Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think of the Queen’s new statue?

(100 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 19-Aug-21 14:32:42

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee statue has been unveiled at York Minster where it will be installed next year. A lot of people think it looks nothing like her. I think it looks pretty awful. What do other gnetters think?

Kalu Thu 19-Aug-21 18:34:31

That is truly awful. I would be demanding my money back!

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Aug-21 18:45:18

These are just the initial models and design sketches though - there’s a long way to go!

Parsley3 Thu 19-Aug-21 18:49:19

The statue is to be over 6 ft tall so it might look better in the flesh, as it were. I quite like the way he has fashioned the Royal perm.

25Avalon Thu 19-Aug-21 18:55:11

Parsley3

The statue is to be over 6 ft tall so it might look better in the flesh, as it were. I quite like the way he has fashioned the Royal perm.

You mean if it’s up high enough so we won’t see it!

Bridie22 Thu 19-Aug-21 18:56:51

Awful!!

Lincslass Thu 19-Aug-21 19:31:15

BlueBelle

Ok I ve found it and I think it’s pretty awful, she looks harder and uglier than she is, even in her old age
She’s got a very furrowed forehead and the mouth is too wide
I think he could have made her look nicer without it being untruthful
If I was a generation after her death I would not think she was very pleasing to look at like when I see statues of Victoria who may possible have looked better in real life

You’re charming aren’t you. Looked in your own mirror lately.

Callistemon Thu 19-Aug-21 19:35:33

She does not look amused.
She looks stern and grumpy, not benign - obviously smiling or laughing might not be appropriate but that is just awful.

And if anyone made a statue of me with a neck like that I think I'd topple myself on top of them as they chiselled it.

Millie22 Thu 19-Aug-21 20:12:24

No she looks like a grumpy man.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Aug-21 20:48:10

What’s the heck that suppose to mean lincslass ? What are you meaning ?

Lucca Thu 19-Aug-21 22:46:05

Lincslass, sorry but your comment to bluebelle was very rude, (and you have clearly misunderstood what she said,)

BlueBelle Thu 19-Aug-21 23:02:06

Thank you lucca I was wondering what on earth I said to rattle lincslass so much

Callistemon Thu 19-Aug-21 23:18:57

I think you totally misunderstood what Bluebelle said Lincslass.

Bluebellwould Thu 19-Aug-21 23:26:50

If you block off the hair and just look at the face it looks like a man. It’s very hard and an unsympathetic rendering.

Shinamae Thu 19-Aug-21 23:38:05

BlueBelle

ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/05CF/production/_119978410_0g-ujiaw.jpg

Just followed your link bluebelle, I think she looks absolutely awful….?‍♀️

Spice101 Fri 20-Aug-21 00:14:48

Don't like it one bit. To me the one thing about HM is that her eyes are always soft and smiling. This is exactly the opposite.

Grany Fri 20-Aug-21 01:00:17

What about Andrew wanted for questioning by FBI RF thinks it will spoil the Platimum Jubilee

And about tax shelters

Leah McGrath Goodman
@truth_eater
The Queen's PR firm, Farrer & Co, do not like journalists asking about possible money-laundering on one of the Queen's tax shelters. They also object to journalists checking the facts with additional sources and, generally, doing journalism.

Lots more uncovered on Twitter

Perhaps people are getting bored with this Windsor family

vegansrock Fri 20-Aug-21 06:46:17

Aren’t most statues of specific people rubbish anyway? What’s the point of them? No one knows who half of them are supposed to be. In 50 or 100 years time no one will care. There are plenty of photos of the Queen why does anyone need a statue? A garden named after the person much nicer.

Grandma70s Fri 20-Aug-21 07:02:03

I gather it’s going to be in a niche on the west front of the minster, so out of doors and not where anyone will be inspecting it closely.

Redhead56 Fri 20-Aug-21 10:09:56

Who commissioned this horrid statue just like the recent Diana one it’s not a likeness it’s grotesque.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 10:14:43

vegansrock

Aren’t most statues of specific people rubbish anyway? What’s the point of them? No one knows who half of them are supposed to be. In 50 or 100 years time no one will care. There are plenty of photos of the Queen why does anyone need a statue? A garden named after the person much nicer.

I agree vegansrock

I think she would rather the money was spent on planting more trees, perhaps another forest named after her like the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Wood in Leicestershire.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 10:16:10

Before anyone jumps on what I said - I only think that, I don't actually know
???????

Sparklefizz Fri 20-Aug-21 10:25:48

Looks awful - but agree with the person who said it looked more like Princess Margaret..... a bad version of her.

Redhead56 Fri 20-Aug-21 10:27:04

That’s a good idea trees with a seating area would be very nice.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 10:34:56

If they want trees, I can provide some tiny oak trees - they are springing up all over the garden beds, in the lawn, in my flowerpots, courtesy of Cyril Squirrel!

JaneJudge Fri 20-Aug-21 10:47:19

Callistemon

If they want trees, I can provide some tiny oak trees - they are springing up all over the garden beds, in the lawn, in my flowerpots, courtesy of Cyril Squirrel!

same here smile the acorns landed in a pot below the tree and they have all spouted up in the pot. I thought about digging them up and giving them to our village school...