeys I’d guess.

Gransooz Sun 18-Jul-21 14:18:08

Namsnanny

Gransoz go buy one and use it on private land.

That’s a thought but I’ll probably wait till they’re legal. I think one would be good to take away in the motorhome. ?

Mollygo Sun 18-Jul-21 14:25:20

I’d love one. Not so tricky as a Segway and takes up less room than my scissor scooter, though not as good for exercise.
I take the point about batteries, which is why I’m doing more cycling than I used to but we’re being encouraged to buy electric cars.

Shropshirelass Sun 18-Jul-21 14:30:42

I live in a rural area and there aren’t many round here, but I do have one whizz across the road in front of me a few days ago. Only a young lad on it and certainly going much faster than he should have been going. It startled me as there was no sound! It must be awful in the built up areas. There needs to be more controls on who has them.

vegansrock Sun 18-Jul-21 14:41:21

Definitely ban them on pavements. Have an age/ speed limit and must wear helmets. We see them all the time here , very dangerous.

SueDonim Sun 18-Jul-21 14:57:01

I’ve been knocked down and badly injured by a cyclist - I shudder to think of the damage a collision with an e-scooter could cause.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:02:07

They are currently illegal in England apart from the trial in London (not sure if there are trials in other cities, I haven’t checked)

The police are confiscating any e-scooters they see being used on public roads and/or pavements and fining those riding them.

Not sure how I feel, maybe a good idea if they are to become legal that they have to pay nominal road tax/insurance along with compulsory helmets.

Infinity2 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:02:49

Where I live we already have problems with e scooters and the tool of the tools, quad bikes. They roar up and down the roads round here, without helmets, ignoring the rules of the road.
E scooters ride all over the roads and pavements usually being ridden not by responsible adults but morons in masks and hoodies , even in this weather ! I saw one this morning through the window.

Kamiso Sun 18-Jul-21 15:03:34

I had one whoosh past me at considerable speed recently. It was ridden by a heavyset man in his 30s/40s. The pavement is very wide but he chose to pass very close to me. You can’t legislate for idiots unfortunately.

They need speed restrictions built in and some kind of sound (though that wouldn’t help the deaf or hard of hearing) but would give some warning to most people.

Again mobility scooters need some kind of restrictor and sound. A woman was careering around Boots yesterday as if she was alone on a wide pavement. It could inflict serious damage if it ran you over and no insurance to cover time off work to recuperate or other expenses caused by the “accident”.

I do realise they are invaluable lifeline to people who really need them and use them sensibly.

25Avalon Sun 18-Jul-21 15:05:10

We have them on trial in Bath and Bristol.

Hetty58 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:15:28

If they reduce traffic, by replacing even some of the many (ridiculously) short car trips, I'm all in favour. Of course they should be speed-restricted and make some noise. Cleaner air is what we need!

MerylStreep Sun 18-Jul-21 15:17:53

I’ve seen a mobile phone snatched by a scrote driving one and my daughter has seen a bag snatch.
But at least they enable the pond life to get around faster to operate their county lines drug deals.