Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sugar free house guests

(70 Posts)
Mel2137 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:45:30

Hi All,
I hope you were all enjoying the weather. Here is a question...I am sugar free and alcohol free (only 9 days!). I am due to visit friends. Is it rude to refuse cake and dessert (and alcohol)? I don't need anything extra to be provided so it shouldn't be a problem. My question is, would you be annoyed if I was staying with you and didn't want to join in with dessert, cake and booze? Please be honest. It takes me gets to get back on track once I break it and I just prefer how I feel without it. Help!

Lincslass Sun 18-Jul-21 20:52:52

Hi, I can’t see that this should be a problem, as you say, you won’t be asking for anything extra. If you had a medical problem and were unable to have sugar/ carbs your hosts wouldn’t think anything of it. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Tea3 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:53:07

It isn’t rude but best tell your hosts in advance.

Amberone Sun 18-Jul-21 20:53:22

It wouldn't bother me at all.

How long are you visiting for? I would be very happy to be given alternatives for dessert so that I didn't feel like my guest was missing out. You could take a bottle of something you do drink that they can serve you while they are having a glass of wine. Even if you know you don't mind it could make them feel awkward not to serve you something.

PaperMonster Sun 18-Jul-21 21:00:25

Wouldn’t bother me at all!

Mel2137 Sun 18-Jul-21 21:01:10

Thanks for your replies- I'm clearly over thinking things and going into 'people pleaser' mode! It's only a long weekend.

Lucca Sun 18-Jul-21 21:02:21

I do admire you going sugar free !

MerylStreep Sun 18-Jul-21 21:02:38

Well done you but it’s sounds as if your being very hard on yourself tackling all that in one go.
I’m sure your hosts will be fine.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 18-Jul-21 21:02:54

I wouldn’t be bothered by it, I always offer drinks or just water to everyone and often people will have water and refuse dessert, im not upset at all.

V3ra Sun 18-Jul-21 21:05:11

Would you eat cheese and crackers as a dessert? Grapes or celery? They'd always be an option in our house.

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 21:11:07

Tea3

It isn’t rude but best tell your hosts in advance.

This exactly. If I took the trouble to make cakes and puddings in advance, I'd be a tad miffed. Best be honest and explain, without making a fuss.

GrannySomerset Sun 18-Jul-21 21:11:54

Kindest to warn your hosts in case they were planning something special with you in mind and would be disappointed if you couldn’t eat it.

fevertree Sun 18-Jul-21 21:12:29

Hi Mel, good for you! I think that nowadays people are accustomed to people having all sorts of food preferences and/or stuff they avoid eating or drinking.

As a host, I would offer a guest a piece of fruit or cheese and biscuits instead of dessert and I wouldn't blink an eye if a guest didn't want alcohol.

You are overthinking it smile - have fun!

Doodledog Sun 18-Jul-21 21:15:39

I wouldn't mind at all. I think it might be wise to let them know in advance though, and definitely take a bottle or two of something alcohol-free to drink, as people often don't think about providing anything other than water for guests who don't drink.

Having said that, the last time I did that the other guests helped themselves to my booze-free fizz, so I was left with water by the end of the evening ?.

CafeAuLait Sun 18-Jul-21 23:34:53

It wouldn't bother me but I'd appreciate knowing in advance. If I were planning to make something special it might save me the trouble.

NotSpaghetti Mon 19-Jul-21 01:01:12

It's quite a lot of extra work frankly.
I'd do it's a "host" but not straightforward if you are menu planning.
Are you anti all sugars?

I recently made deserts using coconut sugar and maple syrup for someone but it took me a while to organise ingredients etc.

Vegan no-sugar frosting, for example needs organising if you are only vegetarian rather than vegan.

Shelflife Mon 19-Jul-21 08:10:58

Wouldn't be a problem for me. Tell your friend you no longer take sugar or alcohol. I am sure your host can deal with that , it doesn't inconvenience anyone else. Not a major issue , stick to your guns and don't feel uncomfortable about it. Enjoy your stay.

25Avalon Mon 19-Jul-21 08:12:39

Not if you told me

BlueSky Mon 19-Jul-21 08:24:24

Where’s the problem if you don’t require an alternative? But do mention it beforehand in case they get extra sugary items and alcohol. Great that you are doing this.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jul-21 08:38:02

NotSpaghetti

It's quite a lot of extra work frankly.
I'd do it's a "host" but not straightforward if you are menu planning.
Are you anti all sugars?

I recently made deserts using coconut sugar and maple syrup for someone but it took me a while to organise ingredients etc.

Vegan no-sugar frosting, for example needs organising if you are only vegetarian rather than vegan.

That's what I was thinking, too. Lots of foodstuffs are full of not obvious sugar.

So I'd want to know at what level the sugar avoidance starts.
And what about the non alcoholic drinks that have sugar in them (i.e. most of them)?

eazybee Mon 19-Jul-21 08:58:11

There is nothing wrong at all as long as you warn the hosts
in advance, and don't lecture anyone about your choices, as some vegetarians are prone to do.
It used to be really difficult to refuse alcohol because hosts took it as an implied criticism of their drinking habits but now it is simply accepted that sometimes guests prefer water.
Likewise if they offer you an alternative to pudding such as fruit and cheese, accept it; nothing worse than a guest sitting with an empty plate whilst everyone else is eating.

eazybee Mon 19-Jul-21 09:00:43

Not meant as an attack on vegetarians, just an example.

timetogo2016 Mon 19-Jul-21 09:02:39

Wouldn`t bother me one bit.

Polarbear2 Mon 19-Jul-21 09:04:27

No issue. I’ve not eaten cakes and desserts for years. Just not bothered. I’ll have fruit or cheese. Alcohol I do like but it’s very common now for people not to have it. Let them know tho just in case they’re big on that kind of stuff - just so they don’t waste time or money.

Shropshirelass Mon 19-Jul-21 09:08:09

I am the same as you. I follow the Ketogenic way of eating so lots of things I don’t have bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, grains and pulses, sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol. I would t mind if someone visiting declined any foodI have offered and I also don’t mind if people don’t have alcohol, in fact I prefer it if they don’t!