Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sugar free house guests

(71 Posts)
Mel2137 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:45:30

Hi All,
I hope you were all enjoying the weather. Here is a question...I am sugar free and alcohol free (only 9 days!). I am due to visit friends. Is it rude to refuse cake and dessert (and alcohol)? I don't need anything extra to be provided so it shouldn't be a problem. My question is, would you be annoyed if I was staying with you and didn't want to join in with dessert, cake and booze? Please be honest. It takes me gets to get back on track once I break it and I just prefer how I feel without it. Help!

sandelf Tue 20-Jul-21 11:33:49

Tell host. If everyone is having a drink, ask for water, squash, fruit tea, whatever. Cake ditto - you are not hungry, just had xyz... - I haven't eaten cake for years (wheat gives me migraine) - good friends understand, others I suspect think its a bit weird but I'm not making myself ill to please them! - At worst have some on a plate but be too absorbed in the conversation to remember to eat it! (You can have it in a napkin to take home for later, give it away to someone who would enjoy more etc - there are ways). Keep busy with conversation and be interested in everyone's doings. If food or drink come into the conversation - steer another way - some 'kind' person might otherwise try to fix you! Stick to your guns Gal!

Edith81 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:53:42

I would let your friends know beforehand that you have been advised to refrain from all sugary food, just in case.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Jul-21 11:55:17

I like to cook the same for everyone really (or lots of smaller dishes so people can pick and choose) so it's important to know early on what people don't eat and don't like.

Lulubelle500 Tue 20-Jul-21 11:56:20

How can it be rude? Just say you're having a sugar free time at the moment and that includes glasses of liquid sugar, sorry alcohol. They're your friends, they'll understand. BTW where is it written that nobody can have a good time without booze and buns?

Nannashirlz Tue 20-Jul-21 11:58:11

I also don’t drink I always take juice with me but you could take a sugar free cake with you, then you can also eat cake and not look like a party pooper or you could just watch them eat cake ? lol

Tish Tue 20-Jul-21 12:15:10

Wouldn’t bother me at all, just tell them in advance…. Doubt I could have your will power tho!?.

muffinthemoo Tue 20-Jul-21 12:20:44

I would be totally supportive but I would also want to be a good host so please let them know in advance so they can cater for you appropriately smile

Riggie Tue 20-Jul-21 12:23:06

It depends on what you mean by sugar free. Just deserts, cakes and biscuits etc or none at all? eg baked beans contain sugar so would you eat those or not, drink a glass of juice. If I was having to scrutinise everything I might serve up them that could be difficult!

No alcohol doesn't bother me as I rarely drink. But what will you have instead? Are you OK with just water because most soft drinks contain sugar.

coastalgran Tue 20-Jul-21 12:38:32

I have guests who refuse all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. Some guests I find irritating because I know that this is the latest fad but others I respect their wishes due to good reasons, mainly to do with lifestyle changes and weight/health issues. I also visit friends and have refused alcohol preferring fizzy water or a soft drink. I don't take sugar in tea or coffee and have never done so since childhood. Sometimes I will accept cake/biscuit but I need to be in the mood for this the same goes for puddings. I think you will find that people accept things without fuss. Go and enjoy.

Meta Tue 20-Jul-21 12:43:17

I’ve been doing Bright Line Eating for a year - lost four stone and feel so much better. It means I don’t eat added sugars or flours -including sweeteners of any kind - I’m actually finding it’s not a great issue. As others have said I let people know in advance, and say I eat everything else including fruit etc and make it plain I for them to carry on and enjoy what they want to eat as doesn’t bother me. Enjoy your stay.

Kryptonite Tue 20-Jul-21 13:22:25

Good for you Mel. I admire this very much. Let people know in advance that you are off all processed sugars so they can provide natural only - unless you're off that too. But let them know you're dietary requirements in advance. I think people should be getting used to people choosing, for whatever reason, healthier diets. My daughter did exactly this to the extent of reading packets in our house when she visited, for hidden sugars - and they are always there. She lost loads of weight this way and I felt quite inspired. Perhaps give your hosts some suggestions because it can be difficult sometimes to accommodate people. We also have vegetarians in the family who need special requirements. My daughter didn't break her processed sugar avoidance even at Christmas and Easter.

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Jul-21 13:34:42

The issue for me here is not processed sugar as I've only ever used this for Wedding/Christmas/Birthday cake decorations and to offer to builders.
Just please let them know what you mean by "sugar". And in answer to your OP, I would be irritated (not annoyed) if you hadn't told me.

Lulubelle500 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:29:48

Many congrats Meta! I'm so impressed because I've been trying to lose 8lbs left over from the 'We're not going anywhere so I can look a little bit fat!' time and it just won't GO.

Lilyflower Tue 20-Jul-21 16:55:07

If you let your hosts know in advance, take what you will drink during the meal with you and don’t make a fuss you should be fine.

GrannyTracey Tue 20-Jul-21 18:49:38

I love desserts but my group of girlfriends never have dessert . They all prefer a starter & main course . I am the only one who takes dessert . If you feel better why not tell them it’s for medical reasons & so far you are feeling so much better . I don’t drink much alcohol & I insist on pouring my own drinks when at friends . They all think I’m drinking gin & lemonade but I just pretend I have put the gin in . Funny how people get annoyed at you fir not drinking . What they don’t know won’t hurt them ?

Deedaa Tue 20-Jul-21 19:01:57

I can't see it being a problem. DS's partner is lactose and gluten intolerant. If I haven't made a gluten free dessert or we've run out of soya milk it's not a massive problem. She doesn't really drink alcohol either but most of my friends can take it or leave it. I think the host's job is to make their guests feel comfortable whatever their particular needs.

Kim19 Tue 20-Jul-21 19:12:14

My 'guests' (friends) are welcome to anything I have but if they are terribly faddy then they might starve unless they bring some sort of self survival items. We would discuss this of course. We might laugh, ridicule or admire whatever is going on but at the end of the day we're friends so.... pretty much anything goes.

kwest Tue 20-Jul-21 21:08:36

I have been diagnosed as prediabetic about five weeks ago. I have been invite to visit friends a couple of times just for a cup of tea. I asked the first friend if it could literally just be a cup of tea. It was fine. The second friend ( the invitation had been made prediagnosis)had made a lovely fruit loaf sliced and buttered. It looked lovely but I refused and explained why. She and her husband ate the fruit loaf. It wasn't a problem. I have enough images of diabetic abuse in my head to take away the urge to eat anything sweet.

f77ms Wed 21-Jul-21 08:04:06

Food fads irritate me unless it is a medical or allergy issue. Just warn your host in advance.

Brocky Wed 21-Jul-21 12:08:51

Well done for keeping to non-sugar. I would advise the hosts. Enjoy the meal with them.